• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York Station Leeman Rd pedestrian tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

Hi

Am I right in thinking that the pedestrian tunnel beside Leeman Rd had an opening in the middle leading into the railway station?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
From what I remember it was the Edwardian era.
You have a good memory! :lol:

Seriously though, I've been a using the tunnel since the mid/late 70s and can't remember an opening - but I'll have to have a look for the traces of it next time I go through (which isn't that often now the 'new' entrance has opened).

The Scarborough platform (nos 2 and 4) has glass panels in its side walls where it crosses this tunnel, I assume to provide light into the tunnel.

Any former access would have been at this location, but there is absolutely no sign of one today.

P Binnersley

There is no pedestrian access visable on the 1891 map, but there was an access road up towards what is now platforms 10/11.

There is no pedestrian access visable on the 1891 map, but there was an access road up towards what is now platforms 10/11.
What are now platforms 10 and 11 were only constructed in the late 1930s and not fully commissioned until the power box was opened circa 1950.

Caboose Class

There's a video on YouTube which actually takes you through the tunnel at night. The tilework looks pretty original and intact to me.

greyman42

Established Member
Slightly off topic, but if i remember correctly there used to be tunnel from Leeman Road GPO sorting office to the station which would of run under the pedestrian tunnel, accessible by lift at the station.

sjpowermac

Established Member
I believe the answer to the question is ‘yes’.

It is shown in the 1889 map linked to here:
The consensus seems to be that it closed in 1932.

Image of both map and of the entrance to the ramp attached below.

I’ll try and get a picture tomorrow of how it looks now and if there are any signs remaining.

Info from the FB group ‘York station platform, the good old days’.

Attachments

• A3DE0F57-1F0A-4AA6-8094-6014AE67CAE6.jpeg
    A3DE0F57-1F0A-4AA6-8094-6014AE67CAE6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • 260E1C81-2F0D-4AD1-8698-72E8874CFC18.jpeg
    260E1C81-2F0D-4AD1-8698-72E8874CFC18.jpeg
    528.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

dazzler

Slightly off topic, but if i remember correctly there used to be tunnel from Leeman Road GPO sorting office to the station which would of run under the pedestrian tunnel, accessible by lift at the station.

I'm pretty sure that the tunnel from the sorting office doesn't cross under the road/pedestrian tunnels. The lift shaft from platforms 2 & 4 is the Scarborough Bridge side of the road tunnel. Sadly it's not really visible on Street View, but if I remember I shall take a wander down platform 2 on the way to work on Thursday and check!

sjpowermac

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that the tunnel from the sorting office doesn't cross under the road/pedestrian tunnels. The lift shaft from platforms 2 & 4 is the Scarborough Bridge side of the road tunnel. Sadly it's not really visible on Street View, but if I remember I shall take a wander down platform 2 on the way to work on Thursday and check!
I believe this is the correct answer. The lift down from platform 4 is definitely on the sorting office side of Leeman Road, visible in this picture with the arrow marking the lift.

The tunnel from the lift runs under platform 2 and Examination Road tracks along with the Cinder Lane footpath. The map shows roughly the route. I’m not aware of any other connection from the station to the sorting office, but happy to be corrected :D

You made me think about this topic, I’d always assumed the same thing until I looked carefully at some pictures I took from the footbridge over Leeman Road!

Attachments

• CF898D01-8DF6-40AA-A986-49E879310A79.jpeg
    CF898D01-8DF6-40AA-A986-49E879310A79.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • D7093041-81B3-446A-B1F7-2E3070B53FA6.jpeg
    D7093041-81B3-446A-B1F7-2E3070B53FA6.jpeg
    771.8 KB · Views: 36

theblackwatch

Established Member
I believe the answer to the question is ‘yes’.

It is shown in the 1889 map linked to here:
The consensus seems to be that it closed in 1932.

Image of both map and of the entrance to the ramp attached below.

I’ll try and get a picture tomorrow of how it looks now and if there are any signs remaining.

Info from the FB group ‘York station platform, the good old days’.
Thanks for posting that Simon, I was totally unaware until now that the long tunnel under all the lines was (if I'm seeing things rightly) at one point two totally separate structures. Every day is an education!

sjpowermac

Established Member
Thanks for posting that Simon, I was totally unaware until now that the long tunnel under all the lines was (if I'm seeing things rightly) at one point two totally separate structures. Every day is an education!
You are most welcome. I only became aware of this when I read the thread on FB last year.

Having gone back and had another look at the thread, there’s a fascinating view overlooking the station.

Given how wide the gap looks in this picture, I do wonder now if the picture I posted earlier is actually of the ramp or of another passage.

I’ve heard mention that there were some public conveniences in the tunnel, given the smell there on some days I think some people don’t realise they closed in the 1920s!

(Yes, every day is a school day, quite literally for some of us!)

Hi

Am I right in thinking that the pedestrian tunnel beside Leeman Rd had an opening in the middle leading into the railway station?

Thanks
Nice topic you’ve introduced, I hope my posts have helped:)

Attachments

• DEE992CF-F8E2-4366-88DB-CDEA24EDE4B8.jpeg
    DEE992CF-F8E2-4366-88DB-CDEA24EDE4B8.jpeg
    844.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

greyman42

Established Member
I believe this is the correct answer. The lift down from platform 4 is definitely on the sorting office side of Leeman Road, visible in this picture with the arrow marking the lift.
Yes, that is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.