• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will the Supertram be Rebranded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC60054

This is the livery Stagecoach Manchester are using on their all electric busses. It appears to be their new ‘electric’ livery.
Just because it's a very similar livery to what is being used in Manchester does not have any bearing on whether or not this is a new livery. As mentioned below, it's simply a vinyl job over the base Beachball livery, hence details being left unwrapped.
In any event....here's even a PTE statement https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/news/8f5c8c67-759f-41d3-9e8d-4a1e52010359
The ‘green machine’ has hit the tracks in South Yorkshire, reminding customers why Supertram is a climate-conscious choice for their journey.

The new-look livery holds our environment in mind, showcasing the tram’s green credentials:

• 100% electric
  • 0% street level carbon emissions and
  • uses energy from renewable sources
Supertram helps to cut emissions, congestion and improve air quality. By offering millions of passengers cleaner connections to jobs, education, leisure and communities in South Yorkshire.

The tram network covers 50 stops and 22 miles in Sheffield and Rotherham. Get onboard for a greener future.

The ‘green machine’ (tram 112) – designed by Supertram, Travel South Yorkshire and Kudos Creative - is running on the network now. Make sure you keep a look out if you’re out and about.

We’ll be sharing more photos on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram over the next few weeks!
There are two and a half years left of the Stagecoach concession. I'm not sure any operator would bother to repaint a fleet that's quickly approaching 30 years old for the sake of putting their new brand on to be seen for two years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Does anyone think that Stagecoach might put in a bid for the next concession?

It would make sense if they wanted to keep a better share of the profit of the integrated ticketing, both from the PTE tickets (Travelmasters), and from the Stagecoach bus/tram fares.

All depends though if it makes profit and if it is easy/easy-ish for them to fun.

TC60054

Does anyone think that Stagecoach might put in a bid for the next concession?
As I understand it the idea was for the operation to be brought back in house by the PTE, in a similar way to how Tyne & Wear and the West Midlands now runs - though I’m not sure what effect the last eighteen months will have had on that.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It just goes to show how old age is really catching up on me and the title of this thread mentally took me totally off-topic, as it reminded me of the song that our folk group, based of three lads and three lassies who were all studying Mathemetics at Manchester University sang in the 1964-1966 period...."Will the circle be unbroken"

WatcherZero

Established Member
Theres still the issue of the renewal, Stagecoach have pretty much run the system ragged and a complete renewal of every part of infrastructure and fleet is required.
As I understand it SYPTE plan once the concession Stagecoach bought ends in 2024 is to spend £439m on a complete renewal including a new fleet (28 vehicles replacing the 25 strong Siemens fleet). They are asking Dft to provide over 90% of the funding required, Tram-train expansions wont be included as they reduce the renewal BCR from 2.0 to around 1.5/1.6. These works would take place between 2024-2028, SYPTE would operate the system in house at arms length until the renewal is completed (theyve already asked around and none of the transport companies are interested in operating the system while the renewals are in progress). Then around 2029 they would seek to return the operation to the private sector.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Theres still the issue of the renewal, Stagecoach have pretty much run the system ragged and a complete renewal of every part of infrastructure and fleet is required.
As I understand it SYPTE plan once the concession Stagecoach bought ends in 2024 is to spend £439m on a complete renewal including a new fleet (28 vehicles replacing the 25 strong Siemens fleet). They are asking Dft to provide over 90% of the funding required, Tram-train expansions wont be included as they reduce the renewal BCR from 2.0 to around 1.5/1.6. These works would take place between 2024-2028, SYPTE would operate the system in house at arms length until the renewal is completed (theyve already asked around and none of the transport companies are interested in operating the system while the renewals are in progress). Then around 2029 they would seek to return the operation to the private sector.
As a matter of interest, what was the lifespan of the Manchester Metrolink original fleet (T68s?).

MarkyT

Established Member
It was, but it was completely unnecessary. I'm not sure where any confusion would be caused if they'd just been called trams. After all, modern trains are much nicer to travel in than those that ran in the 1850s but we don't call them "supertrains".

Call a spade a spade. It isn't a "superspade" unless you throw it at someone!
'Supertrain'!
A nuclear-powered bullet train that was equipped with amenities more appropriate to a cruise ship, it had luxuries such as swimming pools and shopping centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.