• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Would <member of staff> answer the next call please"

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I can't be the only one to have wondered why on a CrossCountry double voyager formation, there are inevitably announcements on the PA requesting that a particular person answers, followed by the three-tone chime that presumably is intended to indicate to a member of crew that they should pick up a handset and talk to another member of the crew? The person mentioned has ranged in specificity from "the retail service manager in the rear set" to just someone's first name.

This seems to be unique to CrossCountry Voyagers. What feature do other units have to avoid the need for this? It does seem like quite a clunky way of doing things.

(The three-tone chime isn't new, but these announcements are)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
When you have two TMs, two RSMs and two first class hosts and you need to speak to someone specific, how would you do it?
That's exactly the question I'm asking - why wasn't this a thing on single voyagers? Or on Pendolinos, where you also have a large number of staff?

O L Leigh

Established Member
That's exactly the question I'm asking - why wasn't this a thing on single voyagers? Or on Pendolinos, where you also have a large number of staff?

The answer is in your question. Pendolini and single Voyagers can be walked through and the staff member spoken to face-to-face, but that’s not possible on a double set. So you have to have some way of getting a message from one set across to the other and, as clunky as it seems, this is it.

Established Member
why wasn't this a thing on single voyagers?
Because generally there are only 3 crew members on a single set. 2 of which are based in the same place. So if you don't get the right person the first time then you certainly will on the second time.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The answer is in your question. Pendolini and single Voyagers can be walked through and the staff member spoken to face-to-face, but that’s not possible on a double set. So you have to have some way of getting a message from one set across to the other, and as clunky as it seems, this it.
That makes perfect sense now you put it like that - thanks very much. My question was founded on the mistaken assumption that there was some reason they wouldn't have been able to walk through even if it was single - I guess I thought the calls involved the driver who clearly couldn't leave the cab when she/he is supposed to be in control of the train.

Because generally there are only 3 crew members on a single set. 2 of which are based in the same place. So if you don't get the right person the first time then you certainly will on the second time.
I guess that also explains the thing you get (/ used to get) occasionally on single sets where there is a call, then half a minute or so later another call. Presumably they got the wrong person first time.

O L Leigh

Established Member
That makes perfect sense now you put it like that - thanks very much. My question was founded on the mistaken assumption that there was some reason they wouldn't have been able to walk through even if it was single - I guess I thought the calls involved the driver who clearly couldn't leave the cab when she/he is supposed to be in control of the train.

There is a separable cab call option that can be used if you want to talk to the driver. It stops the driver being disturbed by calls between the other crew members.

Established Member
I guess that also explains the thing you get (/ used to get) occasionally on single sets where there is a call, then half a minute or so later another call. Presumably they got the wrong person first time.
Yes, it used to be more common when certain hot food items are kept in the First Class end, so if someone wanted a bacon roll for example you would call the First Class host who would prepare and deliver it. However this now normally done online through the caterers tablets.

py_megapixel

Established Member
No. That is a different button, and not audible in the train.
There is a separable cab call option that can be used if you want to talk to the driver. It stops the driver being disturbed by calls between the other crew members.
Is that the case even if the driver wants to call the TM? I understand that the TM has access to a button to talk to the driver in the cab (where they are guaranteed to be), but there surely couldn't be an equivalent for the other way round, as the TM could be almost anywhere on the train.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Is that the case even if the driver wants to call the TM? I understand that the TM has access to a button to talk to the driver in the cab (where they are guaranteed to be), but there surely couldn't be an equivalent for the other way round, as the TM could be almost anywhere on the train.

All handsets have two options: Cab Call and Crew Call. Cab Call sounds in the cabs and Crew Call sounds everywhere else in the train. The TM could be anywhere in the train and it wouldn’t matter because they’d hear the tones and head to the nearest handset.

RHolmes

Our TPE trains also have this feature.

An automated “Can the conductor please contact the driver” can be selected on the cab PIS which also displays on the dot matrix displays

Undiscovered

It's also useful to pass on information discreetly to another member of staff.
I've guarded a train and spotted a suspected fare dodger boarding. They've clocked me, stuck in a separate set and smiled, knowingly. However, they don't know that my colleague is aboard their set, doing ticket checks.

I give a PA for the on train conductor to contact the guard and shortly, colleague buzzes me up.
Brief her on the situation with the dodger and the game is afoot.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
It's nothing new, I was making similar announcements on XC voyagers back in Virgin days. As others have pointed out, on multiple sets it is so the call can be directed to the person who needs to receive it.

It is possible to crew call specific carriages using the TMS. Where the shops are still in place the pa/crew call handset had a TMS screen next to it and by default calls the whole train. you can select crew call, select or deselect the relevant carriage on the TMS then hit confirm. The crew call would then make the call once you pressed the talk button on the handset, however the XC catering bays don't have a TMS therefore the crew call can only go out to the entire train.

Status
Not open for further replies.