• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT New Driver Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

se99db

Can anyone who's gone through New driver training at WMT recently answer a few questions.

Where does each section of the training take place. I assume free rail travel is accessable from day 1, but is parking available at either training location and/assigned depot. Is overnight accomodation provided in some circumstances (eg you live further then an hour from training location, I know some TOC's provide this)

At what point do you get your uniform (before or during)

What food/drink facilities are there at the various training locations.

What days and hours are the usual classroom training? And do they stick to the 4 day working week, or does that only apply once you start driving?

I know there's a lot there, but if anyone can answer any of these or give any other points they think may be useful I would appreciate it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wba0986

Good questions, when do you start as I'm starting on the 3rd may and would like the same answers

akasutts

Hi,

I’ll answer what I can from my personal experience.

Training was predominantly completed at the academy in Brum City Centre. We had a few weeks working out of New Street to complete front end turns and four weeks later on in the training at a depot to complete the traction and depot specifics parts of the course. Inductions, functional skills, intro to ops and rules 1/2 were all completed out of the academy.

Training hours were roughly 08:30 - 15:30, Mon-Fri, however this will vary when you complete the aspects of the course that are away from the academy. Front end turns you will follow a drivers shift pattern for two weeks (4 day week across Mon-Fri). Depot specifics for us was completed late evening and traction for us was also late evening (Mon-Fri).

Free travel was available for us from day 1. Parking at the company car park was not, however the majority of us were travelling in by train. Those that did drive in and park already had access to a parking pass as they were internal employees.

We were given our uniform on the second day of our inductions as far as I can remember.

The academy has a hot drinks machine and access to fridge, microwave etc.

Last edited:

se99db

Hi,

I’ll answer what I can from my personal experience.

Training was predominantly completed at the academy in Brum City Centre. We had a few weeks working out of New Street to complete front end turns and four weeks later on in the training at a depot to complete the traction and depot specifics parts of the course. Inductions, functional skills, intro to ops and rules 1/2 were all completed out of the academy.

Training hours were roughly 08:30 - 15:30, Mon-Fri, however this will vary when you complete the aspects of the course that are away from the academy. Front end turns you will follow a drivers shift pattern for two weeks (4 day week across Mon-Fri). Depot specifics for us was completed late evening and traction for us was also late evening (Mon-Fri).

Free travel was available for us from day 1. Parking at the company car park was not, however the majority of us were travelling in by train. Those that did drive in and park already had access to a parking pass as they were internal employees.

We were given our uniform on the second day of our inductions as far as I can remember.

The academy has a hot drinks machine and access to fridge, microwave etc.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these points.

For those traveling by train into Birmingham for training are you able to park at your local base depot (as I live a fair way from mine).

So you don't start your 4 day working week until driving starts, it's generally a 5 day (unless doing front end turns etc) and until you qualify?

akasutts

For those traveling by train into Birmingham for training are you able to park at your local base depot (as I live a fair way from mine).

So you don't start your 4 day working week until driving starts, it's generally a 5 day (unless doing front end turns etc) and until you qualify?
No problem at all...

In relation to parking, I’ll be honest and say that I’m not entirely sure. For us on our course that will be based at New Street I believe that we need a parking pass for the depot car park. During our training at the Academy we filled out the form to receive the parking pass, but to this point we haven’t yet received them. If you will require a pass earlier due to needing to park you may be able to sort this out with HR or they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Yes, during initial training you will work a five day week other than when front ending with a driver, before moving onto the four day week when handling.

PaulBusDriver

Currently I'm at snow hill for a course.

On your first day of ITO you'll be told about uniform, asked to bring a big bag or suitcase on the day it is available to pick up.
You will be able to obtain a parking permit for your depot before front end turns, at least our trainer had us all fill out forms. Normally permits are requested by filling out a form at your home depot, assuming parking is available at every depot but I can't say for sure.

Every day has been a 5 day, mon-fri whilst in the training school. You get a break every hour and a half, 15 mins for tea and a wee and half an hour for lunch.
Front end turns are whatever you arrange between you and your trainer/driver.

se99db

I should be starting 7th June if all goes well with my medical next week :)
Am sure will be all fine, see you there!

Currently I'm at snow hill for a course.

On your first day of ITO you'll be told about uniform, asked to bring a big bag or suitcase on the day it is available to pick up.
You will be able to obtain a parking permit for your depot before front end turns, at least our trainer had us all fill out forms. Normally permits are requested by filling out a form at your home depot, assuming parking is available at every depot but I can't say for sure.

Every day has been a 5 day, mon-fri whilst in the training school. You get a break every hour and a half, 15 mins for tea and a wee and half an hour for lunch.
Front end turns are whatever you arrange between you and your trainer/driver.
That's perfect, thank you. I guess I am not the only person who will be driving to my base depot when I actually start driving proper, so there must be something in place to allow for parking during training surely?

Withoutabix

Regarding the parking at depots its not something your going to be getting until your classed as operational especially if your based at new street, there is a distinct lack of parking atm, so parking for trainees just isn’t going to be a priority.

Even for front ending it’s basically get the 1st train in if your on earlies and the last train home if your on lates.

your only real option is to train it in during your training period.

se99db

Regarding the parking at depots its not something your going to be getting until your classed as operational especially if your based at new street, there is a distinct lack of parking atm, so parking for trainees just isn’t going to be a priority.

Even for front ending it’s basically get the 1st train in if your on earlies and the last train home if your on lates.

your only real option is to train it in during your training perno I totally get

I wonder if parking at stations is possible, at least that way can drive to nearest station and train from there (obviously I know there is season ticket parking, but just didn't know if there was something available for operational staff)

Last edited:

Coach Carter

I wonder if parking at stations is possible, at least that way can drive to nearest station and train from there (obviously I know there is season ticket parking, but just didn't know if there was something available for operational staff)
In general you only get a permit for the depot you will work from. If your DM is sound they might sign off the permit for your local station as well.
Parking permits are also notoriously slow to receive and despite filling in a form given to you at the academy you will likely be chasing them for months.
Best contacting you DM just before starting front ends to check parking situation if you havnt got a pass at that point.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
In general you only get a permit for the depot you will work from. If your DM is sound they might sign off the permit for your local station as well.
Parking permits are also notoriously slow to receive and despite filling in a form given to you at the academy you will likely be chasing them for months.
Best contacting you DM just before starting front ends to check parking situation if you havnt got a pass at that point.

Not to mention many station staff car parks are often oversubscribed even outside of Brum city centre.

PaulBusDriver

I didn't have a problem getting a arling permit for Worcester but nobody based at snow hill got one, suppose it depends on your local depot.

PaulBusDriver

How and when did you go about this, I will be based there too?
Your trainer at snow hill can get a form for you, he/she will sort it out.
You shouldn't worry too much about it, most arrangements will be done without you asking.

Coach Carter

How and when did you go about this, I will be based there too?
If your at Worcester then you should have received your company ID card by then and it will let you through the electronic gates to the employee car park without the need for a pass.

PaulBusDriver

I meant am based at Worcester, hence why I was asking.
I mean that while you are at snow hill, at the training center, you will be asked if you need to park at Worcester and given a form to fill in which will get faxed to worcester.
You can use your staff pass that gets you into the training center to get you on the car park but there is also a pass that goes in your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.