• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Doveymain158

Is the CAF factory in Newport open as normal due to the Pandemic? How many more units have been completed?

The_Train

Established Member
I happened to stumble across one of these units heading through Stafford towards Crewe at around 11am today. No idea which unit or it's destination but I assume it was either some sort of training run or it was heading to Crewe C.S / Arriva Traincare for some reason?

Bob Price

Apparently they are doing milage accumulation runs. It ran to Crewe and then back again

The_Train

Established Member
Apparently they are doing milage accumulation runs. It ran to Crewe and then back again
It was 196103 and It did 2 Trips to Crewe and back today.

Mark

Thanks both! Interesting that they are coming up this way on mileage runs - will keep my eyes peeled for more (providing we don't fall into any of the coronatiers that mean my doors and windows are bolted shut by the authorities ;)

newtownmgr

Pretty certain it’s 001 actually. As far as I’m aware 101-104 & 001 are the only ones delivered. Been passed Tyseley every day this week & that’s all I’ve seen but not been on the depot since last week.

Benno

Pretty certain it’s 001 actually. As far as I’m aware 101-104 & 001 are the only ones delivered. Been passed Tyseley every day this week & that’s all I’ve seen but not been on the depot since last week.
It’s definitely 196005. I saw it being shunted into the shed on Thursday.

city dweller

This is more a case of confirming what was already known. But WMT have released a route map for the 196

class-196-route-map.png

OTRail

This is more a case of confirming what was already known. But WMT have released a route map for the 196

class-196-route-map.png
Aren’t they also running on the Snow Hill lines during peak hours, or does this just include their core routes?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Aren’t they also running on the Snow Hill lines during peak hours, or does this just include their core routes?
Yes they will be used to supplement capacity on the Snow Hill lines, much like the Class 170s (and occasionally 153s) have done over the past decade. They will however provide the core traction for the Hereford and Shrewsbury services.

OTRail

Yes they will be used to supplement capacity on the Snow Hill lines, much like the Class 170s (and occasionally 153s) have done over the past decade. They will however provide the core traction for the Hereford and Shrewsbury services.
Ok, thank you very much!

centraltrains

centraltrains

Looks like it might be a quirk of their website software, can map the rest of the images to those kind of pages

(and 730s)

Although can't find it any other pages apart from the new trains...

Spirit555

Been told that 196107 arrived at Tyseley today. Cannot 100% confirm as not seen it as yet.

Mark

newtownmgr

Been told that 196107 arrived at Tyseley today. Cannot 100% confirm as not seen it as yet.

Mark
107 is still at Portbury along with several other vehicles & 001 & 002. Only 101-106 & 005 delivered so far. Led to believe no more will be delivered at present due to ongoing issues.

newtownmgr

Plan was some time ago to enter service around spring but of course with things as they are now be pushed back further for sure so summer 2021 at the earliest I'd imagine
Last plan was May timetable for the Herefords & December timetable for the Shrewsbury’s. With over 70 drivers at Worcester to be trained by May training would need to start within the next couple of weeks. Can guarantee it won’t be as it stands.