• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do EMT serve Scarborough in the Summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trawler

The Leicester service used to run via Hull (But not calling at Hull Paragon Station) on the Anlaby Rd curve. As I recall the only booked passenger train on this short section of track next to the KCOM Stadium. There is a Bridlington to Stratford Railtour this Saturday using 'the curve'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trawler

Looks like there are East Midland Train drivers based at Sheffield. Just taken this off their website.. Our driving teams are based across our network, we have mainline driver depots based in Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham, Lincoln, Norwich and London.

Tomnick

Established Member
Looks like there are East Midland Train drivers based at Sheffield. Just taken this off their website.. Our driving teams are based across our network, we have mainline driver depots based in Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham, Lincoln, Norwich and London.
Despite what the website might claim, there are no drivers based at Sheffield.

Mugby

Established Member
Doesn't the fact that EMT retains this service allow them to control the fares on the section south of York? (or at least some part of it)

scarby

Incidentally, this service ran through to Scarborough as empty stock for about 4-5 weeks in succession some time around February-March. I assume that must have been for route learning.

On Moderation
Incidentally, this service ran through to Scarborough as empty stock for about 4-5 weeks in succession some time around February-March. I assume that must have been for route learning.

It will be to ensure route knowledge doesn't lapse.

Skipness

Although the this is marketed as a through train to Scarborough, when I travelled last year there was a 30 minute (around) in layover Sheffield.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Although the this is marketed as a through train to Scarborough, when I travelled last year there was a 30 minute (around) in layover Sheffield.

Yes, I don't really know why, anyone know the reason? If I recall, return is the same.

The EMT Skegness HST is on new times this year. Much earlier off Derby, and just the one out and back (to Derby) trip. I think the inbound trip is very early for those going on a weeks holiday, as you can't usually get into accommodation till around 3/4pm. Equally the return is too early for those on a day trip! Either way, I expect there to be some overcrowded sprinters!

Crossover

Established Member

Yes, I don't really know why, anyone know the reason? If I recall, return is the same.

The EMT Skegness HST is on new times this year. Much earlier off Derby, and just the one out and back (to Derby) trip. I think the inbound trip is very early for those going on a weeks holiday, as you can't usually get into accommodation till around 3/4pm. Equally the return is too early for those on a day trip! Either way, I expect there to be some overcrowded sprinters!

I guess the waits will be for paths or to fit it into the normal MML paths on the return

Looking for when it starts again, the "Down" service has a 31 minute wait at Sheffield. The return "Up" working has just under 10 minutes at Doncaster and around 5 minutes at York and Sheffield

theblackwatch

Established Member
This train goes back to BR days . In the early 1980s it started at Luton and run to Scarborough, using one of the "Bedford Line " commuter sets of Mark 1s . That sat idle at weekends in the Sidings at Bedford .

And in the early 1990s, it became a Cross Country service (Derby-Scarborough), which then returned south as a Scarborough to Swansea train IIRC. I think it was a year or two later, it became a DMU from Leicester - I can remember a pair of Tyseley 117s in Regional Railways colours appearing one summer.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Despite what the website might claim, there are no drivers based at Sheffield.

How does the crewing of the Leeds HSTs work? Does a Derby/Notts driver take the train to Leeds in the evening, do depot duties overnight then return to Derby/Notts the following morning before signing off (i.e. the Leeds workings are covered on night turns?)

Pumbaa

Established Member
No. Derby drivers taxi'd to and from.

NH has its own depot drivers.

Gemz91

What are the HST timings to and From Skegness this year?

Tomnick

Established Member
How does the crewing of the Leeds HSTs work? Does a Derby/Notts driver take the train to Leeds in the evening, do depot duties overnight then return to Derby/Notts the following morning before signing off (i.e. the Leeds workings are covered on night turns?)
No. Derby drivers taxi'd to and from.

NH has its own depot drivers.
There certainly used to be (very recently) at least a couple of night turns at Derby, each taking a late one down to Leeds and back up with an early one the next morning. I can't imagine that that would've changed. As suggested, though, shed drivers do all the 'depot duties' once the set's on NH (or indeed NL!).

Last edited:

Hairy Bear

5 sets go up each night (mon -thur). 3 sets have the driver taxied back. 3 fresh drivers sign on and are taxied up to work back. The other 2 work up, rest there weary bodies for a few hours, then work empty to Sheff to take up there workings.
Slightly different over the weekend jobs.

David Turner

Why do EMT operate to Scarborough on summer Saturdays.....well especially for regular travellers like me returning home to my birthplace. I live in Adelaide in South Australia and in 2015 made my first trip home in thirty two years. As I was travelling with a LOT of luggage, a through train was a bonus. Just hope its still running in another thirty two years!

Status
Not open for further replies.