• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your next trip abroad by train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My next trip will be to visit my girlfriends family in Poitiers (here dad lives in a disused station on an active freight branch) and then on to Valencia where I studied. I'll have to take a few stops on the way though at some of my favourite locations. Looks like my itinery will be:

London - Paris - Orléans - Poitiers - La Rochelle - Bordeaux - Bayonne - San Sebastian - Pau - Bedous - bus to Canfranc - Zaragoza - Teruel - Valencia. Then on last hop to Xativa as I god damn love that city, its castle and its food. I highly recommended the valencian community to anyone who hasnt visited, friendliest place in the world.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HS2isgood

My next trip will be to visit my girlfriends family in Poitiers (here dad lives in a disused station on an active freight branch) and then on to Valencia where I studied. I'll have to take a few stops on the way though at some of my favourite locations. Looks like my itinery will be:

London - Paris - Orléans - Poitiers - La Rochelle - Bordeaux - Bayonne - San Sebastian - Pau - Bedous - bus to Canfranc - Zaragoza - Teruel - Valencia. Then on last hop to Xativa as I god damn love that city, its castle and its food. I highly recommended the valencian community to anyone who hasnt visited, friendliest place in the world.
Yeah el Castell de Xàtiva està molt bé! (The Xàtiva castle is great), lol my town isn't that far away from Xàtiva, but I've never riden the C2. I really need to do the Cercanías once I go to València, I've bashed surprisingly little track in my autonomous region (I live in madrid though, which I've almost totally bashed.)

About foreign trips, idk, I am not gonna go outside Spain this year.

Yeah el Castell de Xàtiva està molt bé! (The Xàtiva castle is great), lol my town isn't that far away from Xàtiva, but I've never riden the C2. I really need to do the Cercanías once I go to València, I've bashed surprisingly little track in my autonomous region (I live in madrid though, which I've almost totally bashed.)

About foreign trips, idk, I am not gonna go outside Spain this year.
If your brave enough take the regional 'express' from Valencia to Madrid. It took me about 8 hours, occasionally trudling along at max 40km/h. Painful to say the least, but some oddly impressive scenery!

HS2isgood

If your brave enough take the regional 'express' from Valencia to Madrid. It took me about 8 hours, occasionally trudling along at max 40km/h. Painful to say the least, but some oddly impressive scenery!
Sadly, the line is closed between Cuenca and Utiel due to multiple landslides.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The way things are going with vaccinations in Europe, Carlisle to Gretna may be the furthest we’ll be allowed to do especially if any more of these more virulent strains come along!

From what I hear at work from my fellow travel enthusiast, then you could well be right! I know of 3 people at work who've had their first jab, 2 of them are on my sector, so the vaccines are slowly coming. I'm still on the fence about it, but given I'm generally pretty healthy (except when it comes to chocolate! :lol: ) I'll be one of the last people to get a vaccine from the sounds of it.

I've postponed all my plans to leave England until 2022, although if I get the chance to head into Wales I'll be popping over the border. I'd be more than happy to visit Scotland too, of course, but the reality is that I'm much more likely to stay in England. Purely to avoid any border issues and need for tests/vaccines! Plenty to do in England for me yet anyway!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I'm only planning for december at the moment and not booking anything that isn't fully refundable.

tbwbear

I have a couple of projects in mind - not sure when they will happen though - one is a trip from Berlin to Gdansk; a place I have long wanted visit. Another is a one way from Bologna to London "old style" via the Frejus tunnel and then taking the TER trains from Modane to Calais via Paris on the old classic main lines and then crossing on the ferry.

k-c-p

Looking at Bavaria in October myself; what's the weather like then?

You have a good chance for some decent weather. Usually, October is nice is Southern Germany: Sunny with 10-15°C during the day, nights may be chilly though. We call these good weather sprees "golden October" :).

k-c-p

Hopefully, I can do the Brittany trip in the fall that I to cancel last year. This part of France as added to the German list of high risk Corona areas just two days before my departure.

tony6499

Had my 1st jab, 2nd in early May but Europe looks to be in disarray with Italy back in lockdown so anything soon doesn't look possible. Might be a case of see where is possible rather than where do I want to go ?

Chester1

Established Member
Had my 1st jab, 2nd in early May but Europe looks to be in disarray with Italy back in lockdown so anything soon doesn't look possible. Might be a case of see where is possible rather than where do I want to go ?

Agree. Don't book anything you can't get refunds on.

The approach I took last year that worked well, was booking the time off work and choosing the destination nearer the time. If you are flying out and then doing train trips Easyjet and Ryanair have good rebooking policies during the pandemic (the latter is terrible with refunds). Booking.com has plenty of places were you can cancel without charge a week or even day of stay.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The approach I took last year that worked well, was booking the time off work and choosing the destination nearer the time. If you are flying out and then doing train trips Easyjet and Ryanair have good rebooking policies during the pandemic (the latter is terrible with refunds). Booking.com has plenty of places were you can cancel without charge a week or even day of stay.
Absolutely.

I have booked timed off work and booked hotels with free cancellation using booking.com, a feature have made use of many times over the last 2 or 3 years.

Flights and trains I've got guide prices (train tickets not even being on sale yet for december obviously) so I can budget the trip. But actually the flights are with Eurowings and Lufthansa both of which have good rebooking policies at the moment.

I think the main thing for me is it gives me something to look forward to, so even if it doesn't happen and I rebook, having something sort of half booked, but with no financial risk, just gives something to look ahead to during these what can only be described as awful times. Im not confident that the winter won't bring a wave that, while not instigating lockdowns, might make international travel harder and maybe not worth the hassle. But we can only hope!!! Even looking at this thread at people's plans cheers me up. Gets the ideas flowing.

lloydyyj

I have a complimentary 7 in 30 day interail ticket to use, not sure where I’ll go though as entirely dependent on the dreaded COVID. Hopefully Norway and Sweden, but we shall see.

D6130

Established Member
I'm looking forward to trying out the restored Arlecchino (and, one day, the Settebello ) - no idea when that will be possible, sadly.

( https://www.fondazionefs.it/content/fondazionefs/en/fondazione-fs/our-projects.html )
Me too. I've watched the "Arlecchino" set undergoing restoration at the OMS workshops at Porrena - 8 km/5 miles from our house in Italy - over the past four years and photographed and filmed it on its maiden voyage a year and a half ago. Now its big sister - the ETR302 "Settebello" set is undergoing restoration in the same workshops and a four car ALe601 "Marco Polo" set is waiting outside in the yard for its turn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.