• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is WCML punctuality so terrible, and are there any times of day it runs well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

All platforms

One thing I have experienced a few times heading North, is a late running LNWR service to Liverpool calling all stations (Winsford, Hartford, Acton Bridge) being pathed in front of the Avanti service at Crewe causing the Avanti service to sit behind it and lose time.

The last time this happened by the time my Avanti service finally arrived at Wigan North Western, I would miss my connection to Barrow-in-Furness at Lancaster and the one an hour behind was cancelled so had to abandon journey and return home. I did get a full refund from Avanti hassle free though.
Some Southbound services that are delayed give or take 5 minutes leaving Warrington BQ would then in turn be more delayed by the LNW services from Liverpool which stop at the last 3 stations prior to Crewe (Acton Bridge Hartford Winsford). In these case the LNW services would call at P1 at Acton Bridge to allow the Glasgow train to pass. This is the only use for P1 as it is/was never timetabled as far as i can see. RTT dont seem to show platform information predictively but their last 7 days historic service does show actuals.

When i researched this last year in an attempt to see if i could predict to some extent its use it would often show 1 or 2 uses (but not in any predictive way). I do have a plan to attempt p1 but just loitering there randomly isn't it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GlaswegianMan

I'm really enjoying the poor timekeeping on this route. Out of 4 1st class journeys between GLC and Preston over recent weeks, I've had one 80 minute delay (resulting in a free trip with full service), two roughly 35 minute delays (so 50% back), and one with no service in 1st (an email complaint got a 'we're too busy to even read your complaint, here are two 1st class returns anywhere on the WCML to go away' response).

Long may it continue!

Oxfordblues

I spoke once with the proprietor of the downside refreshment room at Oxenholme station. She confided that her entire business model depended on the poor performance of West Coast (then Virgin) trains. Passengers with a 5- or 6-minute connection for Windermere would very often end-up with a 50-minute wait for the next one after their incoming train was almost-inevitably late. The only warm, dry place to wait was the refreshment room and they would feel obliged to at least order a coffee. The branch departure couldn't be held as it had a tight turn-round at Windermere and critical southbound connections to make when it got back. She didn't admit that she was in favour of the dreadful daily performance, but if everything was on-time the cafe would quickly go bust!

Geezertronic

Established Member
Punctuality was terrible when I travelled from Birmingham International to London Euston & return yesterday mainly due to the congestion around Northampton caused amongst other things by freight trains presumably going in & out of DIRFT - even with the timetable changes as a result of everything being routed via Northampton because the Fasts between Rugby and Milton Keynes being closed for maintenance.

No ones fault I guess but the 1h35 scheduled time was around 2 hours to Euston as we followed a freight train from International to Rugby and was held up by a red on the overpass towards Rugby, and 2 1/2 hours on the way back as I saw two freight trains pass whilst we were stopped at Milton Keynes Central (planned stop) and we were held up by a red for what seemed an age just outside Northampton. The train on the way back was a Glasgow Central train via Birmingham so I bet they had a long night

Status
Not open for further replies.