• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

AM9

Veteran Member
I think that Imperial Leather is still available, or was within the last 5 years when I bought some - in fact I think I still have an unused bar in the bathroom.
I still use it, especially to prep. for shaving, - my wife prefers liquid soap such as Molton Brown but there's so much moisturising dditive in these expensive soaps that they often just slip right off wet hands, (maybe that's the plane so that customers use more). :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I vaguely remember Camay adverts from when I was a kid, and it does still appear to be in production, as is Lux, Pears and Lifebuoy. Lifebuoy seems to have made a comeback - I've seen adverts for it recently.

It has been mentioned previously on the forum, but I suppose remembering the little green bars of Palmolive soap in trains is a sign of age. :s

contrex

I used to love the testcard as a kid, and the music. Years later i bought a few CDs of testcard music, very nostalgic for when i was used to be sat at my Nan's house in my Hai Karate pjyamas waiting for TV to start up, Paint Along With Nancy was usually the first show... mesmerised by a woman doing a painting of a pot plant using a butter knife.

Arn't sweet ciggies still available but under a different name?
Having been made redundant as an electronics technician, I used to repair colour TVs in the 1980s, on a freelance basis, cash in hand. Also buy ex-rental sets and sell them on. Lacking the money for a crosshatch generator, I found setting up the convergence on delta gun CRTs much easier when a test card was being displayed. As well as BBC2, there was the period before Channel 4 started broadcasts, an ITV strike, etc. Then I was given a Sinclair QL computer and programmed it to display various patterns, colour bars, etc. Later also a cheap old Betamax VCR to play a recorded test card.

AM9

Veteran Member
Having been made redundant as an electronics technician, I used to repair colour TVs in the 1980s, on a freelance basis, cash in hand. Also buy ex-rental sets and sell them on. Lacking the money for a crosshatch generator, I found setting up the convergence on delta gun CRTs much easier when a test card was being displayed. As well as BBC2, there was the period before Channel 4 started broadcasts, an ITV strike, etc. Then I was given a Sinclair QL computer and programmed it to display various patterns, colour bars, etc. Later also a cheap old Betamax VCR to play a recorded test card.
The testcard had many tricks up it's sleeve in terms of setup including chroma and luma levels, saturation, bandwidth, geometry and overscan (important with CRTs), and many other more subtle transmission and reception fault detection aids.

contrex

The testcard had many tricks up it's sleeve in terms of setup including chroma and luma levels, saturation, bandwidth, geometry and overscan (important with CRTs), and many other more subtle transmission and reception fault detection aids.
Yes, indeedy. On the BBC testcard, the chalk 'x' on the blackboard was good for getting the static convergence right first. Plus all the things you mention.

317 forever

Established Member
Here's another one.

When the first year on Pick of the Pops (Radio 2, Paul Gambaccini, Saturday 13:00 - basically old top 20s) is within your teenage years.

They have two charts, one per hour, separated by 10-20 years typically. The first hour is the oldest chart.

It really seems not long ago at all, perhaps only 5 years, when the first year was usually either before I was born or in the first few years of my life, and the second year within either my teens or early 20s, so it looks like there has been a change of policy with what years are selected, rather than it just being the passage of time.
I feel old now when even the earlier year on Pick of the Pops is from when my liking of music in quantity was beginning to fade.

You can't be bothered to respond to some of the tripe on these forums!
Or we remember many years when such forums did not even exist.

It’s usually “uni” nowadays, the real word is too difficult…
It does appeal to my sense of humour when graduates can't even spell University :lol:

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Or we remember many years when such forums did not even exist.

It does appeal to my sense of humour when graduates can't even spell University :lol:
You mean like, when people used to go into pubs and talk to real people. o_O I remember talking to people, sometimes strangers even, at the bus stop. Rarely are there any other passengers waiting now but I can always talk to myself instead and pretend I'm on a hands-free if anyone looks. :D

I went to a 'poly', how ancient is that!

nw1

Established Member
I feel old now when even the earlier year on Pick of the Pops is from when my liking of music in quantity was beginning to fade.
After POTP today I feel rather younger, by contrast. A sixties/eighties combo, so the first year was well before my earliest musical memories (though I have picked up on the vast majority of the songs since), and in the second year I was still at school.

Last edited:

317 forever

Established Member
After POTP today I feel rather younger, by contrast. A sixties/eighties combo, so the first year was well before my earliest musical memories (though I have picked up on the vast majority of the songs since), and in the second year I was still at school.
If anything, today was a big exception having a 60s year again. It's once the earliest year is well into the 80s that the show feels old.

Bertone

………when you think that Alesha Dixon’s dress sense is somewhat inappropriate most of the time on Saturday night “prime time” TV :rolleyes:

Yes, OK, I appreciate I could watch other channels!

nw1

Established Member
If anything, today was a big exception having a 60s year again. It's once the earliest year is well into the 80s that the show feels old.

Happened on one other occasion recently too. Throughout most of the 2010s that was the pattern, first year was generally about 1964-79 and second year about 1977-94 (so the late 70s could appear as either the first or second year). Nowadays sometimes the 2nd year is (very early) 21st century!

As I like 80s music (and quite a bit of 60s, 70s and 90s) there's always something in there for me, so it's still a regular listen.

philthetube

Established Member
The park drive book of football, this is not the cause of many, (not happening any more issues)

you used to be able to send off for it free if you collected empty packets, 20 40's, 40 10's or 80 5's

we used to comb the streets as 8 year olds looking for empty fag packets to send off.

Now no 8 year olds combing the streets, no 5's fag packets, not sure if there are any park drive.

With the book you used to get a letter addressed to "Dear Park Drive Smoker", imagine the grief now if they sent that to 8 year olds.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The park drive book of football.
How many issues were there of this? Have heard of them, but never actually seen one. A precursor presumably to the Rothmans football yearbooks, which were also sponsored by a tobacco company, but had to be paid for.

Late 1960's era for the Park Drive ones?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
How many issues were there of this? Have heard of them, but never actually seen one. A precursor presumably to the Rothmans football yearbooks, which were also sponsored by a tobacco company, but had to be paid for.

Park Drive were a Gallaher brand. and the latter acquired Benson and Hedges in 1955. B&H were certainly in the sport yearbook market (I rated the cricket ones very highly) but I've no idea if a football one was ever produced by them.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Park Drive were a Gallaher brand. and the latter acquired Benson and Hedges in 1955. B&H were certainly in the sport yearbook market (I rated the cricket ones very highly) but I've no idea if a football one was ever produced by them.
Think Benson and Hedges were also associated with a couple of horse racing books in the 1970s/1980s.

The only Benson and Hedges football "connection" I can think of was when fictitious England manager Mike Bassett (Ricky Tomlinson) inadvertently selected a couple of lower division journeymen players named Benson and Hedges after scribbling down a team selection on the back of a cigarette packet. ;)

Killingworth

Established Member
When visiting Bridgnorth on the Severn Valley Railway and recalling buying stamps by sending postal orders to the Bridgnorth Stamp Club, then remembering having a lapel badge on the school blazer to show loyalty, along with different coloured badges for all the BR regions.

Knowing that although your expiry date might expire within twenty years, you’d rather grown up when you did than the prospect of being a youngster now.

nw1

Established Member
You remember Snickers bars being called Marathon

Yes. And for quite a long time too. I think it was still Marathon into the early 90s.

Knowing that although your expiry date might expire within twenty years, you’d rather grown up when you did than the prospect of being a youngster now.

Would agree with that. And especially in the early 2020s, which I'm sure most would agree is probably the worst period people of any age have lived through for quite some time...

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yes. And for quite a long time too. I think it was still Marathon into the early 90s.
Yep. 1990. "Snickers" was the Mars Inc. global brand name, and was supposedly named after the Mars family's favourite horse back in the 1930s.

nw1

Established Member
Yep. 1990. "Snickers" was the Mars Inc. global brand name, and was supposedly named after the Mars family's favourite horse back in the 1930s.

Ah right, a little earlier than I thought, I'd have guessed 1991 or 1992. I do remember "Snickers" was used in the continent in the 80s, I remember seeing it in Germany in 1986/87. I can see why there was reluctance to use the word in the UK though.

On a similar note Opal Fruits became Starburst (also the international name, and another name I think I saw on the continent in the 80s). This was definitely later (EDIT - just checked - 1998), I distinctly remember consuming vast quantities of Opal Fruits in 1992. And I'm sure the taste deteriorated when it changed name...

(Though I see from Wikipedia that unlike Marathon, Opal Fruits was actually the original name).

AM9

Veteran Member
Ah right, a little earlier than I thought, I'd have guessed 1991 or 1992. I do remember "Snickers" was used in the continent in the 80s, I remember seeing it in Germany in 1986/87. I can see why there was reluctance to use the word in the UK though.

On a similar note Opal Fruits became Starburst (also the international name, and another name I think I saw on the continent in the 80s). This was definitely later (EDIT - just checked - 1998), I distinctly remember consuming vast quantities of Opal Fruits in 1992. And I'm sure the taste deteriorated when it changed name...

(Though I see from Wikipedia that unlike Marathon, Opal Fruits was actually the original name).
Then there's 'Cif' the bathroom cleaner, called 'Jif' until 2000 'ish. However, it is called 'Vim' in some countries, but in the UK 'Vim' was something like 'Ajax'.

philthetube

Established Member

late 60's, no idea how many issues but some available on ebay.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Using bars of soap seems to be an older person's thing, younger people i know all seem to use those liquid soaps that they have, which cost a lot more than my bar of Wrights which lasts months (and yes i use it every day!)
I'm not an 'older person' but I use bars of soap.

I used to use liquid soap, but switched to bars when we had all the Covid panic buying and there was no liquid soap left in the shops. I am amazed at how long a bar lasts compared to a bottle of liquid, it works out much cheaper so I won't be going back (and it also avoids the need to produce a wasteful plastic bottle).

AM9

Veteran Member
I'm not an 'older person' but I use bars of soap.

I used to use liquid soap, but switched to bars when we had all the Covid panic buying and there was no liquid soap left in the shops. I am amazed at how long a bar lasts compared to a bottle of liquid, it works out much cheaper so I won't be going back (and it also avoids the need to produce a wasteful plastic bottle).
We've been saving on Carex liquid soap by refilling the 250ml dispensers from 5 or 10l bottles bought from Costco. I works out at less than half price, (but still not as cheap as tablet soap).

Ashley Hill

Established Member
On a similar note Opal Fruits became Starburst (also the international name, and another name I think I saw on the continent in the 80s). This was definitely later (EDIT - just checked - 1998), I distinctly remember consuming vast quantities of Opal Fruits in 1992. And I'm sure the taste deteriorated when it changed name
Opal Fruits are currently being sold in Poundland!
Then there’s Oil of Ulay/Oil of Olay. Not a product I’ve ever used though.

Dai Corner

Established Member
When you can remember buying a newspaper to read yesterday's news during your bus or train journey.