• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

nw1

Established Member
When you wonder if Frankie Vaughan ever found out what was happening behind the green door.

You're certainly getting older if you remember that version rather than the Shakin' Stevens one!
;)

Mind you even remembering the latter is enough to make you old these days.

Maybe some of us need a new thread "You know you are old when...."

I was just reminded of this old film marking the last days of Sheffield trams in 1961. I lived further north in those days but note new buildings going up in the 1961 film. I worked in one of them from 1983, it may be to let in the film. It was demolished and replaced about 10 years ago so barely lasted 50 years. See;

It gets worse. The Central Sheffield Fire Station was relocated, possibly late 70s? It can't have lasted 20 years before it went.

Reminds me of the Kinks' "Come Dancing", in which the car park replaced the bowling alley, which replaced the "Pally".

I guess nowadays even the car park has been replaced.

Talking of which, you know you're getting old when a class of train that you remember being introduced is withdrawn, and that class doesn't have a disproportionately short life (so I'm discounting the 365s and 442s).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
Good news, bad news.

Had a bone scan and everything's perfect, which is good news as my dad endured a broken hip so glad I'm sound. bad news, I had to have a blood test and it's getting harder for the nurse to find a suitable vein (just like the old girl). That is deffo a sign of aging, me wanting to keep my blood to myself!!

Gloster

Established Member
The great fun with blood tests is trying to make sure that you take in enough liquid for the blood to run, but not so much that you have to run on the way home after the test.

birchesgreen

Established Member
They had to use a butterfly needle on me to get blood as my veins close up with normal needles or something, something discovered after much trial and error. Unpleasant enough for me but a nightmare horror for my needle phobic wife to watch it. :lol:

Howardh

Established Member
The great fun with blood tests is trying to make sure that you take in enough liquid for the blood to run, but not so much that you have to run on the way home after the test.
Yes, I was asked how much liquid do I take?

With my postrate issues, my intake is directly linked to how easy it is to outtake. So while I would love to have more tea, coffee, water and diet cola, not to mention ale, I have other considerations to consider!!! But lesson learned, I'll drink much more in the days before my next test.

They had to use a butterfly needle on me to get blood as my veins close up with normal needles or something, something discovered after much trial and error. Unpleasant enough for me but a nightmare horror for my needle phobic wife to watch it. :lol:
Oh yes, I cannot totally watch a needle being put into any part of me, it's just a faint waiting to happen.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
On the subject of blood tests, some years ago whist in hospital recovering from an operation, bloods were required to be taken. After a number of unsuccessful attempts in either arm, a young doctor came with some gel and found a deep-seated vein by the ultrasound method.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
You're certainly getting older if you remember that version rather than the Shakin' Stevens one!
;)

Mind you even remembering the latter is enough to make you old these days.

Reminds me of the Kinks' "Come Dancing", in which the car park replaced the bowling alley, which replaced the "Pally".

I guess nowadays even the car park has been replaced.

Talking of which, you know you're getting old when a class of train that you remember being introduced is withdrawn, and that class doesn't have a disproportionately short life (so I'm discounting the 365s and 442s).
Almost definitely with flats if it is anything like Croydon.
Oh yes its a fine balance.
Ah. That explains my latest experience. Looked like a butterfly valve. No wonder they have put me on blood thinners !. Well really its the large clot in my right leg apparently. So there is even more proof that I am not indestructible.