• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR/TfW only London-Manchester ticket: Which Trains is it Valid on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie

Established Member
Just checking this out again, it seems the mixing desk is not linked to from the TPExpress home page, which would imply you can't use the mixing desk unless you already know the URL for it? As far as I can tell, the home page links to a different booking engine, similar to the one that Avanti uses, and which is unable to identify the WMT/TfW Euston-Manchester route. Have I missed something?

Thanks. Unfortunately, because this a completely public forum, I don't really want to do that. Posting something in public to allows people to deduce upfront that you'll be away from home on certain dates runs against general Internet security advice. I appreciate though that if I had given dates, it would've been a bit easier for people responding to my query. I'm not planning on booking the super-off-peak ahead though - I can after all just buy that at Euston on the day I turn up to travel. In the light of @Watershed's comment, I'll probably check back the TPE Mixing desk 1 week before I travel to see if any advance tickets have suddenly become available.
While not being stupid on social media is a generally good plan l have to be honest and say that it is unlikely that very many (any, except perhaps forum administrators?) on here even know who you are let alone where you live. What you definitely are doing is preventing people assisting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yes.

Not valid on trains timed to depart Manchester Piccadilly after 04:29 or before 10:30 and not between 16:00 to 19:00.

Not valid on trains timed to depart London Euston after 04:29 or before 10:30 and not between 16:00 to 19:00

No break of journey on outward.
This is a minor pick, but surely it's "Not valid to depart London Euston after/before..."

"If it was not valid on trains departing" you'd not be able to pick up that train later on its journey (I only mention this as some tickets do have that restriction with that effect).

Wolfie

Established Member
This is a minor pick, but surely it's "Not valid to depart London Euston after/before..."

"If it was not valid on trains departing" you'd not be able to pick up that train later on its journey (I only mention this as some tickets do have that restriction with that effect).
My understanding is that unless you are connecting from a train taken within a valid window the text is written as intended. That is you cannot take an excluded train anywhere on it's journey.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
My understanding is that unless you are connecting from a train taken within a valid window the text is written as intended. That is you cannot take an excluded train anywhere on it's journey.
Yes, which is why I corrected it (I took my text from BRFares, I don't know where @Bletchleyite got theirs).

Nymanic

As a minor point - if you've got even more time to play with and need to get around the peak restrictions at the Manchester end, you could consider the Super-Off-Peak Return between Euston and Crewe, with Advance tickets on the slow Northern services between Crewe and Manchester.

Singles start at £3.50 each way for the latter stretch, and are often available at this price at very short notice. Have managed to buy said fares on the day of travel, as recently as last week.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
From BRFares, I suspect we may be talking about different fares.

However the ones for the interavailable WCML fares do use that wording and it doesn't mean intermediate stations as the restriction states those separately.

Simple? :)
Now I'm really confused, as your reply was to a query about the use of the WMR ticket.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Now I'm really confused, as your reply was to a query about the use of the WMR ticket.

I just checked again, and the WMR/TfW Only Super Off Peak Euston-Manchester return fare has these restrictions, from BRFares, copy pasted:

Not valid on trains timed to depart Manchester Piccadilly after 04:29 or before 10:30 and not between 16:00 to 19:00.

Not valid on trains timed to depart London Euston after 04:29 or before 10:30 and not between 16:00 to 19:00.

With a ticket type restriction barring BoJ on the outward.

The TVM summary lines (which are in the electronic restriction bit) read thus and so are (astonishingly) different:

VALID ON DEP BETWEEN 1031-1531 & AFTER 1930

While the electronic restrictions only actually implement departure from Euston/Picc and don't act against other stations. They are also different again!

Dep from Euston - 1046-1549 and 1946 (1947 on return!) or later
Dep from Picc - 1031-1531 and 1931 or later

Of course these might have the same effect depending on the actual times of the trains.

What were you suggesting they were?

Either way it's a mess!

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I just checked again, and the WMR/TfW Only Super Off Peak Euston-Manchester return fare has these restrictions, from BRFares, copy pasted:

Not valid on trains timed to depart London Euston after 04:29 or before 10:30 and not between 16:00 to 19:00.

With a ticket type restriction barring BoJ on the outward.

The TVM summary lines (which are in the electronic restriction bit) read thus and so are (astonishingly) different:

While the electronic restrictions only actually implement departure from Euston/Picc and don't act against other stations. They are also different again!

Dep from Euston - 1046-1549 and 1946 (1947 on return!) or later
Dep from Picc - 1031-1531 and 1931 or later

Of course these might have the same effect depending on the actual times of the trains.

What were you suggesting they were?

Either way it's a mess!
Now I can't find where I saw the restrictions I posted...

The (human readable) restrictions as above should disallow the journey the OP was looking at, but don't.

Glad we have nice simple ticket restrictions.

A query regarding this ticket...
Are there any route specific restrictions? For example, would it be permitted to travel from Manchester to Birmingham via Shrewsbury with TfW, then from Birmingham to London with LNW/WMR?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A query regarding this ticket...
Are there any route specific restrictions? For example, would it be permitted to travel from Manchester to Birmingham via Shrewsbury with TfW, then from Birmingham to London with LNW/WMR?
You can take any route that would be permitted on an Any Permitted ticket, provided there are WMT or TfW services.

Shrewsbury is not on a permitted route from Manchester to London, hence you cannot travel that way.

You can take any route that would be permitted on an Any Permitted ticket, provided there are WMT or TfW services.

Shrewsbury is not on a permitted route from Manchester to London, hence you cannot travel that way.
Brilliant, thanks for the quick response

Haywain

Veteran Member

As with any other ticket, if you can obtain a ticket in conjunction with an itinerary for your chosen route the ticket will undoubtedly be valid for travel using the trains shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.