• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Driver Pool - 2021/22

Coach Carter

Haha! Yes mate of course!

Email said June 6th. How about you?
By the looks of things you’ll be starting before I get called back in lol, DM phoned the other day and reconfirmed that it’ll prob be June before I get back and in the seat.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzdoris

Thanks buddy. Best of luck to you!

All I can say is just do plenty practice on the tests. On the Group Bourdon one there's an app I downloaded on the desktop to practice that one. Also they don't expect you to complete each test so don't panic about that. Just work accurately as quick as you can.
Thank you! I had been practising that lots before my last date so I'll continue with that. Thanks so much for the tips :)

Davidh1998

Thanks buddy. Best of luck to you!

All I can say is just do plenty practice on the tests. On the Group Bourdon one there's an app I downloaded on the desktop to practice that one. Also they don't expect you to complete each test so don't panic about that. Just work accurately as quick as you can.
How many tests did you have to do? I was under the assumption you had to do them all.

Cranky

Looking forward to meeting you as I'm due to start the same date, also have family in malvern too.
Nice one , this waiting game for the medical is worse than waiting for a response or interview we know its coming just don't know when.

Wba0986

Nice one , this waiting game for the medical is worse than waiting for a response or interview we know its coming just don't know when.
Absolutely, waiting around to hand your notice in is difficult.

Gs1

Yeah done them 21st December, passed them all except for the 2 hand test, can try again in 6 months just for that one test, frustrating as that’s probably one of the easier tests.
Anyone who wants help with assessments let me know
Hi,
Could you help me out about the TEA, telephone directory search. Is it just circling the same symbols or for say for example looking for plumbers with a xyz star rating in a certain postcode? Also do you hear the high or low tone first so you know which is which? Does the examiner tell you the test will start with the high or low tone?
Do you remember what the glop passage was?
In the co-ordination test are you expected to get the ball from A to B all 10 times, within a given time?
Thanks for your help and good luck for next time.

Brum_AVFC

Hi,
Could you help me out about the TEA, telephone directory search. Is it just circling the same symbols or for say for example looking for plumbers with a xyz star rating in a certain postcode? Also do you hear the high or low tone first so you know which is which? Does the examiner tell you the test will start with the high or low tone?
Do you remember what the glop passage was?
In the co-ordination test are you expected to get the ball from A to B all 10 times, within a given time?
Thanks for your help and good luck for next time.
You’ve asked a fair few questions here so I’ll bullet answer.

- It’s circling plumbers numbers with the same 2 symbols (X’s O’s triangles and squares)
- Yes you get a practice test first so you know which tones are which and no they don’t tell you which tone is first but you’ll know by then which tone is which.
-I don’t remember the GLOP passage unfortunately
- they can’t discuss scores with you but I completed all 10 circuits without falling off but still failed, so that suggests I was too slow so they’re looking for both accuracy and speed

Anthony R

You’ve asked a fair few questions here so I’ll bullet answer.

- It’s circling plumbers numbers with the same 2 symbols (X’s O’s triangles and squares)
- Yes you get a practice test first so you know which tones are which and no they don’t tell you which tone is first but you’ll know by then which tone is which.
-I don’t remember the GLOP passage unfortunately
- they can’t discuss scores with you but I completed all 10 circuits without falling off but still failed, so that suggests I was too slow so they’re looking for both accuracy and speed
Mnut regarding this’s two hand test. Firstly I find it odd that they are essentially asking people to play a game without telling the people the rules. In my life for another career I had to sit hand coordination tests like this and it was clear what you neeed to do, for example, not deviate by more than this amount and complete the task within this amount of time, the way these test are set up in this cloak and dagger way seems unfair to me and lack of transparency almost always leads to abuses in my experiences.

May I ask about your experience, did you feel you were going especially slowly do you suppose? Was the ball making continuous motion at all times or was it very stop and start?

Again many thanks a and sorry you didn’t get through this one, I don’t know why they hide their marking criteria so obsessively, i have not know an industry of similar jobs do it like this, Frankly it makes me distrust them.

Bluenosemase

Mnut regarding this’s two hand test. Firstly I find it odd that they are essentially asking people to play a game without telling the people the rules. In my life for another career I had to sit hand coordination tests like this and it was clear what you neeed to do, for example, not deviate by more than this amount and complete the task within this amount of time, the way these test are set up in this cloak and dagger way seems unfair to me and lack of transparency almost always leads to abuses in my experiences.

May I ask about your experience, did you feel you were going especially slowly do you suppose? Was the ball making continuous motion at all times or was it very stop and start?

Again many thanks a and sorry you didn’t get through this one, I don’t know why they hide their marking criteria so obsessively, i have not know an industry of similar jobs do it like this, Frankly it makes me distrust them.
I have to respectfully disagree with this. Technically you do know the rules, get the ball around the track 10 times as quickly and accurately as you possibly can. For example if they told you at the start of the test you have 10 seconds to get each ball around the track would that really help? Personally I feel like it would make me panic and second guess myself. Plus in my experience I was concentrating so hard that there’s no way I would have been able to judge myself even if I knew what the pass/fail mark was.

In my experience this test was something that you couldn’t prepare for. The controls are quite fiddly and the ball doesn’t stay still unless you hold the joysticks in a certain way. My saving grace was the practice go you have at the start. It enabled me to get used to the way the ball moved and also how moving the sticks affected the ball.

All of these tests are designed for a reason and the secrecy of the OPC fits in with the narrative. The tests are meant to be tough so only a select few so well enough to pass them.

Brum_AVFC

They don’t give any instructions for the hand test, and in my devastation of finding out I’d failed it I asked simply what they were looking for in this particular test, all she said was “we can’t discuss scores”. It did frustrate me but hey ho only have my self to blame.

This is the thing I wondered, when I was negotiating the corner parts of the test, it’s designed to be a difficult transition, however when I was easing the joysticks slowly nothing was happening, so I eased it more in the direction and suddenly the ball jumped as if it was lagged?? Don’t know how everyone else felt because I was the only one to make it that far

YingYing

Sorry but what does GLOP stand for?
I can't remember what it stands for but it is basically the trainability for rules and procedures test. It's just a passage of text in which you need to remember the key points, instructions, details of the procedure etc. It's just given a railway context using sanders and adhesion as an example, to see if you can remember rules and procedures and reproduce them correctly.

Faz.M

I can't remember what it stands for but it is basically the trainability for rules and procedures test. It's just a passage of text in which you need to remember the key points, instructions, details of the procedure etc. It's just given a railway context using sanders and adhesion as an example, to see if you can remember rules and procedures and reproduce them correctly.
Okay thanks for the details

Brum_AVFC

Sorry but what does GLOP stand for?
It’s a substance applied to the rails that helps with the grip on the track from what I gathered. But it doesn’t matter for now all you have to do
Is make a note of the facts for the memory test rather than worrying about understanding it as a procedure.

Faz.M

It’s a substance applied to the rails that helps with the grip on the track from what I gathered. But it doesn’t matter for now all you have to do
Is make a note of the facts for the memory test rather than worrying about understanding it as a procedure.
Okay, has anyone done the testing? What’s it like?

YingYing

Okay, has anyone done the testing? What’s it like?
It's simple, you get a paragraph or so of information on the procedure for operating GLOP trains, and then questions (i think they were multiple choice but can't remember for sure) about what you've just read. You get about 20 minutes with the text, and a piece of blank paper to make any notes you might wish to make. then the passage of text is taken off you as well as your notes and you fill out the question sheet from memory.

dzdoris

It's simple, you get a paragraph or so of information on the procedure for operating GLOP trains, and then questions (i think they were multiple choice but can't remember for sure) about what you've just read. You get about 20 minutes with the text, and a piece of blank paper to make any notes you might wish to make. then the passage of text is taken off you as well as your notes and you fill out the question sheet from memory.
Yes they are multi-choice :)

Faz.M

I did today. It's just as everybody tells you on here. This site has been a gold mine of information! Just hope I got enough to pass their enhanced standard!
Okay cool, what’s the tone test like?

Thanks for the info

dzdoris

Okay cool, what’s the tone test like?
I think I did ok on the tones test. Found the speed manageable (don't want to count my chickens though!)

They didn’t tell you on the day wether you passed the assesments?
No. We should hear within 7-10 days but the assessor reckoned a lot sooner. She was marking as we were doing the other tests.

Brum_AVFC

Did you just do the paperwork tests then? No Vienna system? That’s good, it’s an enhanced standard as you know so tougher