• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

World’s best airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdd89

Established Member
Pre-clearance is only of benefit if you have a connecting flight; or to enable direct travel to a US airport without customs facilities (so I understand it for Canada and Mexico).

Anywhere else it’s a nuisance, as you end up crammed in a small area of an airport with limited facilities, and you run the risk of flight delays. I would actively avoid it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BahrainLad

My vote would be for either Hong Kong or Changi. The overall design of the whole Hong Kong "airport system" is excellent: you can check in your luggage right in the city centre, hop on a train which then drops you off on the departures level so it's a short walk to security and the gates. Then on the return, the train picks you up on the arrivals level below and whisks you into town. It's superb and I can't think of any other airport in the world that is integrated in such a way. Plus, the terminal still feels very up to date despite being over 20 years old. It will be very interesting to see what happens with the new extension and whether that is as good. Changi comes a close second I think although I am not a fan of having to clear security at each gate.

The problem with LHR of course is the piecemeal approach to expansion over the years. Even T5, which has a lot of potential, is just too small for the BA operation now (not to mention QR, AA etc who have all found their way in there as a result of the pandemic) and feels extremely crowded as a result. T4 was never designed to cater to longhaul aircraft, it was always conceived as a shorthaul/european terminal which is why the main building has such short walks to the gates.

Acfb

I haven't been to Changi, Hamad or Incheon but I've been to the other seven.

I would say my favourite is probably either Hong Kong or Haneda. Kansai is also interesting, I've even arrived there on the high speed ferry across the bay from Kobe airport. Zurich is probably my favourite 'major' European airport but I haven't been to Munich in a while and actually transferred there so I can't compare it.

neilmc

A few years ago we were flying from Manchester to Trinidad and had the choice of changing at Miami or Barbados. I suggested very strongly we avoid Miami with its surly, suspicious staff and overblown security and use a fellow West Indian airport - I was right. They were courteous and easygoing and we could check in at kerbside in the sunshine.

Middle Eastern airports have improved no end and the new airport in Muscat, Oman is very good. If you are flying from the UK provinces to an overseas destination I'd avoid changing at any London airport if possible, they are all horrid squalid holes or at least were on my previous encounters. And Manchester used to be much better but no longer so, with its nasty little money-grifting techniques like charging for drop-off.

TravelDream

Middle Eastern airports have improved no end and the new airport in Muscat, Oman is very good. If you are flying from the UK provinces to an overseas destination I'd avoid changing at any London airport if possible, they are all horrid squalid holes or at least were on my previous encounters.

Many, yes, but you clearly haven't been to dumps like the one at Abu Dhabi. The new terminal was under constructions for what seems like decades (I checked and it was just from 2012!) but they cancelled it this year even though a lot of the construction is finished.
To be fair, with Etihad shrinking quite dramatically even pre-pandemic, I am not sure there is much need for a new super terminal; but they certainly need to get rid of the one they have.

I also think you haven't been to Heathrow in quite some time. Terminal 2 is one of Europe's best terminals and T5 isn't bad.
TBH, I would only transit there if I stayed in one terminal as transfers are not great, but I would certainly do that same terminal transfer.

busesrusuk

My vote would be for either Hong Kong or Changi. The overall design of the whole Hong Kong "airport system" is excellent: you can check in your luggage right in the city centre, hop on a train which then drops you off on the departures level so it's a short walk to security and the gates. Then on the return, the train picks you up on the arrivals level below and whisks you into town. It's superb and I can't think of any other airport in the world that is integrated in such a way. Plus, the terminal still feels very up to date despite being over 20 years old. It will be very interesting to see what happens with the new extension and whether that is as good. Changi comes a close second I think although I am not a fan of having to clear security at each gate.

The problem with LHR of course is the piecemeal approach to expansion over the years. Even T5, which has a lot of potential, is just too small for the BA operation now (not to mention QR, AA etc who have all found their way in there as a result of the pandemic) and feels extremely crowded as a result. T4 was never designed to cater to longhaul aircraft, it was always conceived as a shorthaul/european terminal which is why the main building has such short walks to the gates.
Fully agree with what you say about HK. Always very efficient although immigration queues can take a bit of time but once through access to the city is second to none. However, rather than going straight ahead onto the Airport express I turn right and get the Cityflyer bus into the city. One of the best bus rides and one of the best intros into HK as you get to see so much, especially crossing the Tsing Ma and Stonecutters bridges followed by a run down to the Western Harbour crossing with the city laid out in front of you - a great introduction to the city and the bus drops me outside my hotel and costs less than half the price of the train ;) .

I always use the train to get back to the airport purely because of the convenience of checking bags in at the station leaving you unencumbered by luggage and giving you extra time to go and explore. Train to the airport and straight through passport control without worrying about luggage - very civilised..

I found Haneda a good airport and felt it was better than Narita but when I arrived in Narita last year there was a lot of building work in connection with the Olympics which spoilt the experience.

I find any US airport (not that I have been to that many) a challenge as the TSA agents are just downright rude and aggressive towards just about everyone!

paul1609

Established Member
In my experience both of the best airports I have travelled to/from were in Scotland, Sumburgh and Inverness. Both highly pleasant to use, no crowds, no delays and very swift security. In contrast most of the large airports in the world and awful places to have to deal with.
Kirkwall gets my vote for large airport, Barra for small airport but the bus service from the baggage reclaim facility needs better integration with flight arrivals, I ended up being picked up by the primary school minibus.

WestCoast

Established Member
Many, yes, but you clearly haven't been to dumps like the one at Abu Dhabi. The new terminal was under constructions for what seems like decades (I checked and it was just from 2012!) but they cancelled it this year even though a lot of the construction is finished.
To be fair, with Etihad shrinking quite dramatically even pre-pandemic, I am not sure there is much need for a new super terminal; but they certainly need to get rid of the one they have.

I also think you haven't been to Heathrow in quite some time. Terminal 2 is one of Europe's best terminals and T5 isn't bad.
TBH, I would only transit there if I stayed in one terminal as transfers are not great, but I would certainly do that same terminal transfer.

I actually have always preferred transferring at Heathrow T5 rather than Schipol. The distances are less and connecting to another UK airport from abroad it’s nice to be able to clear the UK control during the connection and save time
arriving in Scotland (in my case). Also, I think T5 has some very good food options (everything from Wetherspoons to fine dining!), which is good if you have a bit of a wait.

If you have to change terminals at Heathrow it’s a very different story though!

Bertone

I agree with some comments regarding Hong Kong Lantau as being a excellent airport but having flown into the old one, Kai Tak, many times, the experience of the aircraft doing a sharp right hand turn over the city to line up with the runway, which projected out into the Victoria Harbour sea, was a joy to behold each time !

TravelDream

I actually have always preferred transferring at Heathrow T5 rather than Schipol. The distances are less and connecting to another UK airport from abroad it’s nice to be able to clear the UK control during the connection and save time
arriving in Scotland (in my case). Also, I think T5 has some very good food options (everything from Wetherspoons to fine dining!), which is good if you have a bit of a wait.

If you have to change terminals at Heathrow it’s a very different story though!

Schiphol is another airport I have been to too many times.

It's efficient enough, but not amazing as such. It can involve a bit of walking and if you go there during KLM's banks (which you probably will), it can be really quite busy. You also always end up on a bus when flying to regional UK from the Fokker farm (Embraer farm nowadays I guess).

WestCoast

Established Member
Schiphol is another airport I have been to too many times.

It's efficient enough, but not amazing as such. It can involve a bit of walking and if you go there during KLM's banks (which you probably will), it can be really quite busy. You also always end up on a bus when flying to regional UK from the Fokker farm (Embraer farm nowadays I guess).

Oh for sure, but not just long walking times to the gates. There’s also the taxiing in/out to the far runways from the terminal which can be almost half as long as the flights from the UK!

bradders1983

A few years ago we were flying from Manchester to Trinidad and had the choice of changing at Miami or Barbados. I suggested very strongly we avoid Miami with its surly, suspicious staff and overblown security and use a fellow West Indian airport - I was right. They were courteous and easygoing and we could check in at kerbside in the sunshine.

Middle Eastern airports have improved no end and the new airport in Muscat, Oman is very good. If you are flying from the UK provinces to an overseas destination I'd avoid changing at any London airport if possible, they are all horrid squalid holes or at least were on my previous encounters. And Manchester used to be much better but no longer so, with its nasty little money-grifting techniques like charging for drop-off.
You mean just like any other significant airport in England then?

Status
Not open for further replies.