• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Driver Pool - 2021/22

crt-crt

Hi. The shortlister was a very brief experience, covering the position you’ve applied for, what you’re currently doing and giving more detail of yourself. Can’t really help with the last two as they’re different for each of us. As for the first, if you’ve done your research into what it is to be a train driver you can’t go far wrong. Good luck.

Just curious as to how many people apply for more than one position at a time, and what the various rail companies think of that? If you’re part way through an application process with one company, can that read across to another application elsewhere inside/outside of the original company?
Hi Baz, big thanks for your response. Trying to get more information on this has been very tricky, so really appreciate this. So just to be clear there are three questions in total? Thanks again. Also, how did you get on? and did you get a DM interview.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BAZ7369

Hi Baz, big thanks for your response. Trying to get more information on this has been very tricky, so really appreciate this. So just to be clear there are three questions in total? Thanks again. Also, how did you get on? and did you get a DM interview.
Yes, 3 questions one for each subject matter. Other than confirmation of receipt I’ve had nothing more back. Have come to expect long periods between responses so am just watching and waiting!

Without giving too much away, I have just submitted the video interview. Baz pretty much sums it up spot-on. Kicking myself that I failed to give the third most obvious answer, in my opinion, to one of the questions but otherwise pleased with the rest.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Without giving too much away, I have just submitted the video interview. Baz pretty much sums it up spot-on. Kicking myself that I failed to give the third most obvious answer, in my opinion, to one of the questions but otherwise pleased with the rest.
What questions we’re asked in the video interview?

That would be doing a disservice to everyone who attempted the interview 'blind' my friend. Look at what Baz said and then work backwards. That should give you an idea.

crt-crt

Would that be around 2023 & why will they advertise Trainee Train Driver vacancies again in 2 years?
Pretty much, they have kept all the applicants for future trainee positions from the 2020 job adverts. There were I believe something like 6000 applicants. So I think 6000 applications is plenty for another 2-3 years of filling positions.

Prottey

Hi everyone I’m new to this forum, I am interested in becoming a train driver with West Midlands Trains as I live in Birmingham in the West Midlands, just wanted to ask how long did it take from application to job offer?

Kind Regards
Took me around a year. Applied last may/june/July can’t remember exactly and got job offer after passing medical a couple of weeks ago.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Took me around a year. Applied last may/june/July can’t remember exactly and got job offer after passing medical a couple of weeks ago.
What depot you gonna drive from & have you started yet? I wish you all the best mate & I hope to become a train driver one day when the time is right for me.

LCC106

Established Member
When I applied I was one of 7,000 applicants for a handful of positions 10 years ago. With job losses through the pandemic I’m sure there’s a hell of a lot more competition. Around 3 months from application to start date. The questions you ask will have a multitude of responses - how long’s a piece of string? Yes, I agree that we shouldn’t share questions. They want to ascertain your responses to the specific questions asked as an individual. As well as a potentially unfair advantage, it doesn’t help in terms of them meeting the real you under interview conditions. Good luck all!

crt-crt

How did you find the process was it tough? I know they time you, and wondering do they give enough time for you to answer? The practice interviews are 2 min timers. What is the case for the real thing? Is it under 2 minutes? and good luck!

Last edited:

Prottey

What depot you gonna drive from & have you started yet? I wish you all the best mate & I hope to become a train driver one day when the time is right for me.
From New St and start my course on 27th September. Thanks bud, and you

Question about pay. My course starts on 27th September. Does anyone have any idea when the first pay day will be?

Last edited:

S-Car-Go

From New St and start my course on 27th September. Thanks bud, and you

Question about pay. My course starts on 27th September. Does anyone have any idea when the first pay day will be?
Payday is 4 weekly, so you'd get your first pay, 3 weeks worth, on Fri 15th Oct.

Coach Carter

Payday is 4 weekly, so you'd get your first pay, 3 weeks worth, on Fri 15th Oct.
Think they will only get 2 weeks pay in, pay period finishes end of Sunday then payed on the Friday. Could be wrong though as it’s been that long since I’ve been into work ‍

BAZ7369

Looking to prepare for the next stages of the application process, what tips/strategies do people have in order to assist with the assessments?

Prottey

BAZ7369

So, the application process is progressing, I’m awaiting more details of the ODC assessment process. I’m not after a step by step guide on what to do, but just a general idea of what to expect would be appreciated if anyone is willing to share?

Done the video interview - very nice way of asking those questions even with the fact you couldn't resit any of them if you felt you didn't answer well. Now it's the next waiting game.

baggies93

Hi guys, new to the forum.

I like many of you applied at the start of Jan last year, passed the application/ initial online tests etc but then because of covid everything went quiet. I then randomly receive the email to say I had a video interview early August. I completed the video interview on the 31st.. but other than an email to say my interview has been received and it is being received, I haven’t heard anything else. It’s been 3 weeks today and now I’m getting a little worried as I am so eager to find out!

people who did the video interview.. how long was it till you found out if you had passed.. or not?

BAZ7369

Hi guys, new to the forum.

I like many of you applied at the start of Jan last year, passed the application/ initial online tests etc but then because of covid everything went quiet. I then randomly receive the email to say I had a video interview early August. I completed the video interview on the 31st.. but other than an email to say my interview has been received and it is being received, I haven’t heard anything else. It’s been 3 weeks today and now I’m getting a little worried as I am so eager to find out!

people who did the video interview.. how long was it till you found out if you had passed.. or not?
Hi Baggies, I submitted my interview late June and the next correspondence was beginning of September. Now waiting again for details of the next stage…….

Last edited:

baggies93

Hi Baggies, I submitted my interview late June and the next correspondence was beginning of September. Now waiting again for details of the next stage…….
Oh okay that’s promising.. I’ve also been advised by my friend who works there that some people who did the interview found out within a few days they’d been unsuccessful.. hopefully that means the longer the wait the more chance of being successful! Good luck with your next stage.. hopefully I’ll be joining you!