• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Xplore Dundee

WM Bus

Seems a bit of a botched job, whilst I get the bus can be repainted to one of the NX subsidiaries, does seem more money wasted plus for the bus to have come up to then return too.
Didn't 731 go up in Dundee green, never see use and then come back down as well?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
Didn't 731 go up in Dundee green, never see use and then come back down as well?

I think you are right as looking on Flickr we did have it in service whilst it was here as Xplore Dundee in NXWM colours,

in service Dundee:

Xplore Dundee colour: Oct 5 2018 on M6 Wreay (unsure of direction - whether it came up originally or its came back down)

As far as I remember I doubt the bus did enter service in the Xplore colour - so you could add this is another bus that was repainted to be sent back.

I am sure even further back that even one of the Volvo Urban single deckers was sent back too? --- found it (one of them) ... Xplore Dundee 1780

Xplore: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kiewi...-27VDF3X-HDpMri-26QcSL9-JsLEPp-MxvmMQ-2bk2evS

NXWM: https://www.flickr.com/photos/10155...-27VDF3X-HDpMri-26QcSL9-JsLEPp-MxvmMQ-2bk2evS

NXWM Training?: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanj...-27VDF3X-HDpMri-26QcSL9-JsLEPp-MxvmMQ-2bk2evS

Last edited:

Kiewii

I am sure even further back that even one of the Volvo Urban single deckers was sent back too? --- found it (one of them) ... Xplore Dundee 1780

Xplore: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kiewi...-27VDF3X-HDpMri-26QcSL9-JsLEPp-MxvmMQ-2bk2evS

NXWM: https://www.flickr.com/photos/10155...-27VDF3X-HDpMri-26QcSL9-JsLEPp-MxvmMQ-2bk2evS

NXWM Training?: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanj...-27VDF3X-HDpMri-26QcSL9-JsLEPp-MxvmMQ-2bk2evS
The first photo is 1777, just that I happened to mention 1780 in the description.

The only B7RLE that went back to the West Midlands was 1787, which first arrived in 2015 in red and white, then returned to Walsall for painting then back to Dundee.

kez19

Established Member
The first photo is 1777, just that I happened to mention 1780 in the description.

The only B7RLE that went back to the West Midlands was 1787, which first arrived in 2015 in red and white, then returned to Walsall for painting then back to Dundee.

I remember that bus when I seen it around Dundee at the time! (1787) in NXWM colours (was more obvious that on the back window you still seen the imprint of NXWM on the bus!)

Just looking on bustimes (I know its not accurate as such), 1776 was last out in November but none of their other ones have been out either?, just looking on the fleet list here: https://www.ukbuses.co.uk/fleet/nxdundee.pdf
there is only 2 now? ... 1776 and 1782 (where did the rest go?), I am guessing withdrawn due to age/sold on? I didn't even know they had left the fleet!

Xplore Training: 1774/5 then include 1776/1782 (4) left?

I maybe asking something stupid but hopefully someone can enlighten me? How is that a bus from 2006 goes quicker (Volvo B7RLE) than buses from 2004 (Volvo Gemini B7TL-57)

Last edited:

Kiewii

I remember that bus when I seen it around Dundee at the time! (1787) in NXWM colours (was more obvious that on the back window you still seen the imprint of NXWM on the bus!)

Just looking on bustimes (I know its not accurate as such), 1776 was last out in November but none of their other ones have been out either?, just looking on the fleet list here: https://www.ukbuses.co.uk/fleet/nxdundee.pdf
there is only 2 now? ... 1776 and 1782 (where did the rest go?), I am guessing withdrawn due to age/sold on? I didn't even know they had left the fleet!

Xplore Training: 1774/5 then include 1776/1782 (4) left?

I maybe asking something stupid but hopefully someone can enlighten me? How is that a bus from 2006 goes quicker (Volvo B7RLE) than buses from 2004 (Volvo Gemini B7TL-57)

1776 was certainly out in December, as I saw it near enough everyday about 20 times!

1777 to 1787 are now training buses with National Express West Midlands and I am sure 1776 will follow shortly

kez19

Established Member
1776 was certainly out in December, as I saw it near enough everyday about 20 times!

1777 to 1787 are now training buses with National Express West Midlands and I am sure 1776 will follow shortly

Hypothetical: what was the point in having all these buses decorated into Xplore colours to then now be taken back to NXWM?

for 1776 I did state I looked on bustimes lol ....

So Xplore will have then 3 1774/5 and 1782 left (and pending what happens next?), just seems to me rather pointless to have brought them up to send them back, I'm also guessing the reason they had been brought up was to get rid of the previous buses such as the B10LE, and including the Optare buses? (possibly due to DDA regulations or something along the lines of that?)

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Hypothetical: what was the point in having all these buses decorated into Xplore colours to then now be taken back to NXWM?

for 1776 I did state I looked on bustimes lol ....

So Xplore will have then 3 1774/5 and 1782 left (and pending what happens next?), just seems to me rather pointless to have brought them up to send them back, I'm also guessing the reason they had been brought up was to get rid of the previous buses such as the B10LE, and including the Optare buses?
They've been in service in Dundee for some time now - I think they arrived from WM in 2014/5? 1774-1778 were withdrawn from normal service in January 2019, IIRC, when there were service cuts changes.

1776 was only latterly used for driver shuttles and a school duplicate on the 5 hence there's not very much on bustimes relating to it.

It has been reported elsewhere that 1782 is not part of the deal with McGills and will be returning to WM, along with 1776 and 2246.

kez19

Established Member
They've been in service in Dundee for some time now - I think they arrived from WM in 2014/5? 1774-1778 were withdrawn from normal service in January 2019, IIRC, when there were service cuts changes.

1776 was only latterly used for driver shuttles and a school duplicate on the 5 hence there's not very much on bustimes relating to it.

It has been reported elsewhere that 1782 is not part of the deal with McGills and will be returning to WM, along with 1776 and 2246.

Thats about right only looking at the existing fleet list it was 2015, 1774-1778 were taken out in Jan 2019 (2 years ago) for service cuts (I could understand still at least having them running around on certain areas)

1776, I have seen that doing its round as a driver shuttle (sure it was just last week seen at Commercial St to head to depot)

1776/1782 the last 2 on that list will go with 2246 to NXWM, still in a way thats quite alot of buses to have gained to then have lost.

Regarding 2014/15 that was the last time we seen the last of the Optare and the then B10LE (example) to go to be replaced with the buses 1774-1782 and then some of the President Plaxtons too.

Last edited:

Kiewii

1787 first arrived around April 2015, then the rest came up during the summer following the rebranding to Xplore Dundee. 1779 and 1780 were also withdrawn in January 2019, but quickly reinstated due to a shortage. Similarly, 1777 and 1778 were brought back towards the end of 2019 again due to shortage of buses.

Regarding 2014/15 that was the last time we seen the last of the Optare and the then B10LE (example) to go to be replaced with the buses 1774-1782 and then some of the President Plaxtons too.

All the Optare Solos were withdrawn following the arrival of five Wright Streetlites in September 2015.

kez19

Established Member
1787 first arrived around April 2015, then the rest came up during the summer following the rebranding to Xplore Dundee. 1779 and 1780 were also withdrawn in January 2019, but quickly reinstated due to a shortage. Similarly, 1777 and 1778 were brought back towards the end of 2019 again due to shortage of buses.

All the Optare Solos were withdrawn following the arrival of five Wright Streetlites in September 2015.

thank you for the explanation, as I am not clued up on the bus knowledge ie fleet numbers/ bus models/makes, but I do notice some changes.

I thought it was my imagination seeing ie 1778 being about on routes but I did wonder where the rest had gone too but here we are.

Yet if I also remember there has been one or two of even them been sent back (pre-McGills). (Xplore has 432 and 434 - originally was it like 431-435?)

Seems for the last couple of years Xplore is playing musical buses than chairs with the bus turnround!

Last edited:

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The new timetables valid from January 24th are now available on Traveline and bustimes.org, but I wouldn't be surprised if plans change before then given recent governmental announcements.

It has been confirmed that current (i.e. full) service will continue until January 23rd.

Christmas

One of the first things McGill's done when it took over Arriva was to stop advertising on their buses. I wonder if they'll do this with Xplore?

Any additional revenue should surely be welcome!

kez19

Established Member
One of the first things McGill's done when it took over Arriva was to stop advertising on their buses. I wonder if they'll do this with Xplore?

Unless they’ll heavily advertise the brand on buses?

As only on McGills you see McGills then pending on bus their website?

Scotrail88

Not sure how much money it generates these days and will only reduce once the pandemic ends.

Space has reduced across the whole country as route branding and vehicle layout changes (middle emergency doors, etc).

I wouldn’t be surprised if the advertising goes from Dundee. Then questions if there is enough buses remaining in the area for the company to keep doing on bus advertising in the area.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Does anyone know when changeover day is?
The new owners took over on 1st January 2021. The ‘transitional’ period mentioned above is simply an administrative process that allows a smooth transition between the systems in use by the previous owners and the new owners. Thus ensuring supplies continue to be ordered, bills/employees paid, relevant software agreements transferred/integrated etc.

Cesarcollie

The new owners took over on 1st January 2021. The ‘transitional’ period mentioned above is simply an administrative process that allows a smooth transition between the systems in use by the previous owners and the new owners. Thus ensuring supplies continue to be ordered, bills/employees paid, relevant software agreements transferred/integrated etc.
Not sure about that. Companies House still shows owners as NX and the same NX Directors. Plus a ‘transition period’ is most ....er....unusual. They either own and control it or they don’t. They may well have an agreement to carry on using certain NX systems (payroll, IT, whatever, for a set period) but that would be similar to any out-sourced function.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Not sure about that. Companies House still shows owners as NX and the same NX Directors. Plus a ‘transition period’ is most ....er....unusual. They either own and control it or they don’t. They may well have an agreement to carry on using certain NX systems (payroll, IT, whatever, for a set period) but that would be similar to any out-sourced function.
As Stan Drews has said, the sale was completed on Hogmanay and the new owners took over from January 1st. I have this info from a company employee!

The gov.uk website is horrendously slow at updating things recently - including Companies House and the DVSA (MoT expiries, for example).

Cesarcollie

As Stan Drews has said, the sale was completed on Hogmanay and the new owners took over from January 1st. I have this info from a company employee!

The gov.uk website is horrendously slow at updating things recently - including Companies House and the DVSA (MoT expiries, for example).

Hmmm. Okay. Though even their own website still says they are part of the National Express Group

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Hmmm. Okay. Though even their own website still says they are part of the National Express Group
It wasn't so long ago that the Xplore website had timetables for services which were withdrawn 5 years prior, so I don't think that's anything to go by either! :lol:

317 forever

Established Member

I was hoping that the transition period would be the period during which McGills bring in their own buses and send National Express vehicles to the West Midlands for fleet upgrades there. I guess 3 months was a bit ambitious for that.

Stan Drews

Established Member
...They may well have an agreement to carry on using certain NX systems (payroll, IT, whatever, for a set period) but that would be similar to any out-sourced function.
That’s exactly it. Perfectly normal.

A Transition Service Agreement (TSA) is an agreement between a buyer and seller whereby the seller contracts with the buyer its services and know-how for a specified period of time in order to support and to allow the buyer acclimate to its newly acquired assets, infrastructure, systems, etc.

For example, a large car dealership may choose to sell off a division to a smaller, upcoming auto company, and part of their deal includes the large car dealership supporting the upcoming auto company with its HR, IT and accounting departments for six months or so. In theory, a TSA is pretty straightforward, and you would be correct to assume so.

A TSA is a fairly accurate business example of real life events: Mom and Dad help out with their son’s expenses for the first handful of months he is working, but pretty soon, he is able to take care of everything by himself. It’s not that a TSA is, on its face, complex; but it’s what lies within the TSA agreement that brings about many potential headaches and hiccups.

Are the legals changing or are they remaining as Tayside Transport Co Ltd?
There’s no change to the Operators Licence, so ‘legals‘ wont change.

kez19

Established Member
That’s exactly it. Perfectly normal.

A Transition Service Agreement (TSA) is an agreement between a buyer and seller whereby the seller contracts with the buyer its services and know-how for a specified period of time in order to support and to allow the buyer acclimate to its newly acquired assets, infrastructure, systems, etc.

For example, a large car dealership may choose to sell off a division to a smaller, upcoming auto company, and part of their deal includes the large car dealership supporting the upcoming auto company with its HR, IT and accounting departments for six months or so. In theory, a TSA is pretty straightforward, and you would be correct to assume so.

A TSA is a fairly accurate business example of real life events: Mom and Dad help out with their son’s expenses for the first handful of months he is working, but pretty soon, he is able to take care of everything by himself. It’s not that a TSA is, on its face, complex; but it’s what lies within the TSA agreement that brings about many potential headaches and hiccups.

There’s no change to the Operators Licence, so ‘legals‘ wont change.

Is this similar to back in 1997? Where the buses were council run to then hand over to then operator National Express?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Is this similar to back in 1997? Where the buses were council run to then hand over to then operator National Express?
The company was set up as a limited company wholly owned by the council, which then passed to a company owned by management and employees (Taybus Holdings Ltd.) before National Express took over. It's the same entity - the only difference is who owns the shares.

kez19

Established Member
Came across this:

A hydrogen fuelling station is to be built in Dundee, initially to fuel 12 buses in the McGill’s Xplore Dundee fleet. A procurement is underway for a company to design, build, maintain and operate the station and to generate and supply ‘green’ hydrogen – produced by electrolysis using on-site wind turbines and possibly a solar array. The facility is to be funded by Dundee City Council, Transport Scotland and a contribution from the successful bidder. Hydrogen production...

The company was set up as a limited company wholly owned by the council, which then passed to a company owned by management and employees (Taybus Holdings Ltd.) before National Express took over. It's the same entity - the only difference is who owns the shares.

Thank you, I did wonder

Last edited:

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The updated new timetables effective from January 24th are now available to view on the Xplore Dundee website. To find the timetables for the "new" services, you have to use the search box, otherwise they should be on the individual service pages.

It would appear they have decided to jump straight to "phase 2" of their "Plan for Your New Network", i.e. Saturday frequencies Monday to Saturday with early morning journeys retained. Overall a PVR drop of 13 compared to current service.