• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your pub and hospitality experience as the Covid restrictions ease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
My local has a beer garden which as you can imagine has been very busy since reopening after lockdown. Looking around at the non regular clientele last Saturday night I wondered,"how many of you will be here on Monday when your own local pubs reopen?'. Sadly I'm early turn this week so I'll find out on Saturday!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

seagull

Wife and I had our first meal out since 17th March last year a couple of days ago: supporting a small café which has just reopened. Other than the app check-in and wearing of masks until served it felt very civilised and a very welcome step on the return to normal life again.

High Dyke

Established Member
Pleased to enjoy a beer in a pub again. Called in one whilst in London at lunchtime. Offered a choice of outside or inside seats. Took the option of outside in the sunshine.

Looking to reopen the Railway Club, Grantham this coming weekend. Initially on a small scale at first.

seagull

Wait, so they made you wear masks while seated but waiting for your food to arrive? At least they didn't make you put it back on between bites...

Yes, and luckily not. As we haven't actually been out since before Covid we have no idea what is normal or not, it was just nice to enjoy a meal indoors cooked by someone else, for a change

initiation

Yes, and luckily not. As we haven't actually been out since before Covid we have no idea what is normal or not, it was just nice to enjoy a meal indoors cooked by someone else, for a change

Interesting. It is certainly not normal in my experience.

If they asked me to do that I would get up and leave (having informed them why).

nlogax

Established Member
Are they trying to drive customers away?
No, they sound s*** scared of breaking some odd rule that doesn't exist.

My pub and restaurant experiences on Monday night were damned fine. Bar staff and wait staff were masked up but in both premises no punters wore masks once inside. Seemed to me that businesses were just happy to be welcoming back paying customers.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My local has a beer garden which as you can imagine has been very busy since reopening after lockdown. Looking around at the non regular clientele last Saturday night I wondered,"how many of you will be here on Monday when your own local pubs reopen?'. Sadly I'm early turn this week so I'll find out on Saturday!

That is a good point.

Certainly I've had to branch out from my usual circle of pubs since they reopened, due to various reasons.

There are a couple which I think I will be adding to my regular range of pubs, although to be fair, I had been to both on the odd occasion before.

duncanp

Established Member

I think some local authorities have been more zealous in interpreting the rules than others.

My understanding of the face mask rule in pubs is that you must wear one (unless exempt, of course) whilst moving around the pub (entering, leaving, going to the toilet) but that you don't need to wear one whilst seated, regardless of whether you are actually consuming a drink at the time.

Some pubs I have visited (who shall remain nameless) take a 'relaxed' attitude to collecting Track & Trace details as well.

nlogax

Established Member
Some pubs I have visited (who shall remain nameless) take a 'relaxed' attitude to collecting Track & Trace details as well.

The two venues I visited earlier this week were quite specific about the TnT requirement and I had to scan in at both places. Really don't mind that tbh. I like looking at the venue history page and remembering that I've actually been able to go eating and drinking in different places for a change.

DannyMich2018

I think some local authorities have been more zealous in interpreting the rules than others.

My understanding of the face mask rule in pubs is that you must wear one (unless exempt, of course) whilst moving around the pub (entering, leaving, going to the toilet) but that you don't need to wear one whilst seated, regardless of whether you are actually consuming a drink at the time.

I personally hate wearing masks and I've certainly recently noticed a lot less people wearing them even in places such as on trains and in shopping centres the last few days and not as many wearing them outside too. If other people want to wear masks fair it's fine but I'll never ever wear one outside unless it's required. I've been to 3 pubs and only 1 was fussed about Track and Trace. Last year I believe it was only mandatory inside but it's outside now too where T&T is required too. It's nice to go out now without having to worry about the substantial meal requirement or the annoying 2200hrs chucking out time!! Nearest pub to me isn't opening till 21st June which is a shame especially considering it opened last summer when they were allowed to.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
So one of the pubs in my town got “inspected” by council-appointed COVID marshalls last week. They were measuring the distance between tables, counting the percentage of masked customers and checking how track and trace details were collected/stored (from what I’ve been told.

Apparently they also found about 30-40 punters crammed into the tiny beer garden, and as a result they received a rather hefty 4-figure fine.

island

Veteran Member
Wait, so they made you wear masks while seated but waiting for your food to arrive? At least they didn't make you put it back on between bites...

Are they trying to drive customers away?

My pub and restaurant experiences on Monday night were damned fine. Bar staff and wait staff were masked up but in both premises no punters wore masks once inside. Seemed to me that businesses were just happy to be welcoming back paying customers.

Since late September in England, it has been a legal requirement to wear a face covering in pubs/restaurants/cafés/bars/etc. which offer table service. (I will use “pubs” to include all the above in the rest of this post.) This applies whether or not one is seated, but not when one is actively eating or drinking. (Other reasonable excuses and exemptions continue to apply.) This is as per SI 2020/791 as amended by SI 2020/1026 and other SIs.

In Wales and Scotland, a customer seated in a pub may take off his/her face covering (see for example section 20 (1) (h) of SI 2020/1609). This is a very sensible approach. In practice, the same approach has been, sensibly but illegally, adopted across England. Indeed, the gov.uk guidance states that face coverings may be removed once seated at a table, which probably provides a reasonable excuse to not wear one.

kristiang85

Established Member
So one of the pubs in my town got “inspected” by council-appointed COVID marshalls last week. They were measuring the distance between tables, counting the percentage of masked customers and checking how track and trace details were collected/stored (from what I’ve been told.

Apparently they also found about 30-40 punters crammed into the tiny beer garden, and as a result they received a rather hefty 4-figure fine.

This is appalling.

In my mind inspections should only happen if track and trace find a cluster of infections linked to one place

island

Veteran Member

Last week in England, pubs were only open outdoors, and as such customers would not have needed to wear masks (unless inside to use the toilet etc.)

However, if there were groups of 7 or more people from 3 or more households, mingling between groups, less than the required 1m+ between tables, or failure to obtain test & trace details, then a Fine would be a potential consequence.

duncanp

Established Member
Since late September in England, it has been a legal requirement to wear a face covering in pubs/restaurants/cafés/bars/etc. which offer table service. (I will use “pubs” to include all the above in the rest of this post.) This applies whether or not one is seated, but not when one is actively eating or drinking. (Other reasonable excuses and exemptions continue to apply.) This is as per SI 2020/791 as amended by SI 2020/1026 and other SIs.

In Wales and Scotland, a customer seated in a pub may take off his/her face covering (see for example section 20 (1) (h) of SI 2020/1609). This is a very sensible approach. In practice, the same approach has been, sensibly but illegally, adopted across England. Indeed, the gov.uk guidance states that face coverings may be removed once seated at a table, which probably provides a reasonable excuse to not wear one.

I suppose it depends on the definition of "actively eating or drinking".

If you are seated in a pub and are waiting for a second pint to arrive, having previously finished the first one, are you supposed to put your mask back on?

As you say, most pubs allow you to take your mask off while seated, and it would take a particularly nasty spiteful jobsworth from the local authority who issues a fine because the pub doesn't make people put masks back on in between drinks.

Dai Corner

Established Member
This is appalling.

In my mind inspections should only happen if track and trace find a cluster of infections linked to one place
Isn't the purpose of inspections to check that the rules are being observed and therefore prevent clusters of infections?

island

Veteran Member
I suppose it depends on the definition of "actively eating or drinking".

If you are seated in a pub and are waiting for a second pint to arrive, having previously finished the first one, are you supposed to put your mask back on?
By the letter of the law – yes.
As you say, most pubs allow you to take your mask off while seated, and it would take a particularly nasty spiteful jobsworth from the local authority who issues a fine because the pub doesn't make people put masks back on in between drinks.
I agree. For completeness the criminal liability rests with the individual and not the pub in this case.

nlogax

Established Member

Absolutely this. If I were a more cynical person I'd say these efforts resembled cash-grabs by local authorities..

kristiang85

Established Member
Isn't the purpose of inspections to check that the rules are being observed and therefore prevent clusters of infections?

But when we are in a time of low incidence (I'm assuming this pub was not in Bolton or anywhere like that), it just seems a waste of council resources (when so many other services are cut) and just sticks another knife into small businesses. It is completely disproportionate.

Bantamzen

Established Member
But when we are in a time of low incidence (I'm assuming this pub was not in Bolton or anywhere like that), it just seems a waste of council resources (when so many other services are cut) and just sticks another knife into small businesses. It is completely disproportionate.
Exactly, many of these resources could be better used to deliver key services & not box ticking.

davetheguard

Established Member
So here’s a reassuring message to rail fans: come to Donny, you can get a beer.

We overnighted in Doncaster a couple of years ago while en route by train from Devon to Inverness. The Draughtsman Alehouse on the railway station itself was small but very good.

A bit away from the station, but the Doncaster Brewery Tap was even better - hopefully that's re-opened too, johnnychips?

Spamcan81

Have visited a few pubs both outside and inside since April 12th reopening. Some with small gardens asked for tables to be rebooked, others have been ok with walk up trade. Was great to be able to be inside though on Monday as the weather was a bit dodgy. Table service has worked well at all the ones I've visited so far.

This is appalling.

Would you apply the same policy to food hygiene inspections? - wait until customers actually got food poisoning before inspecting?
In a railway context - only inspect the track AFTER a train derailed?

The whole point of pro-active inspections like these is to help prevent the incidents happening in the first place.

kristiang85

Established Member
Would you apply the same policy to food hygiene inspections? - wait until customers actually got food poisoning before inspecting?
In a railway context - only inspect the track AFTER a train derailed?

The whole point of pro-active inspections like these is to help prevent the incidents happening in the first place.

No, but you need to look at the risks matrix of each and work out what is cost effective.

A train derailing is something likely if maintenance is not kept up, and has a potentially catastrophic outcome. So obviously this is very valid.

Illnesses from poor food hygiene are also very likely (even at home), with less serious outcomes mostly but the likelihood x consequence is enough to justify regular inspections.

COVID though... based on data from last year, there were very few transmission incidents related to pubs. Most people who catch it won't be affected, and now the vulnerable are jabbed. The likelihood x consequence is very low, and I wouldn't - doing a proper risk assesment - see it as a good use of limited resources.

Where would you prefer your hard earned tax money to be put? Improving local healthcare for other conditions, increasing bin collections, helping the disadvantaged people in your neighbourhood, etc (the myriad of other things councils bleat about being underfunded for)? Or spent on COVID marshalls bullying small businesses trying to keep afloat, with the alternative being an incredibly small risk of a moslty mild illness being transmitted? Most people who are symptomatic with it anyway won't feel like going out eating or drinking (especially pointless if you can't taste).

And if you say the fines go into the coffers anyway, then losing businesses who can't trade will mean the treasury net loses out anyway in the long run.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Should clarify, this is a pub in Dumfries (Scotland), so indoors was also open at the time.

WelshBluebird

Established Member

I don't have a problem per se with local authority inspections (its no different to hygiene related inspections or general license related inspections for pubs etc to me). I do have a problem with things like measuring tables etc as that just seems petty and pointless. But then again if the same pub is cramming people into a tiny beer garden, then maybe an inspection was needed!

That absolutely isn't what most pubs are doing and isn't what most local authorities are enforcing when they do checks etc either.

Status
Not open for further replies.