• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

World Record Model train

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this on the internet. It is a video of the 'world's longest model train'. The claim is 23 locomotives, over 1662 cars, 1134 feet long ( calculates as a scale 18.7 miles), and takes nearly 30 minutes to pass.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just how strong must the couplings have to be near the front of the train! That looks almost impossible. Very impressive.

Just how strong must the couplings have to be near the front of the train! That looks almost impossible. Very impressive.
They don't need to be too strong as the locos are distributed throughout the train, in the same way that real freight trains in America use DPUs. It has 5 on the front, and I tried to count the locos, but I made it 25, not 23. Still about 70 cars per loco.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They don't need to be too strong as the locos are distributed throughout the train, in the same way that real freight trains in America use DPUs. It has 5 on the front, and I tried to count the locos, but I made it 25, not 23. Still about 70 cars per loco.
Ah you see in my rush (because I’m meant to be working ;)) I just flicked through the clip quickly and didn’t pay proper attention. Now you say it that’s the obvious answer.

Peter C

Established Member
This one is quite cool too (skip to 07:30);

So they used model engines (lots of them) to pull a real one? That's brilliant! :D
I think some of the people in that video were in James May's Toy Stories; specifically the episodes where they built a model railway along the long-closed railway between Barnstaple and Bideford.
Both episodes can be found on Youtube.
First attempt:
Second attempt:

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.