• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why have climate change concerns suddenly increased?

Status
Not open for further replies.

341o2

Established Member
I think the major porblem is some people (environmentalists) very much care about climate change and talk about it almost every day, but do not do anything practical or change their behaviour or just changed the least important part.
They always expect the other person to make the sacrifice, usually regarding car usage.

Recently, Boris Johnson chartered a private helicopter to travel to West Bromwich for the purpose of promoting a cycle hire scheme. Not for the first time has he flown (eg between Darlington and Doncaster) when there is a perfectly adequate rail service.

I do not deny climate change, but I don't believe if I stopped driving and rode a bicycle everywhere the planet will be saved

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I do not deny climate change, but I don't believe if I stopped driving and rode a bicycle everywhere the planet will be saved
As I noted above, the planet won't care in the slightest about yet another species going extinct.

However, if everyone was more thoughtful about their resource usage then human kind might have a chance of lasting long enough for the next dominant species to find us worthy of writing about.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Why has the concerns regarding climate change suddenly became a top priority again?

Has there been any reason for this? It seems to be all we hear about in the media at the moment.
Presumably numerous green issue PR departments have been busy ahead of the upcoming Cop26 Climate Summit in Glasgow, providing media outlets with a plethora of ready to use news stories?

(That's not to belittle the green movement, just an indication as to how well-organised lobby groups can sometimes influence the news agenda of the day).

Last edited:

AndrewE

Established Member
I take it that you have no descendants then. At least I can look my grandchildren in the eye and say "I did what I could to prevent it."

If you tried cycling instead of driving (where it was feasible) several things might happen:
a) you would save on your fuel bill
b) traffic would get more used to having bikes around - there is safety in numbers - and providing better facilities might get given a higher priority
c) if you used buses where appropriate a and b would apply too
d) you would probably get fitter
e) if you got really fed up with the poor deal you experienced as a pedestrian/cyclist/bus user you might write to your MP pointing out that you would like to help the gov't achieve its carbon reduction targets but at present the facilities are so poor and dangerous that you will probably keep on undermining them.

341o2

Established Member
I take it that you have no descendants then. At least I can look my grandchildren in the eye and say "I did what I could to prevent it."

If you tried cycling instead of driving (where it was feasible) several things might happen:
b) traffic would get more used to having bikes around - there is safety in numbers - and providing better facilities might get given a higher priority
e) if you got really fed up with the poor deal you experienced as a pedestrian/cyclist/bus user you might write to your MP pointing out that you would like to help the gov't achieve its carbon reduction targets but at present the facilities are so poor and dangerous that you will probably keep on undermining them.
I know, I know, Santa won't be leaving any presents for me either, because I am a naughty boy

AndrewE

Established Member
I know, I know, Santa won't be leaving any presents for me either, because I am a naughty boy
I don't know whether that says "I don't care/I don't really believe it" or "I can't be bothered" or "It's only going to be poor people in other parts of the world who will suffer."
I fully support Greta and the other activists and I also think Joanna Lumley is right. Why didn't we hear anything about green initiatives in the Budget? They ought really to be the highest priority now.
Why nothing about integrated bus and train timetables? or increasing bus services so that they are more likely to be used? (and restoring evening services - we have just lost ours.)
If we are going to make a step-change reduction in CO2 emissions then the Treasury needs to be made answerable for the green deliverables, to stop them vetoing almost everything that obviously needs doing. It's going to cost a lot more to cope with the damage than it would have cost to head it off.

HSTEd

Veteran Member

Or more likely my bicycle would be rapidly and repeatedly stolen and I would save little or no money overall.

najaB

Veteran Member
Or more likely my bicycle would be rapidly and repeatedly stolen and I would save little or no money overall.
I guess that depends on where you live, but I know several people who regularly used to cycle into the office and none of them have had their bikes stolen. Two did have accidents caused by careless drivers, but no stolen bikes.

brad465

Established Member
I do think law and order has a role in combating climate change. This example is of course one, along with extra effort to ensure safe driving/road use generally, while another example is improving street safety so kids can walk to school without so much worry from their parents, who these days drive big 4x4s less than a mile to drop their kids off.

southern442

Established Member
The problem is some people said they removed their head from the sand but do nothing, except some may make a banner or board to join the protest to show how they care about climate change.
What's your point? That there are some people who pretend to care but actually don't, therefore none of us should do anything?
As an aside some of the most vocal eco-protesters and the like that I know of DO actually do stuff, many are vegan/vegetarian, many don't drive, they cycle and use public transport etc. This idea of performative activism being widespread is a very convenient one so that people who don't seem to care have an excuse not to care (or maybe to irrationally hide one's own subconscious fear), but actually by and large the idea of people posting about things on social media and protesting but then actually not doing anything themselves is one that represents a very slim proportion of climate activists.

There is also the 'no ethical consumption under capitalism' argument, which is that under the current system in which we live in it is very difficult to make large meaningful change, however there are far more capitalist supporters on this forum than I'd care to argue with about that, and besides it's not a 100% solid argument anyways, we can all do little things.

Indeed as rail enthusiasts we largely have a slight preference to use railways over private transport when we can, and therefore just by being rail enthusiasts we are doing a little bit for the planet :D

Gostav

many are vegan/vegetarian
I agree that being vegetarian is good for health and the environment, but some people seem to regard vegetarianism as a strict religious precept.
many don't drive, they cycle and use public transport etc.
Also l always use public transport in the UK, maybe the range of people I blame is too broad, l really hate the supporters of Greenpeace and Extinction Rebellion who completely deviate from the concept of environmental protection, look they actions, climate strikes, blocked the roads, gatecrashed speeches. If they really want, they should help the construction of HS2 and other infrastructure constructions in UK and participate in voluntary labor on local industrial to help us reduce import demand from China, but I forgot, they hate industry, and they hate new construction projects like HS2.

If you really want ask how can we make Westerners truly environmentally friendly? I have heard such a saying from some migrants: Only need to crush their economy and industries, let them fall to the level of Eastern Europe or more low, make their currency worthless, they can only choose public transportation and buy used vehicles, they would save everything, also they will move into apartments instead of independent houses because they will not be able to pay for heating. Only the economy is what drives them to make changes and don’t worry about them, the cruel life will teach them how to get used to it.

Last edited:

richa2002

Established Member
To go back to the OP's specific question of why this propaganda explosion is occurring now and not in the last 20 years, it's simply to get people used to the idea that their freedom to broadly eat what they want, drive where they want and consume the energy they want will be curtailed. In normal times this would cause uproar so 'climate change' will be the excuse everyone nods along to whilst they freeze at home and standard of living plummets. But it will be the "right" thing to do, much like lockdown, regardless of the collateral damage. Proper debate will not be permitted and it will never be what you vote for at the ballot box, it just... happens. It's your usual "end of the world" cult which has been around since the dawn of man yet strangely the end of the world never actually comes. It's for political reasons.

The biggest giveaway that something fishy is going on is if YouTube or Facebook start tagging their own messages to posts regarding a certain subject. Supposedly to counter 'misinformation' but this increasingly just means any material against the official government/corporate narrative. We saw this with Covid and it's happening again with climate change. Strap in!

NSEFAN

Established Member
To go back to the OP's specific question of why this propaganda explosion is occurring now and not in the last 20 years, it's simply to get people used to the idea that their freedom to broadly eat what they want, drive where they want and consume the energy they want will be curtailed. In normal times this would cause uproar so 'climate change' will be the excuse everyone nods along to whilst they freeze at home and standard of living plummets. But it will be the "right" thing to do, much like lockdown, regardless of the collateral damage. Proper debate will not be permitted and it will never be what you vote for at the ballot box, it just... happens. It's your usual "end of the world" cult which has been around since the dawn of man yet strangely the end of the world never actually comes. It's for political reasons.

The biggest giveaway that something fishy is going on is if YouTube or Facebook start tagging their own messages to posts regarding a certain subject. Supposedly to counter 'misinformation' but this increasingly just means any material against the official government/corporate narrative. We saw this with Covid and it's happening again with climate change. Strap in!
Realistically, if nothing is done to mitigate the changes which are happening then the cost of food and energy will go up, which means people will indeed have their "freedoms curtaiiled" by market forces alone.

Certainly energy can be solved (switching to renewable electricity+nuclear), and food can be if people are prepared to change their eating habits. But the status quo is just not sustainable in the long term.

brad465

Established Member
The irony being domestic aviation is still working, sending a message that we can’t put all our eggs in the unreliable railway basket no matter how much those riding the climate bandwagon would like us to do so.

Indeed… If the climate change activists were truly in it for what they purport to represent, they’d not travel from around the world but would do the conference online.
(I've moved this into this thread to prevent going off topic)

So why don't you demand the Government puts serious investment into making the railway more reliable and affordable, and not cut flight taxes instead of insulting activists for having an opinion? This is a rail forum after all.

As for not travelling around the world, the world leaders need to set a better example in that regard, and they could hardly be described as climate activists. I agree it should be online/remote, but not all those flying in are activists, and I'm almost certain if Greta Thunberg does attend she won't be flying, given she's travelled to Davos over a couple of days by train.

Also aviation is as prone to weather disruption as the railways are: high winds cause delays, this country doesn't handle snow disruption as well as Scandinavian airports do, and sometimes airports can be flooded as well, or more likely routes to airports are flooded so users can't get to/from them.

It is possible to both oppose covid restrictions and support action on climate change, as I do, especially in the case of mask mandates as they are very bad for the environment, given the resources they require to make and emissions in production, and most especially in their dumping in landfills and oceans.

najaB

Veteran Member
especially in the case of mask mandates as they are very bad for the environment, given the resources they require to make and emissions in production, and most especially in their dumping in landfills and oceans.
All true of "disposable" masks. There are other types.

The Ham

Established Member
All true of "disposable" masks. There are other types.

The cloth masks still require significant resources to make, which could be used for other purposes (obviously less of an issue if you make them from clothing which otherwise had reached the end of its life).

However that's not what the vast majority are.

takno

Established Member

The rapidly rising cost of energy is mostly down to the fact that energy policy over the last 15 years has involved throwing gas at everything even while failing to develop our own gas sources. Now we, and to a lesser extent much of Europe, are in hock to the Russian government, who are clearly not the good guys.

Getting rid of coal was a good thing environmentally, but doing it without a plan was madness. We should have got on with nuclear much sooner. We should also have been installing heat pumps for years instead of funding slightly-more-efficient gas boilers and solar panels. We've also brilliantly managed to get growing use of smart meters and electric cars, but have almost nobody set up on a tariff that encourages them to charge the things when electricity is plentiful rather than during the peak.

We've haplessly failed to plan energy policy at all for 15 years. Environmentalism has been the driver some of the rush to gas, but mostly it has just been the world moving on while we elect governments who are profoundly incapable of governing. They've messed up the economy as well, and education and the health service.

All of our bad decisions coming home to roost. That isn't a sinister government plan. It's a shameful government without a plan desperately trying to catch up.

nlogax

Established Member
All of our bad decisions coming home to roost. That isn't a sinister government plan. It's a shameful government without a plan desperately trying to catch up.

That sums it up nicely. The UK has been very good at the short term measures needed to kick out the really harmful stuff and increasing gas usage as a stop-gap, but that's where the work stopped. All the strategic thinking, doing and funding looked to be outsourced to the private sector..and here we are.

brad465

Established Member
We've haplessly failed to plan energy policy at all for 15 years. Environmentalism has been the driver some of the rush to gas, but mostly it has just been the world moving on while we are manipulated by oligarchs in the media and corporate lobbyists to elect governments who are profoundly incapable of governing. They've messed up the economy as well, and education and the health service.
Fixed it for you.

najaB

Veteran Member
I wouldn't necessarily argue with that. It just looks a bit more conspiracy theoryish than it needs to.
Indeed. To mangle a quote: "Never assign to conspiracy that which is sufficiently explained by incompetence."

brad465

Established Member
I wouldn't necessarily argue with that. It just looks a bit more conspiracy theoryish than it needs to.
Indeed. To mangle a quote: "Never assign to conspiracy that which is sufficiently explained by incompetence."
Whatever the case, I think we should remember that nobody is born with knowledge on what is right or wrong and how to survive, etc., they learn things through their upbringing, mainstream education and whatever influences exist that they're exposed to, with the media industry being a major influence. If the way a critical mass of the electorate votes is counterproductive to a successful cohesive society, it's no good blaming individuals for voting/behaving in a certain way if the systems that enabled them are also not tackled.

southern442

Established Member
I agree that being vegetarian is good for health and the environment, but some people seem to regard vegetarianism as a strict religious precept.
This is irrelevant to the discussion.
Also l always use public transport in the UK, maybe the range of people I blame is too broad, l really hate the supporters of Greenpeace and Extinction Rebellion who completely deviate from the concept of environmental protection, look they actions, climate strikes, blocked the roads, gatecrashed speeches. If they really want, they should help the construction of HS2 and other infrastructure constructions in UK and participate in voluntary labor on local industrial to help us reduce import demand from China, but I forgot, they hate industry, and they hate new construction projects like HS2.
There are two things here. The recent actions and protests of XR and Greenpeace are disruptive, yes, but that's the intention. The intention is entirely to cause a scene. And it's worked, because everyone knows about them now, and everyone talks about climate change now. The environment is now much further up the average voter's list of concerns, for example, than 3 or 4 years ago. So by all accounts they have been somewhat of a success.

When it comes to HS2 the waters are muddied a bit; as you say high-speed rail is a cornerstone in lowering our transport emissions, and yes whilst it's been gone about in a shambolic way, it's still needed. Perhaps for this reason, there hasn't been that same shift to being anti-HS2 in the same way.
If you really want ask how can we make Westerners truly environmentally friendly? I have heard such a saying from some migrants: Only need to crush their economy and industries, let them fall to the level of Eastern Europe or more low, make their currency worthless, they can only choose public transportation and buy used vehicles, they would save everything, also they will move into apartments instead of independent houses because they will not be able to pay for heating. Only the economy is what drives them to make changes and don’t worry about them, the cruel life will teach them how to get used to it.
This would certainly be one way! Essentially I am of the belief that we can still make a difference and be more sustainable whilst the vast majority of people will not see any reduction in their standards of living. This is done not by forcing but by encouraging people to make better choices by simply making those choices the more attractive option. The exception here is people who live outrageous levels of luxury, but in my opinion they've had it too good for too long anyways.

dakta

"The intention is entirely to cause a scene. And it's worked, because everyone knows about them now, "

Well it's true that I know about them, but my opinion of them tends to drop everytime I hear the next thing they have done and when trying to persuade people to move away from comfortable conveniences I would have considered 'any publicity is good publicity' as a risky concept.

I would say for me, these activists have done more harm than good. Good news is, if anyone's been following Brian Cox's documentaries, it's a complete non-issue anyway - these problems are short term in a universal sense and are not going to last. (nor are we, or the milky way for that matter). If you really want to put a sticky plaster on this terminal condition lets work on the overpopulation thats demanding so much consumption.

southern442

Established Member
"The intention is entirely to cause a scene. And it's worked, because everyone knows about them now, "

Well it's true that I know about them, but my opinion of them tends to drop everytime I hear the next thing they have done and when trying to persuade people to move away from comfortable conveniences I would have considered 'any publicity is good publicity' as a risky concept.
I think it depends. XR and Greenpeace have a very clear message, and even if people get ticked off at what they do, I think that bad is outweighed by the fact that everyone talks about the climate now. And quite a good deal more people care about it now than before. Remember the suffragettes were considered terrorists in their day, but they were very effective at getting women the vote, since, well, women have the vote now.

Insulate Britain, on the other hand, I think are doing a terrible job and your reasoning here would more than apply to them. But that's a bit off-topic.

And again, I am a firm believer that with the right system change, the average Joe won't have to make any changes to their daily lives that will drastically reduce their quality of life. With system change we can make the alternatives just as comfortable, perhaps more so, at the expense of those who again I believe have had it too good for too long.
I would say for me, these activists have done more harm than good.
What's your reasoning for that? Remember, the aim isn't ultimately to make everyone love them, they are not political parties. Their main aim is to raise awareness of the issues, and even though your opinion of the activists themselves is low, you clearly do care about the issues, and this will be the same for many others. People are much more aware of the problem now even if they resent the people who gave them that awareness in the first place.
Good news is, if anyone's been following Brian Cox's documentaries, it's a complete non-issue anyway - these problems are short term in a universal sense and are not going to last. (nor are we, or the milky way for that matter). If you really want to put a sticky plaster on this terminal condition lets work on the overpopulation thats demanding so much consumption.
Your first point is of course tongue in cheek - it would probably be better for earth as a whole if we all just went and shot each other in the head right now - but of course we as a species instinctively want to survive just like any other species.

Your second is one way of looking at things - although it is worth noting that 'overpopulated' countries often have their residents living very sustainable lives. China for example, the world's worst polluter and arguably the most overpopulated nation (or one of them at least) actually has a much smaller emissions and consumption per capita than the UK, for example. Of course that is in no way a defence for the significant impact that their industries have on the world's carbon footprint, it's just worth noting that if some of these overpopulated nations could be made sustainable through their industries, they would have rather low levels of contribution to climate change, overpopulated or not. However, there are certainly other climate-based issues with overpopulation such as food supplies etc. They will really start to cause a problem once we start feeling the effects of climate change more strongly in the next few decades.

najaB

Veteran Member
And again, I am a firm believer that with the right system change, the average Joe won't have to make any changes to their daily lives that will drastically reduce their quality of life.
Indeed. It's entirely possible to live a lifestyle not much significant from our current one while reducing carbon emissions. As an example, Insulate Britain are correct even if their methods are extreme - as a country we waste an alarming amount of energy trying to raise external rather than internal air temperatures.

southern442

Established Member
Indeed. It's entirely possible to live a lifestyle not much significant from our current one while reducing carbon emissions. As an example, Insulate Britain are correct even if their methods are extreme - as a country we waste an alarming amount of energy trying to raise external rather than internal air temperatures.
This is their problem - they have an unusual, weirdly specific and yet also very vague sounding name, nobody knows what they stand for, they just know that they're blocking the roads. That's never going to be a recipe for success. By contrast what they stand (sit?) for, and what they want to do, is very sensible.

Gostav

Remember the suffragettes were considered terrorists in their day, but they were very effective at getting women the vote, since, well, women have the vote now.
The question is that women’s voting rights are not won by those middle-class “terrorists” but major reason is the Great War which made millions women into real works. Before the war female activists made very limited progress on their fight for rights.

Last edited:

AndrewE

Established Member
I am sure that we shall have to learn to live with a lot less "stuff." And make a step-change reduction in the energy that transport currently consumes (40% of the UK demand!) Which will feed through into less transport, and of of stuff people don't really need from the far east too, and maybe even more local employment mending things, rather than them just being thrown away and replaced with new - probably (until now) at a price less than cost. I think the politicians who are promoting "your" line are being disengenuous (to put it politely.)
Joanna Lumley gets it... https://www.theguardian.com/environ...lumley-wartime-rationing-solve-climate-crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.