• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your involvement in accidents in different modes of transport?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pedestrian: 0.

Tram: 2 - once where we hit a car at low speed in Melbourne (the car never comes off better in that fight) and a thankfully injury-free derailment in a small town in Russia (which seemed a pretty common occurrence - if you'd seen the track, you'd understand why...)

If you search Youtube for dashcam footage you will find huge numbers of videos of crashes in Russia. A very large number of these show videos of bus crashes, and also a substantial number of tram crashes. The standard of driving there seems to be appalling!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romsey

Bicycle - numerous minor spills, but sliding down a hill covered in black ice wasn't nice. My bike was following, which caused a few bruises and ripped clothes when it caught up with me at the end of the ice...

Car - as a passenger in a car on a dirt road in South Africa and suffering a tyre blow out, veering off the road and hitting a tree. Luckily no injuries beyond bruises and shock.

Rail - A number of "one under" incidents including one at Tolworth. (See, something interesting does happen on the Chessington branch!)
A few close calls -
passing through Clapham Jn about 0807 on 12 December 1988.
Sleeping through a helicopter crashing into a building and then onto Wandsworth Road country side of Vauxhall station as my train passed there. ( https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aar-3-2014-g-crst-16-january-2013 )
Missing an HST out of Paddington and catching the following one a few minutes later. Emergency stop at Burnham for over 2 hours while the fire in the front power car of the train I missed was extinguished. We could smell the burning a mile away. Then back to Paddington for a second try.

Odd derailments in goods yards, normally I managed to be looking elsewhere!

Bus - An engine fire on a Leyland National - unfortunately it wasn't written off.

Kingspanner

Back in the early 80s I was a bystander at a demonstration of the Sinclair C5 on the slippery cobbles of Durham market place, and had the considerable pleasure of seeing two C5s collide with each other.

philthetube

Established Member
Interesting that no one has been involved in an accident involving a plane, could this be because they don't contribute to the forum anymore.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I remember about 10 years ago I was riding on the Ravenglass and Eskdale railway when on the approach to Dalegarth, the locomotive derailed at around 10MPH with a sudden jolt being felt in the passenger carriages. We had to walk along the railway to reach the station.

A couple of days ago I was driving to Bradford and was sat in traffic at Baildon just before a T-Junction with a side road to the right. At this point a van towing a trailer past by me very closely and then turned onto the side road and in doing so the trailer swung round and ripped off the door of a Krispy Kreme van that was also sat in traffic.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I have travelled many miles by train and quite a few by bus. The only accident I have experienced befell a rail-replacement bus, so I suppose that ticks both boxes.
It was in 1968, travelling back from a visit to Doncaster Works. The RRB was from somewhere forgotten to Masboro', and the bus a Rotherham Corporation double-decker. One might have expected the combined wisdom of BR and the Corporation to know that a d.d. bus is rather higher than the porch over the road immediately outside the railway station entrance in the Corporation's own town, but apparently not. To make matters worse, the driver made a particularly flamboyant and fast approach from the main road, only braking when cast-iron and glass fragments rained down on the road.
I have never seen bus upper-deck passengers in such a rush to get downstairs. In those days, of course, no comment was made and we all just headed for the train in complete silence as if nothing had happened, leaving the bus driver intently smoking a cigarette.

I worked with someone who told me that he was on one of the trains in the Harrow and Wealdstone rail crash on 8th October 1952, and was on the MV Victoria which sank on the Stranraer-Larne crossing on 31st January 1953. (the Victoria was one of the earliest roll-on roll-off ferries, and the rear doors were pushed in by heavy waves. 44 people survived). I wouldn't want to go on a journey with this Jonah. He also told me he was rd choice wicketkeeper for Lancashire in the 60s. I think he may have been a bit of a WalterMitty.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Interesting that no one has been involved in an accident involving a plane, could this be because they don't contribute to the forum anymore.

I've had an emergency landing at Elstree on 1st April 1999 with G-FLII. However, I don't think it counts for this thread because the reason for the emergency landing was the other passenger throwing up over the radio transmitter, which was placed on the floor between all four seats. A few inches higher and she would have caught Caroline Feraday on the back of the neck as well...

GW43125

Established Member
Depends what you call an accident.
Car got hit by someone flying down the hill when I was about 4 years old. Very nearly wrote both cars off.
A few years ago I was a passenger and the driver didn't see a bike and they went straight into us (uninjured, thankfully)
And a few months ago I had an argument with a gatepost but only damaged the paintwork (sorry, dad!).

I've witnessed a few people lose tyres or break down etc etc and in one case roll their van over (how do you roll it on a dead straight dual carriageway?!) shutting the A30 for an hour

I've had a few minor derailments (and one battery loco catching fire) in my time on 7 1/4" gauge railways.

Haven't been a part of it, but did once see a narrowbody jet (A320?) somehow end up perpendicular to the taxiway at Heathrow.

another smith

This probably won't count as an accident but I was on a plane taking off from Liverpool airport that was struck by lightning

stuu

Established Member
I was on a plane that got banged into by a ground vehicle whilst still on the stand, we had to swap to another plane, although I have no idea how much actual damage there was

anthony263

Established Member
I had a crash in a bus
back in january when my bus slid on diesel into the back of a coach in front of .e despite me leaving a 5 second gap and doing 20mph in a 40 zone.
Took the kids home 8n a optare solo which my boss brought out then collapsed in the depot cantean because of the pain I was in after I broke my ribs and ended up.off work for 3 weeks

4COR

Car : 2 - One as a child when a car pulled out in front of us. Other time we hit a deer.
Bike: 7 proper ones. 2 falls off road as a kid which were my fault/inability! 5 while commuting all non-fault (I have a 14 mile each way ride to Oxford in normal times): 2 on the same roundabout with cars not giving way. 1 on a pavement/cycle track (car left hooked across me...). 1 due to a v close pass by a taxi in single file road works. 1 car pulled out into the side of me at a T junction.
Bus: 3 - one where we rear-ended a car at a roundabout, one where a passing lorry took off the bus' driver side wing mirror (lucky!), one where the bus misjudged the offside clearence and took the bumper/wing off a parked car...
Train/Tram/Boat/Plane etc: 0

Status
Not open for further replies.