• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst UK train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At least with the pacers everything worked (most of the time) and nothing ever came off in my hands.

Maybe not in your hands, but they did have to replace the doors because they tended to come off (well, come open) when a faster train passed.

Brake handles that won’t go into emergency.

!!

You'd think that would cause the fleet to be taken out of service for checks.

Efini92

Established Member
Maybe not in your hands, but they did have to replace the doors because they tended to come off (well, come open) when a faster train passed.

!!

You'd think that would cause the fleet to be taken out of service for checks.
There’s so many faults with them they should never have entered service.

js1000

319. Life-expired, bumpy ride, noisy, seats too low, poor acceleration.

To suggest the 331s - which are partly replacing some of the 319s - are some how worse than these units is frankly laughable.

The 150s a close second. Only let them off because they're diesel so they have an excuse to be noisy whereas electrics (generally) do not.

Vespa

Established Member
Pacers was probably the worst train I've been on, bouncy, uncomfortable seats, draughty......

Anything above that was marginally better until class 158 came on the scene which is a vast improvement.

js1000

I love the sound of a Class 319. Just something about it.

If you want decent seats, the LNR 319/2s (ex Brighton Express) have a very nice low-density Chapman seated 2+2 layout.
My axe to grind on the 319s are specifically the outdated Northern ones which have never been properly refurbished other than some cosmetic maintenance.

Efini92

Established Member

To suggest the 331s - which are partly replacing some of the 319s - are some how worse than these units is frankly laughable.

The 150s a close second. Only let them off because they're diesel so they have an excuse to be noisy whereas electrics (generally) do not.
I’d rather have a 319 all day long. At least with them I have the confidence of knowing the brakes are going to do what I ask of them.

xotGD

Established Member
At least with the pacers everything worked (most of the time) and nothing ever came off in my hands.
Everything certainly worked when the 143s were introduced in the north east.

31s, 37s, 47s, whatever Gateshead could find had to work in place of defective Pacers.

Jpr463

Class 150. Effectively the "new" Pacer. Slow, loud and the seating arrangement on Northern's is terrible. They make my heart sink whenever I see one turn up, usually in place of a 158 or 156 on my line, but I have a feeling they're here for some time to come.

Class 319s are also agonisingly slow and feel quite worn out. I'd rather Northern have replaced them all with the 331s, which in my opinion are excellent zippy things.

E27007

My least favourite jtrain ourneys were 50 years back, behind Peaks in Mk1 stock Sheffield to Bristol on jointed track, the journey was interminable, the train seemed to simple dawdle, was it 4 hours Sheffield to Bristol back then?
My dampened spirits would be rejuvenated with a spirited dash Bristol to Paddington behind a 47 and early Mark 2 coaching stock, no A/C, sliding windows windows open and the wheels singing a tune on continuous welded rail.
Sheffield Bristol a dawdling donkey, Bristol to Paddington a high spirited racehorse

Turtle

Boy, do I remember those low seats. Their reality only hit me after my back went!

prod_pep

Established Member
The 195s and 331s aren't perfect but for me they are leagues better than Northern's Pacers and Sprinters. They simply offer a much more pleasant internal environment. The ride quality of all CAF's new stock is underwhelming but it is nowhere near as bad as a Pacer. I've never thought the 150s or 319s ride particularly smoothly, either.

I'm tempted to nominate Voyagers after a couple of awful rides on them recently, particularly yesterday's Birmingham to Cheltenham Spa jaunt on 220024. Such a shaky ride, riddled with rattles.

delt1c

Established Member
Nothing will ever come close to a Driving Motor car of a 105 on jointed track at full speed. A Pacer is like an air cushion compared to the Cravens. If you didnt get deafened, suffer from concussion due to getting thrown about or suffer from exhaust fumes then you hadn't left the station and the engines weren't running

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I love the sound of a Class 319. Just something about it.

If you want decent seats, the LNR 319/2s (ex Brighton Express) have a very nice low-density Chapman seated 2+2 layout.

I'll stick with the CIG/BIG combo thanks.

I always thought putting tarted up suburban units on the Brighton express was a massive downgrade.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I'll stick with the CIG/BIG combo thanks.

I always thought putting tarted up suburban units on the Brighton express was a massive downgrade.

Oh now I must protest, we over on the Central division were very happy with our class 319s! Probably their refurbishment for Brighton Express trains was one of the only good things Connex South Central did. It was FCC that ruined them in the late 2000s and started to use 2+3 units on Brighton-Bedford trains.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
At least with the pacers everything worked (most of the time) and nothing ever came off in my hands

Apart from the gearboxes. And the doors. And the cardan shafts. And the heating.

But yes, the Pacers always worked :lol:

All* of the MkIII-derived multiple units are grim. 317, 319, 321, 455 and 150, all horrid. Designing a train where none of the seats align with the windows is an achievement, it has to be said.

(*The 442 is the honourable exception)

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Oh now I must protest, we over on the Central division were very happy with our class 319s! Probably their refurbishment for Brighton Express trains was one of the only good things Connex South Central did. It was FCC that ruined them in the late 2000s and started to use 2+3 units on Brighton-Bedford trains.

They were still rubbish compared to a CIG/BIG combo. I remember travelling on one of them and being unimpressed.

A ScotRail 318 or 320. Usually filthy, freezing, toilets out of use, power sockets haven’t worked since they were installed, WiFi that’s as much good as using Morse Code, unintelligible PA systems, noisy and a deteriorating ride quality. They are definitely entering their twilight years.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The 195s and 331s aren't perfect but for me they are leagues better than Northern's Pacers and Sprinters. They simply offer a much more pleasant internal environment. The ride quality of all CAF's new stock is underwhelming but it is nowhere near as bad as a Pacer. I've never thought the 150s or 319s ride particularly smoothly, either.

True, they are a solid Pacer/Sprinter replacement. A modern 150 maybe. Not in the same league as a 170, but used in the right place they needn't be. Trouble is Northern doesn't use them in the right place (though I'm heartened to hear of them showing up on Manchester suburbans, which like the Brum 172s they're perfect for).

On Moderation
They were still rubbish compared to a CIG/BIG combo. I remember travelling on one of them and being unimpressed.
That's not exactly an unbiased opinion given your like for all things Southern slam door.

Bit like asking me to compare a Valenta with an MTU 4000!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's not exactly an unbiased opinion given your like for all things Southern slam door.

Bit like asking me to compare a Valenta with an MTU 4000!

Possibly true. But you have to admit that a traditional first class mk 3 is better than their modern equivalents !

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My preferred First Class is the Pendolino, to be honest. They're below par in Standard, but First is very, very good.

Not bad, I admit, but you don't get an armchair that's more comfortable than anything in my house !

Established Member
Controversial, as I see people seemingly adore them.... and there is mention of trains under 1 year old don't count.. but.. by far,

Northern's Smash-bang Class 195.

Never had such a rough riding set, was like being on a mechanical bull headbutting a concrete wall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.