• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I heard a whisper that the last two won't be accepted from CAF until acceptable Mods are completed on the rest of the fleet. Items including the fact some systems operate on such an outdated Android operating system that they can't be used as its not now supported and won't work on newer devices.

DannyMich2018

Is there any plan to get them working? What's the hold up?

Thanks for the reply btw!
I'd imagine there's no rush to get them in service as usually only about half of the 26 196s are used daily. More of course be used when Camp Hills opens and some go to East-West route. Had my first proper encounter of one a few week's ago at Nuneaton. Wow, the acceleration is amazing!! Even better than the 172s.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Items including the fact some systems operate on such an outdated Android operating system that they can't be used as its not now supported and won't work on newer devices.
I can only assume this is the PIS displays? I hope nothing else is running on Android.

AJDesiro

I can only assume this is the PIS displays? I hope nothing else is running on Android.
I'd imagine it's the mobile PIS app developed by Televic.

The first complete Class 196 has arrived in the UK for testing and commissioning at Tyseley. It is the first of 80 vehicles, being built in two-car and four-car formations, that will be constructed by manufacturer CAF.

Mobile app for more connectivity, flexibility and availability

As part of the real-time passenger information system, Televic GSP will provide a new mobile app to increase the staff’s connectivity, flexibility and availability. From now on, the train staff can easily interact with the driver from any location on the train, give direct support to passengers who have activated the alarm and share emergency location coordinates.

Other features include:

• Activating prerecorded messages
  • Making live announcements
  • Changing journeys when entering a station
  • Skipping stations along the route

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I have noticed a pattern.

Apart from the fact that, as I feared, only two 196/0s are currently getting used (so the rest are harder to get).
The surprise is it is always the same two 196/0s on the Leamington to/from Nuneaton route. For today and the previous two working days it has been 196003 & 196011. Obviously they alternate on the diagrams but Tyseley keeps putting the unit just returned back out the next day. I could not check further back as either PTS is having a fit or my browser is having a fit but I feel it might be similar/same (I have been looking most weekdays days).

Also I notice two 196/1s have ventured out on Shrewesbury diagrams today (Monday 18/03/2024) so maybe the landslip is near to a fix ?.

AJDesiro

I have noticed a pattern.

Apart from the fact that, as I feared, only two 196/0s are currently getting used (so the rest are harder to get).
The surprise is it is always the same two 196/0s on the Leamington to/from Nuneaton route. For today and the previous two working days it has been 196003 & 196011. Obviously they alternate on the diagrams but Tyseley keeps putting the unit just returned back out the next day. I could not check further back as either PTS is having a fit or my browser is having a fit but I feel it might be similar/same (I have been looking most weekdays days).

Also I notice two 196/1s have ventured out on Shrewesbury diagrams today (Monday 18/03/2024) so maybe the landslip is near to a fix ?.
There's a limited service (1tp2h) in place shuttling between Shifnal and Birmingham. I wonder what's going on with Shrewsbury-based traincrew?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Two 196/0 have been used on a morning peak time run from Shrewsbury.
Not recently but I expect they might return once the landslip is fixed - unless 196113 & 196114 finally enter service.

There's a limited service (1tp2h) in place shuttling between Shifnal and Birmingham. I wonder what's going on with Shrewsbury-based traincrew?
I suppose Shrewsbury based WMT crew might currently be catching up on textbook training or something ?.

Are TfW crews and trains filling the Void on the Shrewsbury side ?.

craigybagel

Established Member
They're working some of the Shifnal services, with taxis to/from Shrewsbury.