• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Words and phrases recently introduced into the English language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
It seems to be unclear exactly what woke means. On-line dictionaries seem to give it the meaning of ‘aware of injustices in society, particularly racism’, but they are still a bit vague. I can’t think of a single word that it effectively replaces, as all that come to mind have either senses that are either sufficiently different or too vague.

However, plenty of people are using it in the sense of ‘hold views that I, in my privileged and comfortable position, despise because they might threaten my situation’. It is clear that a number (mainly) on the right are bandying it about as an insult and just including almost everyone who tries to stick up for the those who need sticking up for.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The word "woke" is now regularly seen and is an example of such a recently introduced word. Was there any previous word in the English language that would have described the matter?
Some sources assert that the word “woke” and the associated phrase to “stay woke” are not new — and possibly came about in the 1940s when they were first used by African Americans to “literally mean becoming woken up or sensitised to issues of justice”.

If that's correct, it would mean that the word "woke" has been used in American street and youth culture for quite some time (75+ years), only comparatively recently crossing over into mainstream usage as the 'Black Lives Matter' movement has gained prominence.

The word/meaning was apparently first included in the Oxford English Dictionary only five years ago, in 2017.

jfollows

Established Member
I think "woke" is currently a Humpty Dumpty word, in other words it means what the speaker/writer chooses it to mean. At some point it may crystallise into having a better defined meaning. There are other words around like this, "gaslighting" being one of them too.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think "woke" is currently a Humpty Dumpty word, in other words it means what the speaker/writer chooses it to mean. At some point it may crystallise into having a better defined meaning. There are other words around like this, "gaslighting" being one of them too.
See also the term “death threat”, which has crept from meaning “someone is directly threatening to kill me” to “someone says they hope I get cancer or walk under a bus”.

Gloster

Established Member
Wokery is the practice of constantly finding genuine and make-believe minority groups, claiming discrimination against them and demanding redress or accomodations in one way or another. It's a good example of how the admirable aim of treating everyone equally has been corrupted and intentionally divides people into rigid groups, and vilifies anyone who is seen as 'against' them (even for valid reasons). For instance. Wokery is every bit as intolerant as any intolerance it claims to be against, and normally aims to shut down any debate about things it doesn't agree with (see the 'cancel culture' which is increasingly prevalent, especially in academia).

You have proved the very point made earlier on. You interpret it as that, which I have to say is at variance with dictionaries, and are saying that it means what you want it to mean. You are almost acting as a reverse ‘woker’ (if that is the word). (Unless your post is actually satire.)

Last edited by a moderator:

You have proved the very point made earlier on. You interpret it as that, which I have to say is at variance with dictionaries, and are saying that it means what you want it to mean. You are almost acting as a reverse ‘woker’ (if that is the word). (Unless your post is actually satire.)

Post deleted as moderators are deleting parts of posts, making debate pointless.

Last edited:

kevin_roche

The use of the word "ask" instead of "request". I don't know if it counts as a new word but many people are using the verb as if it were a noun.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The use of the word "ask" instead of "request". I don't know if it counts as a new word but many people are using the verb as if it were a noun.
Ask as a noun is older than the word request. "It's a big ask" seems to be football-related and I reckon it's been in England at least 20-25 years.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
The word "woke" is now regularly seen and is an example of such a recently introduced word. Was there any previous word in the English language that would have described the matter?

Woke seems to be a word massively used by people on the right to describe literally anything that they don't agree with.

- man didn't check his e-mails and missed his flight
- WOKE AIRLINE DENIES BOARDING TO WHITE MALE

And so on.

Generally speaking though, it's become synonymous with right wingers and anything they don't agree with.

jfollows

Established Member
There's also "leverage" as a verb which seems to be pronounced in the American way also, so I presume came from there and infected IBM management very quickly; in my opinion it serves no useful purpose because I don't know what it means, and all the guesses I can make as to what it means are more then adequately catered for by real words. I think it became a mandatory word to appear in presentations by "senior" people in organisations for a while, I'm not working any more so I don't know if it still does, but my perception of someone goes down by many notches the moment I notice them using the word.

Gloster

Established Member
I particularly dislike the way ‘good’ is used nowadays: ‘I’m good with that’, ‘I’m good’. I am not interested in your opinion of your moral standards or your behaviour: I want to know if you agree or if something is acceptable. It is not being used to increase clarity or add an extra nuance to something: if anything, it reduces them. I am quite happy about language evolving, but it should do so to improve understanding, not lessen it.

jfollows

Established Member
I particularly dislike the way ‘good’ is used nowadays: ‘I’m good with that’, ‘I’m good’. I am not interested in your opinion of your moral standards or your behaviour: I want to know if you agree or if something is acceptable. It is not being used to increase clarity or add an extra nuance to something: if anything, it reduces them. I am quite happy about language evolving, but it should do so to improve understanding, not lessen it.
Yes, I share your view; nothing wrong with new words to describe new things, circumstances, situations, whatever. New words which replace perfectly good ones, add no value, and only serve to confuse are the things I don't like. "Woke" is certainly one of these for me currently.

There's also "leverage" as a verb which seems to be pronounced in the American way also, so I presume came from there and infected IBM management very quickly; in my opinion it serves no useful purpose because I don't know what it means, and all the guesses I can make as to what it means are more then adequately catered for by real words. I think it became a mandatory word to appear in presentations by "senior" people in organisations for a while, I'm not working any more so I don't know if it still does, but my perception of someone goes down by many notches the moment I notice them using the word.

Post deleted as moderators are deleting parts of posts, making debate pointless.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
To "leverage" in the business world has, for some time now, meant to load up a company with lots of debt, in order to (hopefully!) generate significantly more profits than the additional borrowing costs (fees, interest, etc).

To "leverage" in the business world has, for some time now, meant to load up a company with lots of debt, in order to (hopefully!) generate significantly more profits than the additional borrowing costs (fees, interest, etc).

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So, as regards "leverage", not then a word recently introduced to the English language?

More a newer meaning for an existing word, perhaps?

Calthrop

Established Member
Leverage (with a short initial 'e' the American way) is what is being referred to above. As in 'To leverage the power of this new software product...'.

That pronunciation has me irresistibly thinking of baby hares. Is there perhaps, any way to leverage a leveret?

TwoYellas

It's a gutter term commonly emanating from right wing tabloids and shock jocks which has the corrosive effect of sensationalising various sensitive issues. Generally people who use this term want to wind people up by appealing to base emotions, they tend to only care about their own demographic and are happy to indulge in using the term at every opportunity.

Often the kind of people who use this term are the same who 10 years ago would be shaking their fist at the tv, apoplectic with rage, screaming "this is pc gone mad!' Because they saw a female or ethnic minority hosting their favourite game show (for example).

Just substitute 'pc' for 'woke' - the word of choice these days for people who hold this particular mindset.

It's a gutter term commonly emanating from right wing tabloids and shock jocks which has the corrosive effect of sensationalising various sensitive issues. Generally people who use this term want to wind people up by appealing to base emotions, they tend to only care about their own demographic and are happy to indulge in using the term at every opportunity.

Often the kind of people who use this term are the same who 10 years ago would be shaking their fist at the tv, apoplectic with rage, screaming "this is pc gone mad!' Because they saw a female or ethnic minority hosting their favourite game show (for example).

Just substitute 'pc' for 'woke' - the word of choice these days for people who hold this particular mindset.

Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
The American word Gotten seems to have got into the English Vocabulary

Nope. 'Gotten' is old and long-discarded British English that's returned via American usage. Embrace your heritage ;)

Has it ever occurred to you that you are demonstrating exactly the sort of hostile approach which you are criticising, just from the opposite direction?

Generalisations aside I believe @TwoYellas was on the money there.

nlogax

Established Member
Lots of intolerance of any opposing views on this forum, it would seem!

Presumably the two of you fully approve of the hounding of JK Rowling for her views, as that's a fine example of the way the woke behave towards people they don't agree with.

I don't agree with or find value in sweeping generalisations from any side, yours being the latest example.

Re. Rowling, she's made some pretty daft comments though she's not reached the bottom of the barrel of those specific arguments made by the likes of Graham Linehan. The police gave him a warning for harassment. No-one should be hounding or harassing anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.