• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

Inspired by the the ‘Things you don’t see outside any more’ thread, clues about getting older seem to be many and various. Such things strike me more and more since I recently qualified for my first Senior Railcard. Anyway, I thought I’d start off with the following:
-Sitting down in an armchair and saying ‘Aaahhhhhhh’ with great satisfaction.
- Watching a TV advert and you don’t have the foggiest what service or product is being advertised and for that matter who the possible celebrity presenting the advert is.
- Travelling on a train and it still doesn’t feel right that you are travelling without a proper cardboard ticket

Any other examples are welcome!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
If you pause for a moment while walking, people ask if you are all right.

People who look no older than you feel offering you their seats on a crowded bus. Not that this happens often nowadays and not just because buses aren’t so crowded at the moment, although it sometimes happens at the bus stop.

Being asked to show my Senior Railcard or ENCTS pass. This has been happening since my mid-fifties, which shows you where twenty-five years of dissolute living gets you.

gg1

Established Member
When getting a full 8 hours sleep without having to get up to go the loo is a once in a blue moon event.

S&CLER

When I was 11 in 1959 I saw the liner Windsor Castle launched at Birkenhead; In the 1970s, I read a newspaper article which said that "the old liner Windsor Castle" was being scrapped. I felt "it can't be that old if I saw it launched".

Ostrich

... when people start asking you "have you got the App?" and you have no idea what they're referring to ..... :s

TheBigD

Established Member
...most of your mail is for either funeral plans or equity release. I'm only 50 for God's sake!

duncanp

Established Member
  • When you start agreeing with Victor Meldrew
  • Moaning at loud music, or loud anything in fact
  • When you start a sentence with "...I can remember when...."
  • When you start a sentence with "...when I was your age...."
  • You weigh yourself in stones and pounds rather than kilograms
  • You can remember steam trains in normal service on British Rail
  • You can remember pounds, shillings and pence
  • qualifying for any age related benefits (eg senior railcard)

Bertone

When you kneel down to get something and wonder if there is anything else you can do while you’re in that position:lol:

brad465

Established Member
Talented Sports stars are younger than you, and I imagine a bit further down the line the same can be said for prominent politicians.

dgl

Established Member
When "sorry for your loss" cards are brought in bulk!

Acey

When your shoelace coming undone is a traumatic event !

The exile

Established Member
In the early days of COVID I was horrified to be ushered past the queue at the supermarket 15 minutes before the end of the special hour for the elderly and vulnerable - I was only 52 at the time!

On Moderation
When you can remember watching experienced football managers as players. For example I can remember Carlo Ancelotti playing for AC Milan.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Watching a TV advert and you don’t have the foggiest what service or product is being advertised
That happened when I was younger too. My sister in law was all excited her employer was launching a new TV ad. We all had to watch. When it ended I had to ask what the connection with her firm was it was not at all obvious. Admittedly it is much more prevalent today but I'm not sure that is age related, more a case of advertising companies imagining they know more about the product than the company itself.

Stopping on the stairway half landing and being unable to remember if you are going up or down.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Going upstairs or downstairs to get something and returning with several items...but not what you originally went to collect. However, you usually collected it earlier anyway.

Seeing abbreviations of phrases that are in common use in the paper and having no idea what they mean. And still being none the wiser once you have had them explained or looked them up.

ChrisC

Established Member
Yesterday I went into my local Co op just to get some milk as that’s all I really needed. Came out with tomatoes, lettuce, strawberries and ice cream but no milk.

A Challenge

Established Member
...most of your mail is for either funeral plans or equity release. I'm only 50 for God's sake!
I get a lot of post containing medical insurance or similar adverts, they seem to be sent out with free to members magazines and that is a significant proportion of my post - I'm definitely not old as well!

dgl

Established Member
Also when items in the catalogues you get with some TV magazines start to look appealing, though imagine my shock when I was looking through my Gran's Chums catalogue/flyer and saw it had an adult section o_O

Gloster

Established Member
Also when items in the catalogues you get with some TV magazines start to look appealing, though imagine my shock when I was looking through my Gran's Chums catalogue/flyer and saw it had an adult section o_O

When you do a double-take after reading something like the above. I had never heard of the clothing company called Chums until I looked it up, but I remember seeing copies of a boys’ magazine that ceased publication in 1941, particularly its annuals or odd cartoons. That was before even my time.

When you start to take an interest in antiques programmes on TV. The pinnacle of a certain age is when a vintage household item from the 1950s or 60s is featured and you say ‘Oh we had one of those’.