• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

anamyd

On Moderation
Functional, as a train should be. Northern's ordering of non-gangwayed 2-car units was madness. WMR have got this very right.

Their concept interiors look much better than Northern's, too.
I did mean aesthetically ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VT 390

Established Member
Will the fact there are more windows mean more seats are not aligned with windows?

Last edited:

Paul_10

Doesn't need a good view on the outside. No gangwayed stock has one. It's not an emergency door, by the way, it's a through gangway, as the 195s should have had.

Disagree tbh, on a cosmetic point of view, I love the 195 units without a centre door ruining the look of the unit unlike the 196 which does look ugly with the centre door and all the surrounding material. No doubt if drivers and guards had a choice of being in a 195 cab or a 196cab, most probably would choose the former for sure just for space alone! Also a door less front allows a huge destination display which is no doubt alot better for those partially sighted people than having a small display squished into one side.

Neptune

Established Member
195 cabs aren’t as spacious as you’d think due to the central driving position. They do have a fantastic view out though due to the higher up position. Can’t beat 150/1 for cab space (on a DMU anyway).

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Why does the corridor connection on the front of these units (and the class 385s for that matter) seem to protrude so much further in front of the cab compared to earlier units such as 158s and even the class 172/3 units?

TH172341

Why does the corridor connection on the front of these units (and the class 385s for that matter) seem to protrude so much further in front of the cab compared to earlier units such as 158s and even the class 172/3 units?

Will be due to the current crash regulations; similar to cars in terms of having enough of a crumple zone in case of an impact. Does not help the driver's all round visibility but necessary to meet the higher safety standards now in place.

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Will be due to the current crash regulations; similar to cars in terms of having enough of a crumple zone in case of an impact. Does not help the driver's all round visibility but necessary to meet the higher safety standards now in place.
Would said crumple zone be to protect the driver? If so, how are the class 195s and 331s compliant with that?

Neptune

Established Member
Could it be because the Delner couplers stick out much further than the BSI’s on DMU’s and on EMU’s.

NewSt

196s aren’t having the bright orange, ironing board interior originally proposed - they’ll look like the attached photos.

Attachments

• 0BBD3B42-4264-4B74-8ECA-8241707C5069.jpeg
    0BBD3B42-4264-4B74-8ECA-8241707C5069.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 644
  • FD517AB9-EB8A-4DB6-9E9E-0ECC8DBA25FF.jpeg
    FD517AB9-EB8A-4DB6-9E9E-0ECC8DBA25FF.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 584
  • D03F3E42-65BF-4AC8-A54F-0066AC2BDC1E.jpeg
    D03F3E42-65BF-4AC8-A54F-0066AC2BDC1E.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 567
Last edited by a moderator:

Energy

Established Member
They actually look pretty excellent, my only complaint is that tables should have power sockets at the end of the table.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
196s aren’t having the bright orange, ironing board interior originally proposed - they’ll look like the attached photos.

Interiors never end up looking like the computer designs, no armrests and those tables look woefully narrow and it looks a bit too grey and drab in my view, so i hope they don't end up like that. Can't see the seats being much different from a 195 to be honest.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Interiors never end up looking like the computer designs, no armrests and those tables look woefully narrow and it looks a bit too grey and drab in my view, so i hope they don't end up like that. Can't see the seats being much different from a 195 to be honest.
Different seat manufacturer though I think, so there's hope there :)

Prestige15

On Moderation

Would you like the seats to be orange or purple?

Energy

Established Member
The current class 170s have armrests so hopefully the 196s will have them, small additions like armrests may not be included in renders and could have been included and WMR have just not released updated renders.

pieguyrob

There is a picture of a 196 DMS shell next to a 195 shell in this months Railways Illustrated. It is only a small picture though on page 14.

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
Looks like the same seat design as the Greater Anglia 745/755s, but without armrests? They've attracted far less criticism which must have been noticed by other operators.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Looks like the same seat design as the Greater Anglia 745/755s, but without armrests? They've attracted far less criticism which must have been noticed by other operators.

They're decent seats - almost identical in feel to the Grammer E3000 "Desiro seat", so I guess without armrests they'll be a bit like the 2 side of a 3+2 Desiro e.g. a 350/2, 450 or 360 though with the 2+2 style headrest. (The seats are the same width on both layouts of Desiro).

I suspect no coincidence that both operators are led by Abellio.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I’d feel confident to say that there are a couple of WMT liveried bodyshells currently outside the CAF works by Llanwern, although I’m not sure what vehicles they might be.

On a related matter, just inside the Warwick Road gates at Tyseley are a couple of large shapes wrapped in white plastic. From the size and shape of these I would guess that’s they are cab and coach mock-ups, although whether they are for publicity use or staff training I couldn’t say.

Doomotron

They've grown on me (except for the weird box on the roof at the front). They look like some sort of mix between the 458/5s and 333s. I still think the front is a bit fussy though.