• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your best model rolling stock suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Hello :)
Some people may be wanting to get Christmas shopping done sooner rather than later due to uncertainty surrounding the current situation and how easily shopping may be (either in person or online if everyone starts buying online at the same time) - I know I am to a certain extent - and so I thought I might make a thread for people to share model railway rolling stock they'd recommend to other people. In fact, it may well be useful for people to share engines or rolling stock which they've bought and found to be rubbish so people know to avoid them.
This doesn't necessarily have to be restricted to Christmas; this thread could be quite a good place for people to share good rolling stock they've bought/received throughout the year.

To begin then:

Engines I'd recommend
  • Hornby Railroad A4. I've got a Railroad 'Mallard' from around five years ago and after running it today I've realised how well it runs. Really smooth, quiet, and looks the part. Yes, it's the Railroad one, so it's not as good as the full-detail one, but to be honest I've not spent enough time around the 'proper' Hornby one or the real thing to notice what's missing and what's not. Mine cost ~£100 in 2015 and Hattons will sell you a TTS fitted one for £116: https://www.hattons.co.uk/164428/ho...s_sound_fitted_railroad_rang/stockdetail.aspx
    I do have a TTS decoder for mine but found it tricky to fit so if you like sound in your engines and are either constricted by budget or just like the TTS decoders, this is a good loco to go for.
  • Bachmann Class 47. I've got 47164, which came in the 25th Anniversary Train Pack (code 25-2014) with a 'Jubilee' (no. 45552 Silver Jubilee I believe). Hattons don't currently sell this one, but Olivia's Trains do for £250, which is the RRP for the product. Mine definitely wasn't £250 as I think Hattons had lots to get rid of a couple of years ago! Here's a link to it on Olivia's Trains, but I'd recommend searching around. Rails of Sheffield apparently once sold it for £190 (according to their site) and I'd say that's more reasonable. The Class 47 is a lovely runner, and will work over almost any condition track I've put it on. I expect all Bachmann 47s are like this, so don't feel limited to this one pack for a good runner.
Unit I'd not recommend
  • Hornby Class 423 4-VEP. This model is such a weirdly-built one it's hard to understand what Hornby were thinking. The main issue for me, and a lot of other people, were the couplings at the ends of the unit; They aren't bogie mounted and stop the bogie from moving around as freely as it should, thus causing the unit to derail on pretty much every curve. The connections between each carriage of the unit are really quite delicate as well; through picking the cars up I've managed to break the wiring connections between the cars so the end lights only work at one end and the interior lights only work in one carriage. This seems to be a problem affecting many owners of the Hornby 423 so I'd steer clear of it, especially if it's more than £150ish and you don't have the time nor want to fix it.

I hope this is somewhat interesting and useful. Please do share your recommendations; they'd be very interesting to read.

-Peter :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
A great idea for a thread :) I always watch online review videos before buying now so that I know what to expect and which models to avoid.

Engines I'd highly recommend:

Bachmann Class 37 (Sound)- I've one sound, one normal and they are both models of the absolute highest quality, detail and the running characteristics are the best I've come across.
Bachmann Class 20 (Sound)- this is the (current) latest model from the Whiskies Galore set and it's to the same standard as above. The only thing that makes the 37 better is it has lighting whereas the 20 doesn't.

The above are my top two, but I also highly commend: Bachmann 47 both sound and non-sound, Bachmann Jinty, Hornby Railroad Black 5 (excellent running qualities, lack of detail can be covered by weathering, good value), Hornby K1 (going pretty cheap in places) and the Bachmann 101 DMU which I picked up 2nd hand but it's an amazing runner.

Engines I wouldn't recommend:

Bachmann Standard Class 4 Tank locomotive. This one was a real shame for me as it's a beautiful model with great detail and it's one of my favourite steam locomotives in real life. Unfortunately, the model really did not like points and my layout is points heavy, so it was as much use as a chocolate fireguard to me, so I sold it.
Older Bachmann Class 20 Sound- Overall a nice model, but it had exceptionally ugly, crude transparent plastic and oversized window wipers that I just couldn't abide. Unfortunately, they are located in a prominent position on the locomotive so I couldn't not notice them. Luckily, I managed to get more than what I paid for it when I sold it :)

I've got some new arrivals over the next couple of weeks so I may post an update, later on.

Last edited:

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
A great idea for a thread :) I always watch online review videos before buying now so that I know what to expect and which models to avoid.

Engines I'd highly recommend:

Bachmann Class 37 (Sound)- I've one sound, one normal and they are both models of the absolute highest quality, detail and the running characteristics are the best I've come across.
Bachmann Class 20 (Sound)- this is the (current) latest model from the Whiskies Galore set and it's to the same standard as above. The only thing that makes the 37 better is it has lighting whereas the 20 doesn't.

The above are my top two, but I also highly commend: Bachmann 47 both sound and non-sound, Bachmann Jinty, Hornby Railroad Black 5 (excellent running qualities, lack of detail can be covered by weathering, good value), Hornby K1 (going pretty cheap in places) and the Bachmann 101 DMU which I picked up 2nd hand but it's an amazing runner.

Engines I wouldn't recommend:

Bachmann Standard Class 4 Tank locomotive. This one was a real shame for me as it's a beautiful model with great detail and it's one of my favourite steam locomotives in real life. Unfortunately, the model really did not like points and my layout is points heavy, so it was as much use as a chocolate fireguard to me, so I sold it.
Older Bachmann Class 20 Sound- Overall a nice model, but it had exceptionally ugly, crude and oversized window wipers that I just couldn't abide. Unfortunately, they are located in a prominent position on the locomotive so I couldn't not notice them. Luckily, I managed to get more than what I paid for it when I sold it :)

I've got some new arrivals over the next couple of weeks so I may post an update, later on.

I second the Bachmann sound fitted 37. I got the Europhoenix version a couple of years ago for Christmas, and it really is a stunning model. Still as good as new if you look after it properly and runs faultlessly.

I’d also recommend the Bachmann 66. Another brilliant looking model that also runs flawlessly. Not as heavy or quite as detailed as the Hatton’s version, but on balance the quality issues the Hatton’s model has had mean the Bachmann version is still the one to go for.

Lastly it’s the Dapol 68 for me. A superbly detailed model that is probably the best runner I have, and looks great in the DRS livery. The TPE version also looks great and will go well with the forthcoming Accurascale Mk5A coaching stock (maybe next Christmas? :D).

Iskra

Established Member
I second the Bachmann sound fitted 37. I got the Europhoenix version a couple of years ago for Christmas, and it really is a stunning model. Still as good as new if you look after it properly and runs faultlessly.

I’d also recommend the Bachmann 66. Another brilliant looking model that also runs flawlessly. Not as heavy or quite as detailed as the Hatton’s version, but on balance the quality issues the Hatton’s model has had mean the Bachmann version is still the one to go for.

Lastly it’s the Dapol 68 for me. A superbly detailed model that is probably the best runner I have, and looks great in the DRS livery. The TPE version also looks great and will go well with the forthcoming Accurascale Mk5A coaching stock (maybe next Christmas? :D).

Yes, I totally agree. The Europhoenix livery looks stunning on the model too, but is sadly too modern for me as the latest I can believable run would be the early 2000s.

I've just invested in a Bachmann EWS 66 Sound, I'm glad you rate it but I haven't got it out of the box yet. The Hornby 66 also looks decent for the budget modeller and can be both bought and fitted with sound very cheaply, so I may try one of those in the future too.

The 68 is another one that looks great and good value, but again it's a bit too modern for me to justify.

Established Member

Glad to see the positive reviews for the 37. I have asked for a DRS compass one for Christmas.

I have to agree with the 68 being a top quality model and the price is quite reasonable when you look at other locos. My only problem is the coupling be a bit low on the DRS 68008 but on the TPE one this has been rectified. Still not decided about the Mk5's yet as the sleeper ones are tempting as well.

Some thoughts about my recent additions.
Bachmann 158:
Excellent model and the release last Christmas time was a bit of a surprise. Defiantly a step up from the previous 158 model and the ability to couple to other 158's (and I think the future 170's) while keeping the look of the coupling is a really nice feature and prevents the need for a NEM coupling. Although it does restrict the use say if you wanted to couple a 153 to it. Hopefully more of these are announced and more livery's as I'm sure they will be popular.

Hornby Cross Country HST:
The new Mk3's with the power doors I find can open up new opportunities with running realistic short HST's. Having the XC 220 and 221 the HST in XC livery I found was a good choice for me although I could of gone for the GWR ones as I already had the power cars. The power cars are much the same as the other releases over the last few years which a meaty motor which provides some very smooth running. For the coaches I can't fault them personally and I was half expecting a small price increase compared to the slam door models which never happened thankfully. I have seen some negative comments about the wheels being light pizza cutters which has never been an issue on my layout.

Peter C

Established Member
All really good suggestions people :)
I can definitely concur with the Class 68 recommendations and some of the other models sound really good.
If anyone's interested, there are currently two Class 20s by Bachmann for sale with sound on eBay for £169. Can't link easily as on a phone but a simple search should yield results. The engine's the Railfreight version.

-Peter

------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post made 27.11.2020, new post made 01.12.2020
------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems to be the most suitable thread for me to ask this question, instead of making a new one:
There's currently a Hornby Class 153 on Hattons for £74 (link: https://staging.hattons.co.uk/25084..._green_with_east_midlands_tr/stockdetail.aspx). Such a unit would work really well on my layout as I have two small stations designed with this kind of model in mind. However, I would like to know if it's any good before going for it - looking at reviews online, it seems to be a 2008 model but in the 2020 range. The price suggests it hasn't been retooled in those twelve years.

Essentially - is the Hornby Class 153 any good? I hope people on here can help. :)

Thanks,

-Peter

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
I now rate locos by the ability to fit DCC Sound or for it to be included.

My best loco is a Dapol Class 52 with ESU sound. My Heljan Garratt was let down by complexity in fitting sound and the Hornby HST by awful TTS speakers. I do want to get a Bachmann sound fitted loco though.

I am getting a Hattons 66 with Legomanbiffo sound from Santa, so will be able to comment after his visit.

What I do not recommend is old Bachmann locos, due to their split chassis & complex wiring making DCC fitting impossibly expensive.

I have got the Hornby 4-VEP DCC fitted. It is a nice train but slow speed running is awful. Glad I got it really cheap then! The Hornby class 401/402/403s are much better.

Peter C

Established Member
Apologies for dragging this thread up again, but I thought this was the best place to put this query.

I've been struggling to clean the track on my layout recently now I've started putting more buildings and ballast on it and so I need a track cleaning wagon. I've got a Hornby one but anyone who's owned one will agree with me in that they are dreadful without added weights and I'm not faffing around with that.
My question is: does anyone have a Gaugemaster/Piko track cleaning wagon, and if so, is it any good? From the reviews I've watched on YouTube, they seem to be quite good but none of them show the effects of the wagon on dirty track. I'd quite like to know that it works before going and spending just over £30 on one!

Thanks,

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Apologies for dragging this thread up again, but I thought this was the best place to put this query.

I've been struggling to clean the track on my layout recently now I've started putting more buildings and ballast on it and so I need a track cleaning wagon. I've got a Hornby one but anyone who's owned one will agree with me in that they are dreadful without added weights and I'm not faffing around with that.
My question is: does anyone have a Gaugemaster/Piko track cleaning wagon, and if so, is it any good? From the reviews I've watched on YouTube, they seem to be quite good but none of them show the effects of the wagon on dirty track. I'd quite like to know that it works before going and spending just over £30 on one!

Thanks,

-Peter
I've been looking too, at various options, none of which are great.

The Gaugemaster one looks good but then what fluid adds to the question that you ask!

Peter C

Established Member
I've been looking too, at various options, none of which are great.
Oh no - that's a shame. I'll do a bit more digging then and see if there's another wagon somewhere.

The Gaugemaster one looks good but then what fluid adds to the question that you ask!
I'm not going to be fussing around with the Gaugemaster/Dapol version anytime soon; using the liquid and faffing around with decoders and vacuum cleaners is more effort than it's worth for me personally.

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Thanks,

-Peter
I just use a track cleaning block. I found it does the job well, you can vary the pressure yourself and it doesn't have a habit of ripping out chunks of the permanent way!

Peter C

Established Member
I just use a track cleaning block. I found it does the job well, you can vary the pressure yourself and it doesn't have a habit of ripping out chunks of the permanent way!
I've been using track cleaning rubbers (Peco and Gaugemaster) since I started my layout, and they've proved useful, but now with more and more scenics popping up, particularly on and around the lineside, I'm hesitant to try and make my way around it all with a track block.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've been using track cleaning rubbers (Peco and Gaugemaster) since I started my layout, and they've proved useful, but now with more and more scenics popping up, particularly on and around the lineside, I'm hesitant to try and make my way around it all with a track block.

I can see your point, I haven't got to the heavy scenics stage myself so I'll admit I can't see first hand how awkward that might prove, but I found that the rail-riding cleaning vehicles were rubbish quote frankly and a block + elbow grease was far more effective and kinder on the track joints and points.

reddragon

Established Member
I've been trying baby wipes, but already past 150m of track and another 150 to lay, I'm not sure that blocks do it for me. One block last one track clean :(

I might try a cheap 2nd hand Gaugemaster - perhaps someone could make a better version of it?

Peter has quite a selection here!

Peter C

Established Member
I can see your point, I haven't got to the heavy scenics stage myself so I'll admit I can't see first hand how awkward that might prove, but I found that the rail-riding cleaning vehicles were rubbish quote frankly and a block + elbow grease was far more effective and kinder on the track joints and points.
Ah fair enough - I've only just started putting signals in place etc. and so whilst I can move things to clean awkward bits, it won't be an option in the future and so I'd like to find something which would last a while.

I've been trying baby wipes, but already past 150m of track and another 150 to lay, I'm not sure that blocks do it for me. One block last one track clean :(
Cotton buds are a way of cleaning track, but they're not fantastic. Apparently the rubbers you get on the ends of pencils (or the blue/pink ones) are also good, and for really bad track, you can use sandpaper.

I might try a cheap 2nd hand Gaugemaster - perhaps someone could make a better version of it?
I'd be interested to see how you get on with a Gaugemaster track cleaner - it might decide what I go for. There must be a way of doing a simple version of one. Let's get the boffins involved!

Peter has quite a selection here!
He definitely does seem to, yes. I'll see if he has anything which might be useful for my layout.

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ah fair enough - I've only just started putting signals in place etc. and so whilst I can move things to clean awkward bits, it won't be an option in the future and so I'd like to find something which would last a while.
Understand, if you find something that works let us know - might come in handy in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.