• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

Calthrop

Established Member
To make you even older. Not only don't I remember it as I wasn't born in 1971, but you'd have to add my age to my oldest child's age for me to have been born by the time that it happened, let alone remember it (which would require a further few more years to be added).

Now whilst I was alive when the Deltics were finally withdrawn from BR services I would have been too young to remember them even if I went on one.

Sorry to all those who now feel a lot older having read this post.
Cheer up...I was born in 1945.
I'm truly weird on this point. I was born in 1948 (August of that year): being a great one for rail nostalgia, I strongly wish that my parents had got round to having me just a little bit sooner; so that I could say, and have the knowledge, that I'd been alive and in the world before 1/1/1948, in the era of the Big Four. Am aware that rationally, this makes no sense -- an infant a few months old, or less, is totally unaware of such things; but "per gut" as distinct from "per head", it bugs me a little.

ETA: the forums' quoting mechanism drives me mad -- the slightest mis-step is liable to bring chaos. After @The Ham's quoted post: I was trying to quote @Xenophon PCDGS's response, "Cheer up...I was born in 1945." -- but something seems to have gone wrong, and that quote doesn't seem to be showing as and where it was meant to. Or does it show after all? -- AAAAUUGHHH !!! Perhaps I should wish rather, to have been born in the Middle Ages: might have coped better with technology as of then.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
You are certainly getting old if you can remember Horace Batchelor (from Keynsham, spelt K - E - Y - N - S - H - A - M).

Dai Corner

Established Member
Years ago I kept the glass dial from my grandparents’ old radiogram. It still sits on a shelf at home amongst plenty of other clutter.
I don't think radio wavelengths were ever expressed in feet or yards. Perhaps they were the first everyday use of metric units in the UK? The only other contender I can think of is cubic centimetres for car engine cylinder capacity.

Edit: also the electrical units like volts, amps, watts.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
You know you are getting older when you start opening new threads on this website and putting them in the wrong section...:oops:

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Listening to the "Have a go, Joe" programme with Wilfrid Pickles and of course, Mabel and the table.

Listening to "Workers Playtime"

Last edited:

Pinza-C55

If you remember when Rolf Harris guesting on Jim'll Fix It was the pinnacle of good clean family entertainment.

Dai Corner

Established Member
When you're older than the Prime Minister. I think this happened to me when David Cameron came to power.

D6968

If you remember when Rolf Harris guesting on Jim'll Fix It was the pinnacle of good clean family entertainment.
Have you seen the clip on the Netflix documentary with him and Gary Glitter together?
Chilling.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
When you hear that the Channel Tunnel is thirty years old (Especially when you remember it being proposed and built !).

nw1

Established Member
When you're older than the Prime Minister. I think this happened to me when David Cameron came to power.

A pertinent one for today.

Depending on who becomes Prime Minister, this could happen to a significant tranche of the population for the first time in the coming months.

That will really make me feel old. Another reason for me to prefer Hunt and May as the least-worst candidates. ;)

To be fair, Kylie Minogue is older than Jacob Rees-Mogg!

Nah, Rees-Mogg's birthdate on Wikipedia has a typo. He was actually born in 1869. ;)

…….when you’ve had 13 Prime Ministers during your lifetime and waiting to add No14.

Jon_jpwh

…….when you’ve had 13 Prime Ministers during your lifetime and waiting to add No14.
15 Prime Ministers for me. That's counting Wilson once, although he served two terms with Heath in the middle.

This happened to me with Blair

nw1

Established Member
15 Prime Ministers for me. That's counting Wilson once, although he served two terms with Heath in the middle.

Not quite that many but racking them up now. Have had both Wilson and Heath, but remember neither. Thatcher was the first one I remember in any detail.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I think i'm on about 10 though i don't remember the first 2 (Heath and Wilson) and only barely remember Callaghan.

PeterY

Established Member
Harold McMillan was in charge when I was born, not that I recall. :D:D:D

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Harold McMillan was in charge when I was born, not that I recall. :D:D:D
He came to Eltham to make a speech on a soap box at the 1959 General Election: Saturday afternoon, I think, and I was certainly there with my parents.

Worm

When you’re older than your college teachers.

Seriously I have a student twice my age.

D6968

When Railway Mag’s put out a 125th anniversary special and you can remember the 100th anniversary special.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
When your surgery rings to say their newly appointed GP Dr Prescott wants to have a telephone consultation with you next week, you reply ''I wondered what John was doing these days'', the receptionist says ''that's not her name!'' and you realise the attempted joke has gone down like a lead balloon.