• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst UK train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bussikuski179

Only one rule: it has to have been in service during this year. If a unit operated during 2020, it’s fair game. Will be interesting to hear this as I’ve not gone on many UK trains and I find them all pretty good. I have to say the worst I’ve been on would have to be the LU 1992 stock, and for mainline it’d probably be the 707. I mean, no toilets on a modern 2010s unit? Seriously? Otherwise they’re fine. Now, what do you think is the worst UK train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Worst for me - possibly an EMT HST because the coaches are so exhausted in standard class, not to mention the seats being too short for even toddlers. The coaches sway and have a very dated feel.

I also cannot stand Thameslink 700s or TransPennine Express 802s for their bland dentist waiting room white and blue interior and clinical lighting. Hull Trains and GWR have the opinion dividing pink and like green which I actually quite like as it adds colour, and I love the Azumas with the red, but I’d rather a 185 than the 802, don’t even get me started on the awful cloth seats in first class.

Finally, a Northern 150. They’re the most cramped things I’ve ever had the displeasure of using. The 319s come a close second. Give me a Pacer anyday.

DB

Pacers, definitely!

And to take the worst of the worst, that would have to be the 142s with Merseyrail seats (possibly the most uncomfortable train seats ever made).

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
142/143/144’s - horrid things
150/153/155/156’s - noisy, uncomfy
318/319/320/321 - outdated and uncomfy

DannyMich2018

Worst for me - possibly an EMT HST because the coaches are so exhausted in standard class, not to mention the seats being too short for even toddlers. The coaches sway and have a very dated feel.

I also cannot stand Thameslink 700s or TransPennine Express 802s for their bland dentist waiting room white and blue interior and clinical lighting. Hull Trains and GWR have the opinion dividing pink and like green which I actually quite like as it adds colour, and I love the Azumas with the red, but I’d rather a 185 than the 802, don’t even get me started on the awful cloth seats in first class.

Finally, a Northern 150. They’re the most cramped things I’ve ever had the displeasure of using. The 319s come a close second. Give me a Pacer anyday.
Have to disagree about EMR HST. Their 222s are awful, noisy, clausterphobic seating as seats arent individual and feel hemmed in in airline seats also the windows are either never clean on outside or condensation between panes and vibrate a lot and ride lively above bogie.

Midnight Sun

IET , Rock hard seats, poor or no buffet at all, Poor design of cycle space (The process of loading and unloading of cycles not taken in to account in the design process) As the interior colour and lighting, done by the office boy as it was the designers day off. The only train that required me to seek treatment for pain after one trip between London and Temple Meads.

cav1975

The -9 variety of South Eastern class 375 Electrostars. Very tightly packed extra uncomfortable seats. Other varieties are fine.

BJames

Established Member
Have to disagree about EMR HST. Their 222s are awful, noisy, clausterphobic seating as seats arent individual and feel hemmed in in airline seats also the windows are either never clean on outside or condensation between panes and vibrate a lot and ride lively above bogie.
Agree with you here - I actually quite like their HSTs and would always opt for a HST over a 222.

And pacers would get my vote too.

Fuzzytop

Aside from the obvious (Pacers and Voyagers), for me the worst is a GTR 387.

Rough-riding, uncomfortable, gaudy interior, and their low capacity makes them feel claustrophobic. Standard is bad enough, and first class just looks a complete rip-off...

J-2739

Established Member
The Class 150s are absolutely minging and have an engine sound akin to a bag of screwdrivers being thrown against a wall, again and again.

FLIRTfan18

Pacers are indisputably the worst, although they're so bad that going on one is such an interesting experience that I can actually extract some kind of enjoyment from it.
150s, on the other hand are not bad enough to be mildly entertaining but are still pretty awful, so for me they are probably the worst.

irish_rail

Established Member
Another vote for the 222s. They actually make 220 and 221s seem comfortable. The 222 seating is appalling and worse then an 800 seat too. Just awful trains, never have been able to enjoy a single ride on one. Praying XC dont take them on in 2022 as dont want them in the south west!

Trackman

Established Member
The Class 150s are absolutely minging and have an engine sound akin to a bag of screwdrivers being thrown against a wall, again and again.
I detest 150's just thinking about them conjures up bad visions in my mind.
And the noise they make... (as you say)
I remember when they first came out, I thought they were the brill!
Air con (lol) has 2 settings - either very hot or extremely hot.

supervc-10

I can only go on what I've actually been on, and not managed an 80x yet. But out of the stuff I have been on... it's got to be a Northern Pacer. Collapsing, leaking, rides like a bouncy castle, and if you are unfortunate enough to get bus seats- I just stand.

xotGD

Established Member
The saving grace of most Pacers is the 2+2 seating. Unlike the 150s.

But then you get a Merseyrail example to remind you how truly awful a train can be if you try hard enough.

I once travelled from Newcastle to Edinburgh in the BG with the mail bags. A much more pleasant experience.

lxfe_mxtterz

Northern Class 150s - vile things!

The ones with the actual-height seats are at most bearable, but the ones with the low, tiny seats are decrepit - cramped, dirty and you often feel as if you're sitting on the stain-covered floor.

The GWR 150s are slightly better, but I'm still no fan of them. Much prefer a superior 156 or a 158.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
For me in general, anything that is a DMU with maybe the exception of Turbostar 172s and CAF 195/196/197.

The worst train in my opinion by seat comfort is the Thameslink 700 - rock hard, very uncomfortable seats! Electrostar 387s (and later 377s) aren't much better either.

ashkeba

Established Member
There are worse out there but the worst I've been on this year are class 170 Turbostars: too small for the routes they work, worn out interiors and routinely thrashed.

trebor79

Established Member
Toss up between 153, 390 and voyagers.
153 too noisy and no legrooms.
390 claustrophobic, the seats in standard are worn out and tiny windows so you can't admire the scenery on the route.
Voyagers. Toilet smell, too small for the routes they serve, very thirsty on fuel so not brilliant for environmental credentials.

StevieH500

On Moderation
The saving grace of most Pacers is the 2+2 seating. Unlike the 150s.

But then you get a Merseyrail example to remind you how truly awful a train can be if you try hard enough.

I once travelled from Newcastle to Edinburgh in the BG with the mail bags. A much more pleasant experience.
Don't find the merseyrails to bad. Have almost broke a leg under the table of a 158 many a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.