• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your involvement in accidents in different modes of transport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In the thread about the Stonehaven tragedy, there was a discussion of members' involvement in accidents in different modes of transport. Rather than cluttering that thread up, I thought it might make an interesting separate thread and perhaps give an interesting discussion regarding real safety compared with perceived safety.

My own statistics in my 38 years so far:
Private car (me as driver): 4.
Private car (me as passenger): 2.
Bus/coach: 1.
Train: 0.
Plane: 0.
Ship: 0.
Tram: 1.
Pushbike: a few minor falls in my teens, none with more than a corned-beefed elbow or knee.
Nobody in their right mind would let me within six yards of a motorcycle!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'll repeat mine here then, in order this time.

Bicycle: about 4, one of which was very close to killing me (I might have said 5 on the other thread, I forget, I've gone flying on a number of occasions but the bad one was being hit by a car who, he said, was doing 65mph, my fault too as I turned across him having not looked properly).
Car: 2, one a "knock for knock" due to both of us rounding a blind bend on a single track road too fast, one not my fault as someone drove into the back of me on a roundabout
Bus: 1, someone pulled out in front of him. Minor whiplash, not a lot else. Damage to the bus was minor enough to continue to the destination with 10 minutes' delay or so after exchanging details and ringing the depot to confirm.
Plane: 0 (and I've flown a lot - about 200 flight segments ish in my lifetime)
Ship: 0
Tram: 0
Motorcycle: never ridden one
Foot: dunno, I've gone flying while running a number of times but none of them were really serious

The only other things that have made realistic attempts on my life are a medical condition not related to any sort of trauma or collision (blood clots where they shouldn't be, which I'm recovering from at present), and falling from the top of an obstacle on an OCR (Tough Mudder type thing but not an actual Tough Mudder) and basically landing on my head (which gave me very nasty whiplash for a couple of months and still isn't quite right, but by rights should have put me in a wheelchair or worse).

sheff1

Established Member
Well it depends what you mean by an accident.

I have had a number of low speed collisions when a car passenger but none caused any injury and any damage to the vehicles was superficial. I was also in car which suffered a tyre blow out on the motorway, again no injuries.

I was on a ferry which was blown into a harbour wall in a storm but I was not aware of anyone being anything other than shook up.

I recall a train journey where we hit a cow, loads of animal body parts flying around but no human injuries. Train terminated at the next station.

The only thing I would class as a serious accident was when I was on the sleeper train which derailed at Pitlochry in 1983. Passengers were evacuated and taken to Perth by road, I was asked by a medical person of some sort if I was OK, which I was - no examination or taking of details. I was then provided with a free first class ticket to get me home.

Bonniepurple

Counting (some) scrapes:
Train One
Bicycle 1 (I was trying to be clever and rode without hands, crashing into a combination of nettles and gravel)
Car 2 expensive ones - a write off and, while trying to let someone else out of a tight car park, I scraped another vehicle. That was expensive!

The train one was when I was wheeling my bike off a packed commuter train while trying to avoid teenagers standing in the door. I had my right leg on the platform when I misjudged my step and my left leg went down between the train and platform edge. My body turned to follow, as did my right leg. My right foot, however, stayed put. My ankle hedged it’s bets and smashed into 3 pieces, dislocating for good measure. Apperantly it caused chaos!

Chris M

For me:
Bicycle: 1 semi-serious off-road accident as a kid, 3 near misses as an adult - 1 on road (I was all-but stationary in the middle of the road, signalling right and about to turn right into a side street when a driver overtook me despite there being plenty of room to pass on my left), 1 on a canal towpath (speeding cyclist coming the other way narrowly missed pedestrians I was about to pass, narrowly missed me and then collided with a cyclist who was following me and probably going to overtake after we'd both passed the pedestrians) and 1 on a shared use cycleway/footway (my fault for not signalling my intentions clearly enough - other cyclist thought I was turning left to follow the main route (from where they had come) and so would pass to the left but I was actually headed straight on and so was about to pass to the right so our paths did not cross).

Car (driver): 4 - 1 my fault (approaching a roundabout where I was intending to go straight ahead (southbound). The car I was following cut up a driver on the roundabout heading northbound and turning right (i.e. would cross my path to take the 1st exit from my perspective) such that they had to stop. I misinterpreted that as them not crossing my path (i.e. carrying straight on, by far the most common movement) and so started to drive. I hit their rear passenger-side door. And 3 on a single track road with passing places (it was part of my commute), the first was 50/50 - we were both going too fast, the second was not my fault - the other driver was going too fast, I wasn't - they hit my front wheel arch. The third one I pulled into a passing place to give way and the edge of the road collapsed into the ditch under the weight of my car - the vehicle I was giving way to was a breakdown lorry so they kindly towed me back out! No injuries in any of these.

Car (passenger): 1 - head on collision on a different single track road. Driver of the car I was in was going a little bit too fast, the other driver was going significantly too fast and was heavier so had much more momentum (it was a range rover towing a trailer). We stopped just before they hit us and shoved us back about 20 feet. They were uninjured, I had a bad back for a few days, the driver of the car I was in had a few days stiffness and a minor rash from the air bag chemicals (there wasn't a passenger air bag).

Bus: 2 near misses. First, late at night on an unlit one-way bus only road a driver came face-to-face with a small worksite dump truck that (afaict) didn't have any lights on. The bus driver was understandably shaken, but uninjured. I was the only passenger on the bus and was also uninjured. Second I was on a bus waiting and signalling to turn left at a traffic light controlled T junction. Just as the lights turned green, a cyclist passed the bus on the inside and then cut across the bus's path to turn right.

Motorcycle: 1 (ish) - I fell of a mini motorbike when I was about 9 and had a nasty bruise on my thigh for a few days. IIRC it was a course made of hay bales in a field. I've never ridden a motorbike since.

Ship: 0 (although I did fall into the canal when stepping from the towpath to a narrowboat once).

Plane: 0

Rail: 0 accidents, but I did sort-of witness a passenger assault a guard once. I was apparently the only person on the nearly full 158 prepared to give a statement to the BTP.

Foot: I've fallen over and injured myself countless times (most recently Tuesday last week, grazing my left knee pretty badly which is still healing). I also seriously injured my spine (compressed three vertebrae and trapped a nerve, requiring an emergency operation to resolve) just under 2 years ago. I did this getting out of bed!
As a pedestrian I've had only one really notable near miss that I can remember - very nearly being taken out on a pelican crossing near Waterloo station by a cyclist ignoring a red light.

SteveM70

Established Member
Pedestrian - 1
Caught a glancing blow on the head by the near side wing mirror of a double decker bus whilst stood on the pavement waiting to get on it to go home from school

Bike - 1
Small child ran out in front of me in the street where we lived when I was a teenager. Swerved to avoid her and went over the handlebars. Her dad came round later looking for me, saying I’d scared her and if I did it again he’d punch my lights out

Car (driving) -
1 - tyre blew out on a dual carriageway in/near Wednesbury
2 - hit from behind whilst stationary on the M1 in traffic
3 - misjudged a corner in snow and gracefully slid across the verge and into a fence
4 - reversed into by a scatty woman whilst waiting to leave a car park space at Ikea at Birstall
5 - driver pulled out on me in Ravensthorpe

So only one that was down to me. For info I drove over 50,000 miles a year from 1995 to 2014 with work so it’s not as bad as it might look

Car (passenger) - 0

Bus - 0

Train - 1
Leeds to Hebden Bridge train partially derailed at Milner Royd junction, about 1992/3

Plane - 0

Boat - 0

Cherrypicker - 1
Bumped into a warehouse door

Horse - 1
First ever girlfriend’s family kept horses and I was asked if I wanted to have a go on one. So trying to impress her I said yes, and they wheeled out this enormous bloody thing that wouldn’t do what it was told and in the end I half fell / half slithered off it

I’ve never ridden a motorbike

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In the thread about the Stonehaven tragedy, there was a discussion of members' involvement in accidents in different modes of transport. Rather than cluttering that thread up, I thought it might make an interesting separate thread and perhaps give an interesting discussion regarding real safety compared with perceived safety.

My own statistics in my 38 years so far:
Private car (me as driver): 4.
Private car (me as passenger): 2.
Bus/coach: 1.
Tram: 1.
I suppose I should give details then! The car ones with me as driver were (1) misjudging my angle on a roundabout in Leeds only a week after passing my test. (2) Being rear-ended at a roundabout near Portsmouth by another car. (3 & 4) Both were caused by me having low blood sugar and not realizing in time and losing control, no other vehicles involved- also the reason I no longer drive.
The ones as a passenger were both quite some time ago- one being a mini pile-up in my granddad's car (I was around 8), on an exit slip road of the M1 somewhere near Nottingham. Had there not been our touring caravan between us and the vehicle that hit us, I may not be here now. The other was yet another rear-ending in a mk2 Fiesta, at a low speed as we drove back from the football.

The bus one was quite dramatic, a brake failure on a steep downhill (with a signal-controlled junction at the bottom) could have ended in carnage. Thankfully the driver deliberately made what I guess you'd call a tactical collision with a gatepost/wall to stop us careering into whatever was passing along the A629. The bus (Centrebus Holdings no.728) was written off.
The tram one was a minor fender-bender in Prague... well it was minor for the tram, the car (an Opel Astra IIRC) was a bit of a mess.

Car crash (2) was the only one I suffered any injury in, and that was minor whiplash... so I suppose I've been lucky! I'm particularly relieved that the ones caused by my own negligence didn't result in any harm to others, as I wouldn't want to have to live with that.

lxfe_mxtterz

Bicycle: 1
Fell off and scratched myself once, nothing serious. But to be honest, haven't ridden a bicycle in years!

Car: 0
Only ever ridden in a car a handful of times in my life - yes, shocking! Never been involved in any kind of accident, but have certainly felt like I was going to have one on multiple occasions, riding in the back seat of a taxi speeding down narrow country lanes, without looking before turning. Why taxi drivers just love drive so recklessly, I'll never know!

Bus: 0
Travel by bus regularly, but thankfully have never been involved in any accidents.

Train: 0
Never been involved in any accidents, but the first time I travelled from Watford Junction to Clapham Junction on Southern, I genuinely thought a part of the train had exploded around Willesden Junction. Turns out it was the changing of power modes, and the bang was just the pantograph collapsing on the roof of my carriage. ;)

Plane: Never ridden on one.
I hardly ever leave the UK, and honestly find very little reason to. Maybe I'm just very boring. I've holidayed in France, but that was by Eurostar. Most of my holidays are spent within the UK.

Haven't travelled by ship very much.

Tram: 0/1?
Not really an accident, but I was on a Manchester Metrolink tram when a car decided to drive in front of us. No collision, just some rather harsh braking!

Foot: Countless times.
Cannot emphasise the amount of times I've tripped on uneven bits of pavement. Have also been tripped up by some rather rude individuals too. <(

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I have been involved in one crashed car and another crashed bus. There were no more than minor injuries in either. However, both were very seriously unpleasant, and the collision between cars resulted in both vehicles being written off as I understand it. Both were urban collisions at low speed involving turning right. It's easy to see how they could have become much more damaging in less crash-resitant vehicles. It seems the lessons of low-speed road collisions are almost never learnt, and that little attempt is seriously made to do so.

I have also experienced a large number of what I thought were near misses, as a passenger in a car, taxi, bus or coach.

I have been involved in a personal accident stepping from a train at around midnight when there was no lightning. Luckily no more than a grazed knee ensued. I did complete an accident form however at the request of customer services after I wrote to them with my concerns about the lighting.

trebor79

Established Member
1 as a car passenger. At night in heavy rain on the Newcastle Western bypass. There were roadworks ahead,my friend noticed far too late and braked heavily. The car aquaplaned towards the stopped traffic, but at the last moment drifted into the hard shoulder barrier and slid down it for about 50 feet. No injuries.
2 as a driver. 1 my fault, approaching a roundabout I saw there was 1 car on it so started to accelerate again to filter in behind it. I hadn't noticed a motorbike sat stationary and hit the back wheel at about 20mph. Rider fell on her back but was fortunately ok as she had a back/neck board on under her leathers. Bike was a write off I believe.
Second one not my fault, though I was driving a bit fast for a country lane. Another car drove straight out of an obliquely angled junction at about 40mph, I had time to think "oh sh" before I hit him head on at 55mph. I was driving a Fiat 500 that day and someone earlier had said "I wouldn't want to crash one". I replied it seemed quite sturdy, which proved to be the case. Was written off of course, but everything worked as it should - the engine was displaced down and the front structure crumpled. Aside from the cracked windshield and deployed air bags the rest of the car was pristine, not a crease or ripple anywhere and I was completely uninjured other than being dazed for a few moments and a bruise on the back of my hand from something that was thrown forward.

Edit: 3 involving trains, all volunteering on a steam railway.
I threw some points on the yard, didn't notice they fully gone over, 060 tank engine derailed.
Was driving the 03 one day when I was asked to assist the train which had stalked on a gradient. It was a wet day and the rails were greasy, I braked far too late and impacted the coaches very hard before rebounding a few feet.
Most serious nearly killed me and others. We were disposing of the steam loco. I went under the coaches on an adjacent siding to turn a hose on, then return the same way. Moments later, whilst idly leaning on them they shot forward and were propelled through the museum roller shutter door and collided with stock in display, pushing it to the rear of the building. Someone had "helpfully" set the points for the shunter, who changed them back again without looking as he remembered they needed changing after an earlier shunt. 03 driver was propelling a rake of carriages and couldn't see they were going down the wrong road due to track curvature.

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
Car- once- (Drove into rear of a lorry who braked sharply and I did not react quick enough or my brakes were not as sharp)
Rail- one- (Suicide- person jumped in front of train I was on).
Plane- none
Tram- none
Bicycle- none (have not been on a bike for years!)
Bus- once (bus hit low bridge when off route at slow speed. New driver (first time driving on his own) should have turned right just before bridge.)
Hovercraft/Ferries- none

NLC1072

Car - None, been driving for 10 years, every day.
Rail- rail staff so suicides fairly often, perhaps experiencing one at the station I was at, at least yearly.
Plane- none
Tram- none
Bicycle- too many to count, lots of scraped/bruised arms and legs
Motorbike - Three, once I fell off braking as somebody pulled out on me whilst I was riding under tree cover in autumn, one where they didnt stop and I did for a roundabout and got rear ended by a jag at 40mph, wrote off the jag, one where my best friend was killed by going under a lorry.
Bus- glass blew out next to me due to pressure change on a coach trip from London to Nottingham.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

Bike - aside from a couple of near misses caused by a combination of not signalling quite clearly enough and drivers failing to pay attention, the main one I've had was over the handlebars on some black ice. I had a cut on my lip which was stitched up and my legs were very sore for a month or two afterwards.

Bus - actually a rather odd (but not too serious) one - sent flying across an airport shuttle bus because of an emergency stop when an aircraft refuelling truck pulled out in front! Luckily the people around me were enough to absorb the impact.

Also a tenuous one but escalators - rather severely injured my ankle by getting it caught in some moving part at the edge

Train - no accidents

All other modes of transport I use at most very rarely.

Class465pacer

I have never been involved in any car, train or bike accidents. The closest I have been is witnessing a bump between 2 cars at a mini roundabout while sitting in a taxi, and the failure of a few drivers to stop at pelican crossings while trying to cross the road.

I’ve been involved in one bus "accident". The door windows suddenly smashed to pieces on the Arriva Enviro400 MMC I was riding. I wasn’t clear why, whether it was rocks thrown by someone (we were driving through a residential road in a not very great area so possible) or whether the bus hit something or a mechanical defect. Lucky no-one was hurt, as the driver and passenger sitting at the front stepfloor seats were protected by glass windows. The driver decided to drive a few more stops without stopping to the terminus of another route where a second bus on said route was stationary, all of the passengers on our bus switched to the second one and the second bus changed to the route we were previously on to take us to our destinations.

High Dyke

Established Member
And I thought had some odd ones.

Cycling to school once I failed to see the bright red post office van, and hit the back of it. The van was parked at the time. The postie first asked if I was injured, followed by "could you not see the van?"

Bus/Coach. At least half a dozen over a 15 year career. My claim to fame being that in all of those accidents, I've never put the vehicle I was driving, at the time, off the road.

Car. At least two, not including the odd scratch. Been hit from the rear a couple of times; the first by a stolen car and the second an old chap as I exited a car park - shades of the bicycle accident mentioned above. Also had a car written off by my dad.

Fork lift truck. I can think of two, usually when driving a 'reach' truck and forgetting the height of the stack.

johnnychips

Established Member
Walking - banged in calf by a car a slow speed

Bike - knocked off at a roundabout at slow speed; rode into a pile of sand in road when drunk student

Car - got rear-ended once, no injury

Bus - the bus knocked an errant pedestrian over. Never got my T-shirt back that I used to mop up blood on his head. (He survived)

Tram -No

Plane -no, but a go-around on my first flight

Ship - no

Motorbike - first and last time on a mate’s Simi 50. It flew in the air, landed on me and I had two massive bruises.

Train - on Vigo-Porto route, train hit a car on a level crossing. Twisted ankle jumping out of train to have a look. Driver survived, but no idea how looking at state of car

Last edited:

John Luxton

Established Member
Bus - 3 - One involved a Merseyside Transport bus hitting the family shop / home in the 1980s!

Photo here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jhlux...Jo-Bhdmt1-VWMXMW-BjwafR-25dVnLy-AL1npr-UGbPB8

There were also some near misses railing damage on several occasions after:

News Report from Liverpool Echo https://www.flickr.com/photos/jhlux...Jo-Bhdmt1-VWMXMW-BjwafR-25dVnLy-AL1npr-UGbPB8

Plus when I was travelling on the bus as a teenager in the 1970s I recall a young lad running out of a side road and in front of the bus which hit him i was sat on the offside - I think his head more than anything took the impact.

However, what happened next by today's standards was rather strange. After such an accident it would be likely the road be closed for several hours for a forensic examination. But the bus wasn't stopped long 5 to 10 minutes the ambulance came and I recall the driver and a passenger sitting near side front speaking to a chap in uniform can't recall if it was a police officer or bus inspector.

When I alighted I noticed the nearside panel by the front door was dented so goodness knows what the lad was like.

Ship - 1 - I was on the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company's BEN-MY-CHREE early naughties when she was caught be wind turning onto the berth at Heysham and the bow slammed the quayside despite the deck crew letting go both anchors - dropping anchors in harbour is not common! But a bit of a dent in her port side above her name which was there for a few years.

Minibus - 1 (I was the driver of my employer's minibus) right turn crash in difficult traffic conditions 1993. Earned myself three points the only blemish on my licence!

Car 1 - last year fumbling for parking machine change after arriving in a parking bay - large 4 x4 in next bay reversed without checking their wheel lock and took out my nearside door

Train 1 - mid 1970s travelling along north wales coast in front seat of a DMU children dropped a stone off an overbridge near Abergele fortunately smashed the central window of the three glass everywhere in the cab, like and explosion going off. Driver stopped and opened the door to make sure all the passengers in the front part were okay and then proceeded to Abergele Station to alert the staff there. He then took the train onto its destination Llandudno with the window missing. Certainly shook me and my grandmother up goodness knows how the driver felt it could so easily have had very serious consequences.

Helicopter 1 - On a trip to the Isles of Scilly during a storm circa 1996 the helicopter ingested salt into its turbines as we had just crossed the cliffs at Land's End and the engine note changed significantly. Captain got us back to Penzance and company put up most passengers in a hotel for the night, except for one couple who ran off in hysterics after they disembarked. How near a think it was I don't know but as one could see into the flight deck the pilot and co pilot were certainly very animated!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Car (as passenger as I cannot drive): 0
Bicycle: 0
Train: 1 - Not so much an accident but more an incident, person jumped in front of the train I was on at Milliken Park.

tramdan

Car: Only one to speak of, my fault, poor road conditions on a country lane that I failed to anticipate.
Bicycle: 0
Train: 0
Tram: (A first in this thread?!) One as a driver, collision with pedestrian. The individual suffered no lasting damage thank goodness.

The exile

Established Member
Car: 1 - was rear-ended on ice. Front of car which hit me was a bit of a mess (broken lights etc) - you wouldn't even have noticed on my car that I'd been hit (that's Czech manufacturing for you!)
Bicycle: 2
Plane: 0 ( though I was on PA103 in December 1988, it was a week before the bomb and I was only on the FRA - LHR leg - not pleasant contemplating the return trip though)
Bus / Coach: 0
Tram: 1 minor bump
Train: 3. 1st was a minor contretemps between 303 021 and the Milngavie bufferstops in January 1986. 2nd - much more serious - a fatal level-crossing incident in Germany in April 1989. Can still "see" the look on someone at the lineside just before the impact ( I had thought till then that "throwing up your hands in horror" was just a metaphor) . After 2 hours we proceeded with extreme caution to the next station (about 1/4 mile) effectively as an unfitted passenger train as the car / flying ballast had damaged the continuous brake. On arrival, we then discovered that the door mechanisms and folding steps on the platform side on all three coaches had also been damaged - so had to alight on the non-platform side. 3rd was in August 1989 - "person hit by a train" near Twerton Tunnel, Bath. As the Radio 1 Roadshow was in Weymouth, the train was 37 426 + coaches vice DMU - otherwise I'd no doubt have been gazing forward through the front windows.

Established Member
I've been very fortunate, thankfully.

I've only ever been in three accidents, all in a car as a passenger. Two were minor bumps, the third was a bit more serious but my Dad and I walked away without serious injuries.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I too have been very fortunate in the grand scheme of things

Car 0 - Driving down motorway and hit by foreign artic coming on from slip road. The motorway was busy and it was safer to stay in my lane (or so I thought!) Artic driver admitted he wasn't paying due care and attention. Car repaired

Car 2 - hit by driver who failed to stop coming out of a minor road onto a main road. Suffered shock and whiplash. My car written off

Bicycle - Dyspraxic as a child and tried later in life. Fell off numerous times and lost confidence

Bus - No accident but driver made emergency stop and us standees were catapaulted towards the front. Fortunately, a very big guy cushioned my fall

telstarbox

Established Member
In 32 years:
Pedestrian - none apart from slipping on ice etc.

Cycle (since starting regular riding 5 years ago) - fell off twice but no '3rd party' crashes. Numerous near misses, mostly drivers without due care and attention but a few poor judgements from me.

Car - rear ended twice, but no injuries

Bus/train (regular since secondary school) - none.

Ken H

On Moderation
Private car (me as driver): 2. (a)drove round corner too fast and hit parked truck. he should not have been there - double whites and I was going too fast. (b) I started on roundabout, then saw something else and stopped. car behind drove into the back of me.
Private car (me as passenger): 0.
Bus/coach: o.
Yacht. 1. hit lock doors and broke the bits at the front.
Tram: 1. manchester. comin out pf Picc gardens crossing portland St. Car was infringing box junction. front of tram passed him OK but the centre took the back bumper of the car off due to track curve. Tram terminated and I had to walk to Picc station.
tram near miss. brusels at the roundabout at meiser. The tram track go through the middle of the roundabout. As the tram was crossing the road a car went in front of the tram and then stopped. Tram driver slammed the brakes on, stopping about 2ft from the passenger door of the car, puts his light on full beam and sits on his bell. ding ding ding. car driver sits looking straight ahead. baby in pram top on passenger seat. Slammed me against the partition behind driver but I was OK. When the cars moved the tram just carried on.
Pushbike: hardly ridden one

stut

Established Member
Pedestrian: 0.

Bike: 2 - was cycling along a fjordside cycle path in Oslo, on a borrowed bike. The handlebars came off in my hand at speed. Thought I'd regained balance, but then hit a drain and went head over heels. Nothing bar a bit of road rash, thankfully. The other time was quite nasty - had my brake cables subtly and deliberately cut. Luckily was in a side road and managed to bail on to the pavement when it became apparent what had happened. Not counting one collision with a pedestrian who walked out against the lights in mid traffic flow (quite frankly, he was lucky it was a bike that hit him - but we apologised to each other, checked we were both OK and moved on). Been thankfully able to avoid homicidally reckless drivers so far. Been cycling for pretty much 40 years.

Car: 3 - once driving along a lane, car coming the opposite way decided to ignore the passing place and barrel through straight at me. Had to drive into a ditch to avoid (minor damage to car, none to me). Second time was worse - got hit from behind (at 40) while waiting to turn right. Got away with minor whiplash and a neck brace for a couple of weeks. The other driver was quite badly injured, unfortunately. Most recently, got hit by a ladder that had been badly secured to the roof of a van (while driving a hire van). It broke and came through the windscreen, but I was fortunately able to get it across from the centre lane to the hard shoulder. The other driver had no idea what had happened, but when I showed him, he went to his van "to get his insurance details" and promptly sped off. Police were unable to help without further evidence.

Train: 4 - all four were PHBTs, sadly, all in this country. Never been involved in an incident abroad, which is impressive, given some of the places I've ended up travelling by train!

Bus: 0 - though I've had multiple occasions to fear for my life on buses in Pakistan and the Philippines. I was threatened with a "gun" on a bus in South London once, but it turned out to be a drunk bloke with a bottle of Thunderbird under his shirt.

Tram: 2 - once where we hit a car at low speed in Melbourne (the car never comes off better in that fight) and a thankfully injury-free derailment in a small town in Russia (which seemed a pretty common occurrence - if you'd seen the track, you'd understand why...)

Boat: 1 - does your inept dad crashing into a quay knocking you overboard into the river count? No injury bar to pride.

Plane: 0 - had a few hairy moments (engine stall, burst tyres on landing, landing gear failure that wasn't, inevitable go-arounds) but no actual accidents.

Motorbike: 0 - only ever been on them in Australia and India, but all thankfully incident-free.

Helicopter: 0 - thankfully, given most of my trips were in Greenland, and you *really* don't want to end up in the water there. A few Scilly trips too.

Horse: 0 - though I did sustain a decent number of cuts thanks to a horse deciding to veer off course and drag me through a bush in Peru.

Trolleybus: 0 - Geneva. Need I say more?

Metro/Maglev/Transit/Monorail/H-Bahn/Whatever: nope.

eoff

Pedestrian: (as a child) nealy run over by Milk Float freewheeling down hill next to school, it did hit me but just.
Bicycle (as cyclist): Ran over a brick at the side of the road exactly shaped to catch a tyre, went over handlebars.
Unicycle (as prospective unicyclist): Many falls from height, distance travelled 0
Car (passenger): Slide on black ice into hedge (no damage)
Bus (passenger): 1 - Bus hit car which attenpted to turn in front of it from other side of road into side st.
Bus (passenger): 2 - Bus hit object in road. Punctured fuel tank, diesel running down hill to roundabout.
Bus (passenger): 3,4 - hit head off mirror inside bus (above seats), hit head off mirror at exit door
Speedboat (driver): Set off too quick and father fell in river.

Tram/Train/Plane/Helicopter/Ferry/Hovercraft - 0

London Trains

Bus: 5 - all on London buses.

Three of them were at the same bus stop with some idiot drivers swinging out of the bus stop without looking and driving into the side of a car (and also one drove away without stopping).

One of them was when I was on a single decker and a double decker hit the back and the back window smashed.

One was on a narrow road with parked cars on both sides when it was snowing and the bus swerved in some ice and hit a van on the side of the road.

Car (passenger): 1 - low speed side on collision at a roundabout, was the fault of the other car, no damage to the car I was in.

Plane: 0 - although I have been in a plane landing in a very bad thunderstorm, doing lots of go arounds with a lot of turbulence, also nearly had my plane struck by lightning (it was the connecting flight to the last one), and have tripped and spilt tea on myself once when there was unexpected turbulence.

Train: 0 (and I dont even think I've been on a delayed or diverted train due to an accident or suicide (have been due to signalling problems, massive power outage, trespassers, flooding and level crossing problems though) so I'm very lucky here).

CBlue

Two in cars.

The first one I was rear seat passenger and the other car driver hit the wrong pedal at a crossroads, hitting the 4x4 I was in directly in the side...which rolled. Walked away from it with bruises but the 4x4 was a total write-off.

A few years later as a driver I had someone coming the other way cut a sharp bend and crash into the small Nissan I had at the time. My car was written off, her Zafira had scratches and a burst tyre - thankfully walked away from that one too!

Only other accident I've had was as a bus passenger, where we hit black ice at low speed and slid rather gracelessly into some road signs. Just a scratch on the front of the Trident although the road sign wasn't too healthy....driver had a hell of a job reversing back off the verge.

Midnight Sun

Bus: On a school trip in the 1970's using routemaster when the bus driver made a wrong and went under a low bridge (Foot to low), ripping the roof off the first ten feet. Being in the 3rd row on the top deck, very much a brown trouser moment

Train: 11th December 1988 was on the 17.32pm Waterloo-Weymouth which hit a concrete mixer left by vandals on the line near Parkstone station. The 442's on this service were to have formed the ill-fated 6.14am Poole to London the following day. As the line between Bramksome and Poole was still closed. The train started from Bournemouth formed of 4REP plus 2 4TC units instead. Thanks to the buses I missed the train or otherwise I would have been sat in the buffet car of the 4REP as normal. We all kown what happen at Chapham at 8.13am that day.

Boat: Moored up at Midland Chandlers in Braunston at the Junction of the Grand Union and Oxford canal in 2002, When one Timothy 'Contact Sport' West while turning on to the North Oxford went straight into the side of my boat. 20 tons of boat can make a dent. His front fender went through the rear cablin porthole.

Cycle: 6 months ago, Chinese student run out a college halls doorway in Cambridge without looking, straight into the side of me racing towards a waiting Ubor car. Knocked me flying into the side of the same car. Made a large dent in the door. This matter is still ongoing.

Lloyds siding

Cycle: so many! I learned to ride on ice, so I'm rather fearless! None involving anybody else. The most serious was when I was young enough to have 'green bones'; they bent rather than snapped!

Car: Two my fault, but nothing worse than bent panels and trim missing. Six others, the most serious: as a passenger, when the drunk driver failed to take the bend, we hit the kerb on the opposite side of the road, took off, bursting all 4 tyres, but the only thing we hit was grass (when we landed again); then, when driving, someone decided to turn right across my path, whiplash and a gash after hitting the steering column (similar for the other car's occupants).

Bus: One, where a car ran into the back of us at low speed.

Motorbike: Considering my bike record....surprisingly good! (I think my bike experience taught me to take greater care at greater speed.) Two cases where I left the road, one, in my early days, caused no damage; the second was when i travelled back along the same road that I'd passed along that morning..but in the meantime, the farmer had put a run in to his field and spilled gravel across the corner, may front wheel skidded and I tumbled off into the ditch, my ego was more bruised than my shoulder.

Tram: My bag caught on the handrail as I stepped off a Douglas horse tram, just before it had stopped, it spun me round and I tumbled onto the promenade. Luckily nothing coming and I tumbled away from the tram.

Train: 6! Three broken windows/impact on windows from missiles. One in Yorkshire didn't break the window, but hit it right next to me (I heard the bang), but people opposite were really shocked (I think they'd seen it coming), the conductor came along to ask if I was alright.
The most recent was a bird strike smashing the front screen, we stopped at Stafford and the train was taken out of service (I think the driver was covered in glass, bird parts, etc.)
Another was actually a near miss at a pedestrian crossing: the driver hit the emergency brake ( I believe he was convinced that he'd hit them, but they stepped back at the critical moment).
We had a low speed impact with the buffers at Liverpool Exchange...some minor injuries as people fell over.
Undoubtedly the worst was an electrocution on our 3rd rail system, our train was the first on the scene. Even worse was when i realised that the victim was one of my schoolmates.

Ship: Another IOMSP! The gale was so bad that the Isle of Man boat was the only one that sailed out of Liverpool! We were half way over when the boat was hit by a monster wave, tipping the boat right over, I slid across the deck and hit my head on a ventilator. I was immediately sick!

Planes, etc: 0

Status
Not open for further replies.