• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yorkshire Tiger acquired by Transdev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
What do you mean 'buying vehicles outright'? Clearly they get vehicles built to their own spec - e.g. the new 'Sky Class' MMCs for Cityzap and Witchway - but are those leased or what?

(Sorry if I sound a bit stupid, this really isn't my area of knowledge)
I assume vehicles are leased. Most commercial vehicles are these days. Ambulances, fire engines etc are.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

What do you mean 'buying vehicles outright'? Clearly they get vehicles built to their own spec - e.g. the new 'Sky Class' MMCs for Cityzap and Witchway - but are those leased or what?

(Sorry if I sound a bit stupid, this really isn't my area of knowledge)
No worries, buying a vehicle outright simply means that they own the bus. Most operators lease vehicles from commercial companies on long term contracts nowadays. You can often spot which vehicles are owned by the company as they will tend to get as much life out of them as they possibly can before they scrap or sell them. For example with Transdev the B10BLEs and Presidents are owned outright.

Companies can still spec custom interiors/ bodywork even if they lease them.

py_megapixel

Established Member
No worries, buying a vehicle outright simply means that they own the bus. Most operators lease vehicles from commercial companies on long term contracts nowadays. You can often spot which vehicles are owned by the company as they will tend to get as much life out of them as they possibly can before they scrap or sell them. For example with Transdev the B10BLEs and Presidents are owned outright.

Companies can still spec custom interiors/ bodywork even if they lease them.
Oh, I get you. I did understand that buying them outright meant that the company owned the bus, but I wasn't really sure what the alternative to that was!

So basically these E200s operated in Gatwick or wherever for a while, then were returned to a leasing company and a new and unrelated lease on the same physical vehicles has now been signed by Transdev? That makes sense (and sounds quite similar to what happens to a lot of off-lease railway rolling stock)

Stan Drews

Established Member
Oh, I get you. I did understand that buying them outright meant that the company owned the bus, but I wasn't really sure what the alternative to that was!

So basically these E200s operated in Gatwick or wherever for a while, then were returned to a leasing company and a new and unrelated lease on the same physical vehicles has now been signed by Transdev? That makes sense (and sounds quite similar to what happens to a lot of off-lease railway rolling stock)
Those E200s were used at Heathrow Airport by Menzies. However, they lost the contracts to Transdev Airport Services (CCH) in early 2020, and the buses will initially have passed to Transdev. Therefore, it’s possible that they have simply been redeployed within the Transdev empire, almost certainly under a revised/extended lease agreement or they could have acquired them outright.

skyhigh

Established Member
The leasing company might lease them out again, alternatively they might decide it's more worthwhile to sell them on.

JetBlast

Those E200s were used at Heathrow Airport by Menzies. However, they lost the contracts to Transdev Airport Services (CCH) in early 2020, and the buses will initially have passed to Transdev. Therefore, it’s possible that they have simply been redeployed within the Transdev empire, almost certainly under a revised/extended lease agreement or they could have acquired them outright.
I hadn’t realised that Transdev had operations in the Uk outside of Blazefield.

Stan Drews

Established Member
I hadn’t realised that Transdev had operations in the Uk outside of Blazefield.
That isn’t unusual, as I think many enthusiasts are unaware of their subsidiaries at Heathrow. Originally just CCH Aviation Logistics providing services primarily for airline crews, but Transdev Airport Services was created to operate the Landside and Airside contracts for both staff and the public, that they won early last year. I suspect the pandemic has meant that contract gain has gone very much under the radar.

Details about the CCH operation can be found at www.cchlogistics.com

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Team Pennine have started mentioning their first new route.

Calling #Kirkheaton!

You told us you were tired of other bus companies not taking your needs seriously.

So, from Sep 5th, if you want a quick bus into #Huddersfield, built around you, there’s no need to be blue… because the future is pink.

ℹ️ More info coming soon. https://t.co/GPoIrBHcAC

Arriva have announced that they will be doubling the current frequency to Kirkheaton.

More 261 buses for Kirkheaton from 4th September. Further details will be announced soon. https://t.co/tEki7W3K4J

An image in the tweet refers to a half hourly service.

Kirkheaton is currently served hourly by Arriva, with one late journey from Huddersfield by First.

Andyh82

Established Member
Team Pennine have done a paper timetable for the new Denby Darts D1 service

It’s currently the only paper timetable available of any service in Huddersfield, so occupies about 20 slots in the wall of timetables in the travel centre!

They’ve also very professionally added the Team Pennine name to existing vehicles, rather than slapping on a white sticker with the new name on like some operators would, or a pink/purple sticker which would clash, they’ve used an orange sticker on Tiger livery vehicles so it fits in well with the current livery, and with a good attention to detail, buses in Tiger Blue or Arriva livery have blue stickers.

overthewater

Established Member
It will be interesting to see if the passengers all make the switch to the pink or if they stick with the blue. I take it a lot of people have been demanding such an increase?

Established Member
They’ve also very professionally added the Team Pennine name to existing vehicles, rather than slapping on a white sticker with the new name on like some operators would, or a pink/purple sticker which would clash, they’ve used an orange sticker on Tiger livery vehicles so it fits in well with the current livery, and with a good attention to detail, buses in Tiger Blue or Arriva livery have blue stickers.
Orange notices have also been added to the interior apologising if the bus 'isn't up to scratch'. Alex Hornby (@alextransdev) / Twitter
Our honest message to customers whilst we work hard to make things better. This is being placed on every
@TeamPennine bus.
Some vehicles have also gone to Thorntons Bus for refurbishment which includes three Tempo's and two Solos.
Alex Hornby on Twitter
It’s all happening. 1 of 3 Tempos are off for heavy refit and refurb this morning with our friends
@ThorntonsBus. They’ll be back on a new-look, relaunched route in September. Watch this space!
Alex Hornby on Twitter
We said there was plenty happening! It’s the same at Elland too. Even more buses are off for some tender care and attention to make them better for our colleagues and customers.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'm not so sure about the 'they're going to make me better' mantra. It sounds a bit like the bus is suffering from a horrible fever and needs some painkillers and some time in bed!

Otherwise though I quite like the new branding and the usual Transdev efforts to keeping the public well-informed is welcome.

RustySpoons

It will be interesting to see if the passengers all make the switch to the pink or if they stick with the blue. I take it a lot of people have been demanding such an increase?

I guess a lot of it would depend if passengers need to make onward connections via bus. They'll likely stick with the operator that can provide them.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm not so sure about the 'they're going to make me better' mantra. It sounds a bit like the bus is suffering from a horrible fever and needs some painkillers and some time in bed!
Quite a few of the Tiger buses give that impression.

cnjb8

Established Member

Otherwise though I quite like the new branding and the usual Transdev efforts to keeping the public well-informed is welcome.
They deserve it!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Now that Yorkshire Tiger has been assimilated into Transdev, I see little point in continuing this as a separate thread. There has already been a bit of overlap between this and the main Transdev Blazefield thread and it's best to avoid the situation where we have separate discussions on the same topic in two different places! With that in mind, Yorkshire Tiger services shall terminate here. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.