• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do coach drivers not apologise when services are late?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 33

Established Member
I've been on a number of coach services that get heavily delayed enroute and arrive very late at the destinations, i.e. 45 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, and a few extreme examples of about 6 hours! Not once though do I recall on any of these heavily delayed journeys the coach drivers apologising on the PA system for the delay and the inconvenience it will cause. Anyone generally find this too? If so, why do they not apologise?(even though it is of course not their fault themselves)

Yet on train services which have any sort of delay, there is usually some PA announcements apologising for the delay. Sometimes when it is not even really necessary. For instance I was on a service to Taunton a few weeks ago. And it arrived into Weston-Super-Mare just TWO minutes late, and the conductor put a PA announcement saying "We are arriving into Weston-Super-Mare two minutes late. We apologise for the delay and the inconvenience this will cause.". A bit silly and not really necessary apologising for just a 2 minute delay!

So it's a extreme contrast between train and coach services that are delayed. PA announcements on trains apologising for services which are just a few minutes late. Whilst on coach services, journeys could be late by 1 hour, 2 hour or even as long as 6 hours and no PA announcements atall apologising for the delay!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
On a train the passengers can’t see the problem, on a coach you can see out the windows that you’re sat in traffic.

Sorry we’re currently sat in traffic. Pointless announcement when you can see it for yourself!

Wirewiper

Also on most trains there is a person to make announcements who isn't trying to drive as well. I'd rather the driver concentrated on one job at a time.

gnolife

Established Member
On a train the passengers can’t see the problem, on a coach you can see out the windows that you’re sat in traffic.

Sorry we’re currently sat in traffic. Pointless announcement when you can see it for yourself!
But if I get on a coach in Glasgow, heading for London, that's delayed due to traffic in Aberdeen, it might be nice if they did put an announcement out, so that everyone is on the same page.

richw

Veteran Member
But if I get on a coach in Glasgow, heading for London, that's delayed due to traffic in Aberdeen, it might be nice if they did put an announcement out, so that everyone is on the same page.
I've heard it on pick ups from National Express, but not on the final drop which is what I understood the OP was asking for?

trainmania100

Established Member
Also on most trains there is a person to make announcements who isn't trying to drive as well. I'd rather the driver concentrated on one job at a time.
Yeah I often hear my train drivers taking over the PA , especially on DOO 700s you can hear the AWS going off when they're speaking lol

Mwanesh

I remember one day leaving London for Bristol and telling passengers that part of the M4 was shut we will be taking a diversion.That weekend Jct 11-13 was shut and to make it worse there were 2 accidents further down the motorway so 16 to 18 was at a standstill.I came off at 15 and took the A419 up then M5 down.This young lady came down and she was going mental why i was going that way .Despite her friends trying to reason with her she demanded to be taken down the M4 .I finally lost my patience and pulled into Gloucester services to leave her there .I left her in the hands of two cops she was off her head on something .She did put in a complaint about going off route but the audio on the coaches was clear as day .

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Because if the train is late it is usually the railway's fault in some form (excepting things like passenger action). Whereas most coach delays are not the fault of the driver or coach company?

richw

Veteran Member
I believe a PA system is only allowed to be used if handsfree as well and come under same rules as a mobile phone? Passengers are more interested in getting off than waiting for an announcement sorry were late I’ll delay you another 30 seconds to apologise for being late!
Natex have a pre recorded CD for the required announcements

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've been delayed on Megabus a few times. They usually apologise as we stop at each stop - sometimes giving the reason. They tend not to do that on overnight services, presumably trying not to disturb people if they don't need to.

robk23oxf

Not on coaches but on local buses but if I'm running late then I will happily explain why to anyone who asks. What I won't do is stand up and make an announcement at every stop or explain to each passenger as they board why I'm running late as that just adds to the delay which I doubt anyone wants.

Chris217

Sometimes you get the clever or not so clever passengers with the smarmy remarks
'You're late"
I tell them...
I'm not late...the bus is!
Or....

If only I could bypass all stops
Go through red lights and drive over cars
stopped in front of me in traffic jams....
being on time would then be simple!
And I won't even mention those who have waited and haven't got their pass or fare ready or worse...The £20 note brigade for a £2.20 fare!

Liverpool is roadworks city atm.
So I am happy to run late as it's not my fault!

Mal

If your National Express coach arrives an hour or more late at your destination, get in touch with NX as soon as possible giving all journey details and you will get a voucher for a single journey.

Martin2012

I have tended to find NX drivers have been really apologetic if there has been a delay.

I remember once being on a journey from Leeds to Bristol which required a change of coach at Birmingham. Think it was the everyday service from Bradford to Oxford which was then worked by Arriva. We were held up in traffic en route but the driver was really apologetic and more than once took to the PA system to assure passengers that they would get their connections in Birmingham.

As a contrast though a few months after that I ended up on the same journey but this time being driven by a driver from a private hire firm that only did weekend NX work. The service from Leeds was heavily delayed getting to Birmingham due to a combination of bad weather and heavy traffic and we arrived long after the Bristol coach had departed. The driver did not apologise or give any advice/instructions to passengers with connections. When I approached a member of staff in Birmingham it turned out they weren't aware there were any connecting passengers.

Obviously the main NX contractors are more knowledgeable about what to do if there is a delay.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's probably understandable to some extent (though NX could do with dealing with it) - private hire drivers are hired to drive coaches, generally, normally the hiring organisation will deal with what you might term customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.