• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite road trips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlogax

Established Member
Summer 1982. St Johns Newfoundland to Victoria BC - the whole length of the Trans Canada Highway. 5,200 miles in 14 days. Did over 600 miles in a day once. On my own as far as Calgary, picked up a friend who flew into there for the last bit. Using a facility called "Auto Driveaway" (do they still exist?) where they tie up people who want cars moved with drivers.

Extremely envious! During the autumn I did the entire TCH section west of Calgary but I'd love to see the rest of it. Auto Driveaway still exists as DriveAway Canada.

https://www.canadadriveaway.com/cda/drivers.html

A free road trip?​

Canada DriveAway recruits safe drivers to deliver road-ready vehicles. This is your opportunity to drive a car, either A) across Canada, or B) Canada to/from the United States. Sounds too good to be true? Well it happens all the time. Vehicle Delivery is major industry in North America. Canada DriveAway wants to put you in the drivers seat.

Changed cars in Toronto, had a big pickup from St Johns to Toronto, then (of all things) a Ford Capri, built in Britain, onwards.

During my recent roadtrip I was surprised to find an absolutely pristine 1970 Ford Capri on someone's drive in a small town deep in the middle of the Kootenays. First one I'd seen in all my twenty-something years of living or working across north America!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
During my recent roadtrip I was surprised to find an absolutely pristine 1970 Ford Capri on someone's drive in a small town deep in the middle of the Kootenays. First one I'd seen in all my twenty-something years of living or working across north America!
Was it metallic green?

Taunton

Established Member
The Capri was a surprise for me (manual transmission even, unlike the pickup), it was of course the "poor man's Mustang", sold by the same dealers. Apparently several people had already rejected driving a "standard transmission" across the country. There were a lot of UK cars in Canada in the 1970s, GM brought over Vauxhall Vivas etc which were sold as the Epic Envoy by Chevrolet dealers. In Vancouver people drive their cars all year, but in the hard winter country it is common to have separate "summer cars", which the likes of your Capri would be one of, kept garaged all winter, mainly to avoid salt on the roads, and not having winter tyres for it. I think some provinces have a special taxation category for it.

It was 1982. Approaching one small town in Saskatchewan on a lovely summer afternoon with the warm prairie wind blowing, where the CP main line was alongside the road, the eastbound daily "Canadian" was just departing town; saw it slowly coming in the distance, had time to pull over and get a good photo of it. Four F-units and the traditional rolling stock, no two consecutive ones of either locos or coaches in the same colour scheme. Got not only a wave but also a blast on the whistle from the crew. Unfortunately the photos were long lost, otherwise I could put them here.

Acey

Scotland---Shiel Bridge to Corran via The Ratagan Pass ,views of The Five Sisters,The Cuillins of Skye and outstanding scenery all the way! A nod to the Bealach na ba for excitement .Down my way the road from Eastbourne to Seaford over Beachy Head gets an honorary mention !

Status
Not open for further replies.