• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

Indeed, I can't get my head around that sort of thing at all. 1980 still seems "modern" (ish) to me, 1940 seems like the deep, deep past (perhaps just as well given what was going on then).

In a similar way it's hard to get my head round the fact that many of the 4SUBs, in their final months of service when I first started using the railways regularly (I think I saw one in service from a distance, and more going ECS to possibly Eastleigh on withdrawal) were less old then than the 455s or 150s are now!

If we move on another 10 years to 1990 (which really does seem modern - hey, the ECML was electrified!) it's equally strange to think that going back the same number of years gets us to 1958.

And of course, talking this way in itself is another sure sign of getting old. ;)

I don't think I'd go as far as saying 'the deep, deep past' -- my parents were around in 1940, and old enough to remember it, and are still around now -- but 1940 certainly seems like another era from the one that contains both 1980 and now. And (apart from ECML electrification not being completed to Edinburgh until 1991) I agree with the rest of what you say.

To be fair, on the railways at least I think there probably genuinely was more change in the 10 or 20 years before you and I were born than in any comparable persiod, earlier or later, since about 1850. And some argue that many Southern slam-door units were already old-fashioned when built, and so would feel old -- certainly a 4-SUB seems much less modern than 1938 tube stock.

In 2015, when it was the centenary of whatever happened in WWI in 1915 (Gallipoli, I think) and the bicentenary of the battle of Waterloo, I remember finding it strange that 1915 (practically Victorian) was only twice as far away as 1965 (only a few years before I was born and therefore quite recent); but 'zooming out', I also found it strange that 1815 was only twice as far away as 1915. It doesn't seem that long since I remember talking to people who were of an age to remember 1915, and although some things that we take for granted had not yet been invented/discovered then (e.g. computers or antibiotics), much modern technology in transport, communications, medicine, etc. already existed (albeit in some cases, like aeroplanes, only in primitive form); whereas in 1815 although stationary steam engines were fairly well established, powered transport was in its infancy, telecommunications were limited to a few optical telegraph routes, and anaesthetics and germ theory were still in the future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelayRepay

Established Member
Inspired by this thread

I feel old when I remember that a foreign trip often involved obtaining Travellers Cheques, because our cards weren't as widely accepted overseas as they are now. In my very first job in banking I was in charge the travellers cheques - we used to sell loads of them. I also remember the days before the Euro, when we kept stock of various European banknotes. Life became much easier when our range reduced to Euro, US Dollar and Swiss Francs.

That bank is now a hairdressers!

Bayum

Established Member
I use a comprehension about the 2012 London Olympics. My first year, the children were old enough to remember it/go to some of the events. The last two years worth of children have no recollection as they were either just babies or weren’t even thought of!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Why did the BBC remove John Snagge from their Boat Race coverage? Was it to curry favour with Nadine Dorries? ;)

D6968

When you see a celebrity you used to fancy when you were younger and you now think ‘Why on earth did I declare my love for you on my pencil case at school?
Although I have a feeling I wouldn’t be top of my teenage crush’s fantasy list either.
However if Ms Whiley or Ms Laverne are free one night in the future and a slightly greying chubby toyboy from the midlands intrested in transport is your thing… :D

Calthrop

Established Member
In 2015, when it was the centenary of whatever happened in WWI in 1915 (Gallipoli, I think) and the bicentenary of the battle of Waterloo, I remember finding it strange that 1915 (practically Victorian) was only twice as far away as 1965 (only a few years before I was born and therefore quite recent); but 'zooming out', I also found it strange that 1815 was only twice as far away as 1915. It doesn't seem that long since I remember talking to people who were of an age to remember 1915, and although some things that we take for granted had not yet been invented/discovered then (e.g. computers or antibiotics), much modern technology in transport, communications, medicine, etc. already existed (albeit in some cases, like aeroplanes, only in primitive form); whereas in 1815 although stationary steam engines were fairly well established, powered transport was in its infancy, telecommunications were limited to a few optical telegraph routes, and anaesthetics and germ theory were still in the future.

There have been some interesting musings along these general lines, in the thread on the Railway History and Nostalgia sub-forum The Liverpool & Manchester Railway and an interesting Queen Elizabeth fact; commenced on 25 / 11 / 2021.

birchesgreen

Established Member
When you see a celebrity you used to fancy when you were younger and you now think ‘Why on earth did I declare my love for you on my pencil case at school?
Its even worse when you read the news of the death of your teenage crush!

Thats something i notice i do a lot of now when i read of celebrity deaths "Blimey he was only 10 years older than me..." :o

Gloster

Established Member
When you read the posts of some of the people who ask for help in the Disputes & Prosecutions section and wonder how on earth they got a degree (or even a Master’s). With many of them the spelling is bad and the grammar, particularly use of tenses and punctuation, is abysmal. ‘In my day’ they wouldn’t even have been accepted by a university.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When you read the posts of some of the people who ask for help in the Disputes & Prosecutions section and wonder how on earth they got a degree (or even a Master’s). With many of them the spelling is bad and the grammar, particularly use of tenses and punctuation, is abysmal. ‘In my day’ they wouldn’t even have been accepted by a university.
It’s usually “uni” nowadays, the real word is too difficult…

nw1

Established Member
Although I have a feeling I wouldn’t be top of my teenage crush’s fantasy list either.
However if Ms Whiley or Ms Laverne are free one night in the future and a slightly greying chubby toyboy from the midlands intrested in transport is your thing… :D

Similarly: when celebrities you used to have the hots for are getting close to pensionable age.

Thats something i notice i do a lot of now when i read of celebrity deaths "Blimey he was only 10 years older than me..." :o
Mind you I guess we did lose quite a few at an unusually young age relatively recently, which might skew things. Michael Jackson, Prince, George Michael for instance.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I blame Neighbours for this. And Yute for utility vehicle etc…. Soaps have a lot to answer for! :rolleyes:
It's "Ute"... and Australians were calling their pick up trucks that way for years before Neighbours came along; I think the scripts were simply reflecting real life Australian language. ( I have relatives in Australia... )

When you start organising your work shed properly and sorting different sizes of screws, nails, washers, paint pots, tools etc and putting them all into some sort of order.
Putting labels on things is a much more serious symptom.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Using bars of soap seems to be an older person's thing, younger people i know all seem to use those liquid soaps that they have, which cost a lot more than my bar of Wrights which lasts months (and yes i use it every day!)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
You know you are getting older, when people look puzzled when you refer to a soap they have never heard of!
Carefully chosen, I'll have you know, in my part-time role as product placement influencer. Someone will probably have to start production of this again when this all goes viral. :D

Killingworth

Established Member
When you've scrolled through 7 pages of this, constantly mumbling 'so true', and thinking of what to add, and having got to the end can't remember.

Now musing how on my grandmother's 94th birthday she said "everything's going too fast." I thought she meant cars, planes, trains. No, the last year had gone too fast - I understand that feeling now.

What was I supposed to be doing when I looked in here? Papers all over the desk, books and magazines in heaps to read, half complete projects in garage and basement. Granny used to say "procrastination is the thief of time" I plead guilty! Just done it again haven't I?

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Using bars of soap seems to be an older person's thing, younger people i know all seem to use those liquid soaps that they have, which cost a lot more than my bar of Wrights which lasts months (and yes i use it every day!)
I still use Wright's soap. It makes the bathroom smell nice too!

Bevan Price

Established Member
It's got to be Imperial Leather or Wright's Coal Tar
I think that Imperial Leather is still available, or was within the last 5 years when I bought some - in fact I think I still have an unused bar in the bathroom.