• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite loco(s) aka Your Machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Following on from this thread really:

Did you (or do you have now maybe) a particular favourite loco?
Maybe more than one of a certain class even?
As a starter for ten my favourite locos of certain classes were:
33002 (still around and preserved at the South Devon Railway),
37142 (preserved at Bodmin),
50042 (also preserved at Bodmin),
and 47521 (long since recycled as teaspoons).

These were my favourites from bashing in BR days and I’m lucky in that three of them are still preserved and also based near to where I live.
There were a few other locos that I had a soft spot for but I’m interested in what others have to say on the matter of becoming emotionally attached to a certain large lump of old machinery..? ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Of course...

40 033 Empress of England
87 030 Black Douglas

I can't remember why they were my "machines", but the numbers stick in my mind.

Both long cut up now, the 40 getting on for 40 years ago...

xotGD

Established Member
37216 xotGD - my first 37 for haulage

(Other big Gateshead Syphons are also available)

CW2

Established Member

There's probably scope here for another thread (or a sub-thread of this one) regarding personally most hated locos, but I won't stray there just yet ...

Bevan Price

Established Member
No single loco or type, but I remember some of the long-departed residents of Sutton Oak shed. (10E then 10D then 8G). Fortunately 47298, 76077/79/84 still survive, but the Ivatt tanks and many others were all recycled.

SteveM70

Established Member
There's probably scope here for another thread (or a sub-thread of this one) regarding personally most hated locos, but I won't stray there just yet ...

Just call it “The 47 555 thread” and be done with it

Master Cutler

During my apprenticeship in the 1970s I used to holiday with a fellow apprentice at his Aunt's house on Dartmouth Road in Paignton, and spending two weeks there in August 1974 & August 1975 I became a fan of the Type 4 Class 52s.
In particular one that I saw left an impression on me, D1015 Western Champion, which hauled us on several day trips out of Paignton.
Even now, when I see a 52 either on film or in the flesh it reminds me of happy days free from parents experiencing the joys of Devon and Cornwall, so here's to The Westerns, my favourite locomotives.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just call it “The 47 555 thread” and be done with it
Which 47555 though? ;)

During my apprenticeship in the 1970s I used to holiday with a fellow apprentice at his Aunt's house on Dartmouth Road in Paignton, and spending two weeks there in August 1974 & August 1975 I became a fan of the Type 4 Class 52s.
In particular one that I saw left an impression on me, D1015 Western Champion, which hauled us on several day trips out of Paignton.
Even now, when I see a 52 either on film or in the flesh it reminds me of happy days free from parents experiencing the joys of Devon and Cornwall, so here's to The Westerns, my favourite locomotives.
I just missed out on them although I’m sure that I must have seen the odd one when I was really little. I have had D1015 on a railtour though and doing mainline speeds behind one was a wonderful experience.
My favourite Western is D1062 and I’ve got one of its valves and cam followers on a shelf in my front room (I was allowed to have it)

37216 xotGD - my first 37 for haulage

(Other big Gateshead Syphons are also available)
37142 is my favourite because it was also my first for haulage - dragging an HST from Exeter to Plymouth and back in 1987...

Peter Sarf

Established Member

My favourite loco is/was D1067 Western Druid. I spent many a summer day on Birmingham New Street waiting for the outline of a Western to appear at the far end of the tunnel (coming from Paddington). As the outline disappeared in to the dark you could soon get confirmation from the sound - they were not called Wizzos for nothing. Must have been 1974-1976. The special thing with D1067 for me was cabbing it in the darkness of Platform one.

I got interested in the railways just too late to see any Hymeks (class 35) in action and never saw a Warship (class 42/43 not a 50 - YUK).

Established Member
‘Emotionally attached‘ is pushing it but if challenged then any of the named Stratford 47s from the early 1980s would be favourite.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
‘Emotionally attached‘ is pushing it but if challenged then any of the named Stratford 47s from the early 1980s would be favourite.
Interestingly it was something that @AJM580 posted earlier that got me thinking about this. I really liked the Stratford silver roof 47s and 47580 was probably my favourite after having it out of Liverpool St in the 80s.
The fact that it’s still around is very much a bonus...

Master Cutler

My favourite loco is/was D1067 Western Druid. I spent many a summer day on Birmingham New Street waiting for the outline of a Western to appear at the far end of the tunnel (coming from Paddington). As the outline disappeared in to the dark you could soon get confirmation from the sound - they were not called Wizzos for nothing. Must have been 1974-1976. The special thing with D1067 for me was cabbing it in the darkness of Platform one.

I got interested in the railways just too late to see any Hymeks (class 35) in action and never saw a Warship (class 42/43 not a 50 - YUK).
Back in the 70s we travelled on the Leeds Paignton Peak hauled Devonian. At Temple Meads we switched locomotive from the Peak to a Western, and the change in engine sound as the Western hauled us out of Bristol was quite stirring the first time I heard it.
This is when my interest was roused in these Swindon classic locomotives.
(I must take care what I say though, having been a member of the Deltic Preservation Society for the last 20 years)

Pinza-C55

My username says it all. I'm not sure why that one name grabbed me out of 22 but it sounded like a panther, something lean and mean and fast. I remember going to Grimsby Town in May 1979 partly because I had heard that the Deltics were sometimes working Cleethorpes trains and lo and behold I heard the familiar roar in the distance and she strode round the curve into the station. It was a beautiful moment.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My username says it all. I'm not sure why that one name grabbed me out of 22 but it sounded like a panther, something lean and mean and fast. I remember going to Grimsby Town in May 1979 partly because I had heard that the Deltics were sometimes working Cleethorpes trains and lo and behold I heard the familiar roar in the distance and she strode round the curve into the station. It was a beautiful moment.
Love it. I only ever saw one Deltic in BR operation (they were a bit thin on the ground in Devon...) and that was because my dad took me to see 55016 on the Deltic Devonian in 1981.
I bought him a pint for that one many years later.

D1537

I had two favourites, both of which are long gone. One is somewhat obvious from my username and avatar. My other one was the first 47 I ever recorded for haulage.

Attachments

• 447.jpg
    447.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 13

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had two favourites, both of which are long gone. One is somewhat obvious from my username and avatar. My other one was the first 47 I ever recorded for haulage.
Is that 47457?

Richard Scott

Established Member
50031, first loco I cleared for 1000miles. If allowed foreign locos 218430 before it lost its Pielstick engine, really loud!
50019 had a fond place as first loco I recorded the number of.

Crewe Exile

An excellent thread - a few locos stand out - 40001 - that machine got me captivated into railways watching it absolutely storm out of Crewe - the noise was immense - a great machine. Only had for haulage a couple of times, but some things you’ll always remember. Had a soft spot for 181 too.
A particular pair of 20s - 139&160 also stand out. They appeared an awful lot on passenger workings 89/90 kind of time - always seemed to be particularly loud!

Bungle158

Q1 33025, frequent performer on the Reading-Guildfords in the early 60s. I remember being fascinated by its sheer bulk and ugliness. Oh, and those funky boxpok look alike wheels.

delt1c

Established Member
55.013 Black Watch is the machine for me , many memorable trips behind this machine including a diversion over Beatcock

Established Member
Interestingly it was something that @AJM580 posted earlier that got me thinking about this. I really liked the Stratford silver roof 47s and 47580 was probably my favourite after having it out of Liverpool St in the 80s.
The fact that it’s still around is very much a bonus...

47580 County of Essex, a fine machine! It was 47585 County of Cambridgeshire I found to be the best performing loco, or maybe it was just a keen driver, but doing over 100 (milepost timings, no GPS then!) at Swainsthorpe approaching Norwich then throwing every anchor for the curve at Trowse Upper was the most exhilarating run on the GEML I remember from my earlier days.

Plus as 47s seem to be disliked by many enthusiasts I used to take pleasure in arguing the opposite ;)

Titch

Always been a fan of 20s. 20168 was my ‘pet’ loco, primarily because it felt like I used to see it on a daily basis back when it was paired with 20128 on workings to/from Fiddlers Ferry PS.

Coincidentally, one of the original cabsides from 168 now sits pride-of-place in my office. Can just about still see its previous ID of 20304 underneath all the paint!

87025 gets another vote from me too. My favourite ‘sparkie’ and also named after my home county.

Status
Not open for further replies.