• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worthing to Bournmouth Routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainBoy98

Hi all, probably a simple request but can never quite figure out allowed routes...

My partner and I want to take our little one to Bournemouth for a couple of days in July.

On the way there, obviously Worthing-Southampton Central, then on to Bournemouth is best. But on the way back she wants to go shopping at Gunwharf Quay. Would going back Bournemouth-Ston Cen -Portsmouth Harbour-Worthing be allowed, or would I need to get us separate Bournemouth-Portsmouth and Portsmouth-Worthing tickets?

Thanks in Advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Metal_gee_man

So a standard return allow you to break your journey so you could just get off at Havant and buy a return Havant to Portsmouth Harbour, then get back to Havant and use the rest of your original ticket but it'll limit you to trains that don't go direct from Southampton Central to Portsmouth

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Would going back Bournemouth-Ston Cen -Portsmouth Harbour-Worthing be allowed, or would I need to get us separate Bournemouth-Portsmouth and Portsmouth-Worthing tickets?
It is not, strictly speaking, permitted to double back between Hilsea and Portsmouth Harbour unless this is done for interchange purposes (e.g. one of the trains doesn't stop at Hilsea). However, if you go onto a good booking site, such as www.trainsplit.com, you will be able to add a via point of Portsmouth Harbour and add in an additional interchange time of, say, 99 minutes. This will create an artificial 'break of journey' in your itinerary, and booking sites are unable to enforce the 'interchange only' restriction on doubling back within Routeing Point groups.

You are then perfectly entitled to follow the itinerary you have been provided, and you will be told when booking that the ticket you are buying permits break of journey at any point en route, so you are entitled to do this at Portsmouth Harbour provided your itinerary shows you going via there.

I don't think there will be any issues anyway, as it's not as if it's particularly unreasonable what you're proposing, but doing it this way means you're 100% legally covered in case the newly fitted Portsmouth Harbour barriers cause any issues. Also it avoids having to pay the much higher price for separate Bournemouth-Portsmouth and Portsmouth-Worthing tickets rather than the attractively priced route "via Barnham" through fare.

TrainBoy98

It is not, strictly speaking, permitted to double back between Hilsea and Portsmouth Harbour unless this is done for interchange purposes (e.g. one of the trains doesn't stop at Hilsea). However, if you go onto a good booking site, such as www.trainsplit.com, you will be able to add a via point of Portsmouth Harbour and add in an additional interchange time of, say, 99 minutes. This will create an artificial 'break of journey' in your itinerary, and booking sites are unable to enforce the 'interchange only' restriction on doubling back within Routeing Point groups.

You are then perfectly entitled to follow the itinerary you have been provided, and you will be told when booking that the ticket you are buying permits break of journey at any point en route, so you are entitled to do this at Portsmouth Harbour provided your itinerary shows you going via there.

I don't think there will be any issues anyway, as it's not as if it's particularly unreasonable what you're proposing, but doing it this way means you're 100% legally covered in case the newly fitted Portsmouth Harbour barriers cause any issues. Also it avoids having to pay the much higher price for separate Bournemouth-Portsmouth and Portsmouth-Worthing tickets rather than the attractively priced route "via Barnham" through fare.

I hadn't even thought of adding a "via", silly me.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.