• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why's my train late information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete_uk

Established Member
I'm watching a few late trains on the GWML including 1G11 which seems to make up then loose time. I know some people have access to information systems which gives detailed information on what's going on. Is this information available anywhere for us not in the employ of the railways?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are a number of sites out there which provide detailed train running information. www.realtimetrains.co.uk provides the times that trains pass various timing points in addition to station call. www.opentraintimes.com has an excellent map function which shows the locations of trains in real time on track diagrams.
These are two of my favourites, but I'm sure there are others out there!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is this information available anywhere for us not in the employ of the railways?

if you mean detailed reasoning behind the cause of a delay: No it isnt

If you mean can I work out where a train is and how late it is then the suggested sites above are a good start.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I'm watching a few late trains on the GWML including 1G11 which seems to make up then loose time. I know some people have access to information systems which gives detailed information on what's going on. Is this information available anywhere for us not in the employ of the railways?

Thanks in advance!

If you mean 1G11 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa it has 13 minutes dwell time at Gloucester where it reverses. It managed to arrive and reverse in just 7 minutes meaning it was only +2 leaving Gloucester.

That's where the time was made up mainly.

trainophile

Established Member
Some stations seem to routinely finish their "delayed" announcements with a reason of sorts. I wish they all did, it's really annoying to keep hearing "we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause". We would be a lot more forgiving if we knew what was going on.

Established Member
Some stations seem to routinely finish their "delayed" announcements with a reason of sorts. I wish they all did, it's really annoying to keep hearing "we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause". We would be a lot more forgiving if we knew what was going on.
That is only if the info is put in or known.

Bantamzen

Established Member
There are a number of sites out there which provide detailed train running information. www.realtimetrains.co.uk provides the times that trains pass various timing points in addition to station call. www.opentraintimes.com has an excellent map function which shows the locations of trains in real time on track diagrams.
These are two of my favourites, but I'm sure there are others out there!

I tend to use these two sites to check the possible situation when delays start to happen. Between them it helps paint a picture, for example if my first train of the day is delayed, RTT helps give me an idea if I'll make my first connection, or if I need to change plans (I have connect at two stations for my onward travel on my commute). And if I'm on a train that grinds to an unexpected halt, OpenTrainTimes can be used to see if there are other services around of us that might indicate how long a delay might be. As others have said they don't necessarily tell you why a problem has arisen, but you can gleam some idea of what kind of delay you might expect.

tom73

Going off topic very slightly, is there a website which shows the entire activity of a unit from it leaves the depot in the morning until it returns at night. For example, first weekday train to Leeds from King's Cross. What does it do before it arrives in the platform to take on its first passengers. How long before scheduled departure does it arrive in the platform?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Going off topic very slightly, is there a website which shows the entire activity of a unit from it leaves the depot in the morning until it returns at night. For example, first weekday train to Leeds from King's Cross. What does it do before it arrives in the platform to take on its first passengers. How long before scheduled departure does it arrive in the platform?

None that are available to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.