• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wuppertal Schwebebahn photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
2 pix taken by a colleague of a train and Hammerstein Station on 20 Oct 21
20211020_145930.jpg20211020_150044.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XAM2175

Established Member
It's good fun, if perhaps a little bit disconcerting when it sways a bit from side to side!

Established Member
Shame the GTW72s are no more (the old orange and blue units), although their replacements are perfectly adequate.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Thank you for the photos.

Just looking at how I could get to Wuppertal and realised that it wouldn’t be too difficult (I thought it was further east than it actually is)

Is there anything else in the area that people would recommend visiting. It doesn’t just have to be transport based.

Established Member
Thank you for the photos.

Just looking at how I could get to Wuppertal and realised that it wouldn’t be too difficult (I thought it was further east than it actually is)

Is there anything else in the area that people would recommend visiting. It doesn’t just have to be transport based.

Depends how far you're willing to stray. Wuppertal isn't a huge distance away from either Cologne or Dusseldorf, which both have sizeable tram/light rail networks as well as being great cities overall. Wuppertal itself isn't much to write home about in my book.

I went by trolleybus from Vohwinkel Schwebebahn station to Solingen - an interesting inter-urban route and the largest remaining system in Germany. There is a loop round the streets right outside the Schwebebahn station, but be aware that the Hbf. in Solingen is well outside the city-centre and you have to change trolleybuses in the main square to reach it.

Established Member
Is Dahlhausen Railway museum still open?

It is, I went the other week!

I went by trolleybus from Vohwinkel Schwebebahn station to Solingen - an interesting inter-urban route and the largest remaining system in Germany. There is a loop round the streets right outside the Schwebebahn station, but be aware that the Hbf. in Solingen is well outside the city-centre and you have to change trolleybuses in the main square to reach it.

Another good way of getting from Wuppertal to Solingen is S-Bahn line S7 - it goes over the Müngstener Brücke, the highest railway bridge in Germany.

eastwestdivide

Established Member

bluenoxid

Established Member
Thank you all.

Depends how far you're willing to stray. Wuppertal isn't a huge distance away from either Cologne or Dusseldorf, which both have sizeable tram/light rail networks as well as being great cities overall. Wuppertal itself isn't much to write home about in my book.

If you’ve time, you can get off at Solingen-Schaberg, and view the Müngsten bridge from below (from a nice cafe by the water’s edge). My photos over at https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...nd-brown-coal/&do=findComment&comment=3698040

Status
Not open for further replies.