• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would the Train Companies allow this film today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I'm not a great Arthur Askey fan but in this film he plays a train driver who follows a football team, gets arrested for throwing a meat pie at the ref, stops his train at the back of the ground to watch the match (at Burnden Park behind the old 'Railway End') and at the end leaves his train there after quitting.
I think the train companies would get it banned if it were to be made today (they certainly wouldn't allow filming for it on railway property).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comedy-Classics-Love-Match-DVD/dp/B000OIOPBI

No humour on the job any more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
The TOCs have no power over the cinema industry, and certainly don't have enough money to spend on lawyers compared to the major film studios. A case in point; the film Three and Out.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I expect they could probably film it on a preserved line. Throwing a meat pie at a ref is relatively mild compared with all those storylines that involve Rail Disasters of one kind or another. And what about Corrie? Even if it the name may not have been used, what did Metrolink think about the Tram Disaster Storyline, I wodner?

Bill EWS

Haven't seen this film for years. It was probably brand new when I saw it and at the time Arthur Askey and a number of the cast were quite well known and loved. You have to take the film for it's time. No doubt it looks rather dated now but I quite enjoyed the railway scenes and that was long before I ever thought that I would work on the ralway and knew very little about the subject.

I grew up near a playground next to the Main line at Woodside, Aberdeen and loved watching the steam trains pass by. Many stopped at the control signal on the Up line and we would get close up to the wire fence and check over the engine and the men in the cab. Of the passengers, I just wondered how the managed to afford to travel by train. That was an impossibility for me at that time.

The playground is still there. I wonder if present day children still run up to the wire today. There are no signals at the spot so tains simply run through, albeit on the Up they will be starting to brake for the signal at Kittybrewster when the distant it is against them.

By the main road and the junction with Station Road (Woodside Station) the over bridge is that where the Aberdeen-Inverurie Canal ran below, from Kittybrewster.

The railway, which follows much of the canal was built lower down from the canal at this spot, which thankfully left one of the very few remaining bridges and line of the canal still to be seen. It's worth checking out if you are ever in the area.

Well, at least your mention of the old film brought back a few memories to me Mutant Lemming, thanks for that.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
And what about Corrie? Even if it the name may not have been used, what did Metrolink think about the Tram Disaster Storyline, I wodner?

Apparently the Coronation Street production team had a lot of help from Metrolink in preparing that storyline...:roll:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Long gone indeed are the days of "The Titfield Thunderbolt" with the duel of the engine and the road roller, the purloining of a museum exhibit to provide the service as an emergency measure, the manner of the dispute with the new bus company, the questionable licencing policy which allowed alcohol to be served...and numerous other instances.

Days never forgotten, but never to return again.

Status
Not open for further replies.