• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Driver Pool - 2021/22

Oh okay that’s promising.. I’ve also been advised by my friend who works there that some people who did the interview found out within a few days they’d been unsuccessful.. hopefully that means the longer the wait the more chance of being successful! Good luck with your next stage.. hopefully I’ll be joining you!
Fingers crossed. I can see that logic, maybe they're trying to build up a group for the psychometric test day before arranging it, so anyone who didn't pass can be told quite quickly

Which depot are you applying to?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baggies93

Fingers crossed. I can see that logic, maybe they're trying to build up a group for the psychometric test day before arranging it, so anyone who didn't pass can be told quite quickly

Which depot are you applying to?
I certainly hope that’s the reason.. just gotta keep fingers crossed and be patient I suppose.

I’ve applied for New Street/Snow Hill.. yourself?

BAZ7369

Has anyone had recent notification of the OPC testing, and if so how long between notification and testing?

Wfc365

I thought this had gone dead after hearing nothing for so long and then received an email last week saying it’s still progressing. No indication of assessment dates thou mind.
I have since passed within another TOC to enhanced should I advise them of this or would they naturally pick it up when viewing my application?

Bluenosemase

I thought this had gone dead after hearing nothing for so long and then received an email last week saying it’s still progressing. No indication of assessment dates thou mind.
I have since passed within another TOC to enhanced should I advise them of this or would they naturally pick it up when viewing my application?
They’ll pick it up if you’re successful in passing the initial application mate.

Wfc365

They’ll pick it up if you’re successful in passing the initial application mate.
Yer I passed the initial sift and did a few “online” tests (ages ago during lockdown) , got a congratulations you’ll hear from us soon then nothing for ages. Lol.
Thanks for the feedback

12guard4

Make them aware. Send an email just to state you have now passed assessments. You won't be the only 1 in the pile who only needs a DM interview and it's cheaper for WMT to then not send you to testing.

PaulBusDriver

In my case WMT didn't know that I had passed assesments and booked me in at Watford, I booked a hotel and only after I managed to contact them by email did they confirm that I didn't need to go!
Unfortunately I didnt need the room so wasted fifty quid so I'd advise you to get in touch and get confirmation that they have acknowledged your prior assesments.

Wfc365

Thanks for the coms all.
makes sense I’ve sent an email but haven’t received any acknowledgement so see what happens next.

BAZ7369

So, in preparation for the assessments stage 1, I’m practicing the group bourdon test. Does anyone have an idea what is considered a suitable pass mark? How many correct/incorrect answers are acceptable?

Wfc365

So, in preparation for the assessments stage 1, I’m practicing the group bourdon test. Does anyone have an idea what is considered a suitable pass mark? How many correct/incorrect answers are acceptable?
In short mate no one knows but their is anther thread with plenty of info on DOTs

Birmingham36

Hi guys I'm interested in becoming a train driver, just wanted to ask who looks at the applications once they've been received and when will West Midlands Trains be recruiting for trainee drivers? Also how many trainees do they take on for the depots advertised?

Kind Regards.

Last edited:

LCC106

Established Member
I MAY be wrong but think there might be an initial computer sift, then it’s the recruitment team. Our driver managers certainly don’t sit looking at applications all day.

I don’t work for WMT but best to check their website every day. Due to the number of people applying, which can be hundreds if not thousands per post, adverts can be pulled before the deadline. (There were almost 1000 applicants per post when I got through a few years ago. Many more since the pandemic). Number of posts available per intake varies depending on the needs of the depot.

Birmingham36

I MAY be wrong but think there might be an initial computer sift, then it’s the recruitment team. Our driver managers certainly don’t sit looking at applications all day.

I don’t work for WMT but best to check their website every day. Due to the number of people applying, which can be hundreds if not thousands per post, adverts can be pulled before the deadline. (There were almost 1000 applicants per post when I got through a few years ago. Many more since the pandemic). Number of posts available per intake varies depending on the needs of the depot.
What is an initial computer sift?

LCC106

Established Member
I may be wrong but some systems will sift applications searching for keywords. If they aren’t there, you won’t get past the sift. With such a high volume of applicants this saves someone having to look through, say, 1000 applications. Some may get rejected for spelling mistakes, which shows lack of attention to detail. Not sure if that is at electronic sift level or human being level. Does this even make sense? :D

Birmingham36

I may be wrong but some systems will sift applications searching for keywords. If they aren’t there, you won’t get past the sift. With such a high volume of applicants this saves someone having to look through, say, 1000 applications. Some may get rejected for spelling mistakes, which shows lack of attention to detail. Not sure if that is at electronic sift level or human being level. Does this even make sense? :D
Ah now I understand, thank you

Sim_Tim

Hi all just a quick question regarding the assessment day part 1 for those that have already completed it,

Were you asked for your examples to the MMI questions in preparation for day 2 if you are successful ?

Also any nasty surprises that are not in line with the expected tests ?

BAZ7369

Hi all. For those that have recently completed stage 1, good luck! Hope it went well for you. Now just waiting for the results………!

Birmingham36

Hi guys sorry if this question is slightly off topic, just wanted to ask if West Midlands Trains drivers based at Birmingham New Street station bring prepare and dispose of traon and off the depots at Tyseley & Soho Depots? Just asking really as I am interested in becoming a train driver with West Midlands Trains at Birmingham New Street station.

Thanks.

12guard4

Hi guys sorry if this question is slightly off topic, just wanted to ask if West Midlands Trains drivers based at Birmingham New Street station bring prepare and dispose of traon and off the depots at Tyseley & Soho Depots? Just asking really as I am interested in becoming a train driver with West Midlands Trains at Birmingham New Street station.

Thanks.
Yes to both depots but trainees will never see Tysley

12guard4

Ah okay but how come trainees will never see tyseley but would they see soho depot? Also is the practical training like PTS & slow train movements taken place at both tyseley & soho depots?
You'll do a training day at Tysley but very little diesel work at new street now

PaulBusDriver

Ah okay but how come trainees will never see tyseley but would they see soho depot? Also is the practical training like PTS & slow train movements taken place at both tyseley & soho depots?
Tyseley isn't used for Slow speed moves, there was a serious incident once and it is a big busy depot, they don't like people moving stuff around there unless its completely necessary.
Im at Worcester and trained with guys who will be based at Snow Hill, we did our slow speed moves whereas the guys at snow hill didnt because of this.

dzdoris

Tyseley isn't used for Slow speed moves, there was a serious incident once and it is a big busy depot, they don't like people moving stuff around there unless its completely necessary.
Im at Worcester and trained with guys who will be based at Snow Hill, we did our slow speed moves whereas the guys at snow hill didnt because of this.
We did our slow moves at Tyesley in October and I'll be/am based at Snow Hill :)

Also @Birmingham36 I put my preference for New Street in my application and got Snow Hill. Think it depends on when the courses are ran and which you get on.

Last edited:

PaulBusDriver

We did our slow moves at Tyesley in October and I'll be/am based at Snow Hill :)

Also @Birmingham36 I put my preference for New Street in my application and got Snow Hill. Think it depends on when the courses are ran and which you get on.
Thats unusual, the Snow Hill guys were informed that they would do them later for the reasons I stated.
Could be a case of being told whatever pops into someones head and is convenient at the time I suppose!

BAZ7369

Happy New Year to you all.

Time to start prepping for testing stage 2! Good luck to anyone else heading to OPC Watford, might see you there.

Oddgy

Hi Guys,
I’ve just received a email asking me to click on a link for a video interview - this has surprised me as it was early last year when I first applied. This has taken me back some what I haven’t been able to find any information on such, is this a proper interview or like a stage 1 type interview of asking a few questions to see my responses etc?
Anyone else had the same email ?
cheers