• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your pub and hospitality experience as the Covid restrictions ease

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I think the option of table service via the app in pubs is something quite positive which has come out this pandemic. Choice is key of course, but I much prefer to not have to jostle at the bar.
I've said this in another thread but I was very appreciative of table service in the pub I had lunch in earlier today given their bar is in basically a greenhouse. Very much felt for the staff working there!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tracked

Established Member
Only been out a couple of times this week, still getting used to not signing in, bar service, and not wearing a facemask every time I stand up :lol:

Binned the app last night, it slows my phone down when I use Wi-Fi/Data. Would probably have used it out of habit last night, but my local has moved the QR Code I used to scan in (they still have it, in a less obvious place, didn't see it till I'd gone past it)

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I was in a Czech bar (Thursday) and it’s table service, then in a restaurant so same again.

The last pub a friend went up so I am yet to experience the bar!

I spent 12 hours in bed last night recovering....

lkpridgeon

Verified Rep - FastJP
My experience has been somewhat mixed recently. However the 3 main issues I've encountered are:
- Online ordering systems not functioning correctly
- Refusal to give allergen information in a physical/verbal format
- Very slow or in some cases no service (where table service only)

On the positive side check-in is gone and some places are now doing bar service for drinks in most of the places I've been to

VauxhallandI

Established Member
My experience has been somewhat mixed recently. However the 3 main issues I've encountered are:
- Online ordering systems not functioning correctly
- Refusal to give allergen information in a physical/verbal format
- Very slow or in some cases no service (where table service only)
Oh yes I remember that ridiculous situation with the allergy instructions!

couldn’t have a written list because of covid.

it makes you think these people have lost their minds

nlogax

Established Member
Great experience at a local bar yesterday. Walked in, no masks visible anywhere, including on the staff. Got a table immediately, then was cheerfully invited to order at the bar or via table service..our choice. So naturally I went to the bar.

Genuinely, it felt like such a novelty after all this time. Loved it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Oh yes I remember that ridiculous situation with the allergy instructions!

couldn’t have a written list because of covid.

it makes you think these people have lost their minds
I think in the latest case experienced by @lkpridgeon it was probably just laziness on the part of the staff, rather than anything to do with Covid, though I could be wrong.
Great experience at a local bar yesterday. Walked in, no masks visible anywhere, including on the staff. Got a table immediately, then was cheerfully invited to order at the bar or via table service..our choice. So naturally I went to the bar.

Genuinely, it felt like such a novelty after all this time. Loved it.
I've now been to two pubs in York, a restaurant in London and a pub in London in the space of 3 days and it was pretty much normal, and hardly saw anyone wearing masks. The virtue signallers who are keen to be seen wearing masks probably don't go to pubs/restaurants much, if at all (at least not at the moment) and the majority of people only wear them for fear of being the 'odd one out' if most others are.

We are increasingly getting back to normal, and I'm loving it.

greyman42

Established Member
I've now been to two pubs in York, a restaurant in London and a pub in London in the space of 3 days and it was pretty much normal, and hardly saw anyone wearing masks. The virtue signallers who are keen to be seen wearing masks probably don't go to pubs/restaurants much, if at all (at least not at the moment) and the majority of people only wear them for fear of being the 'odd one out' if most others are.

We are increasingly getting back to normal, and I'm loving it.
I agree. I had a night out in London last Friday and all the pubs i visited were service as pre covid. I only saw one mask all night and that was a gentleman using it to visit the toilet in what was a very busy pub.

lkpridgeon

Verified Rep - FastJP
I think in the latest case experienced by @lkpridgeon it was probably just laziness on the part of the staff, rather than anything to do with Covid, though I could be wrong.
Unfortunately it's not just a one off staff being lazy issue... It's become a regular occurrence that because of covid some places aren't giving out allergen information at all as they apparently can't sanitize the menus for re-use. Where a website is used to display the information it's 50/50 as to whether it actually works and restaurants try to use the website existing as a way to adhere to the requirement to show it.

Surprisingly, I miss the old throw the book at you and run away for as long as possible tactic.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Sadly not had much chance to visit many pubs in the past week as I have been at work most of it.

3 days before "Freedom Day" I visited a pub away from home on a trip out. It was a small micro pub with only one staff member and we were served at the bar as normal.

I have only visited 3 pubs since Freedom Day....

Pub 1, the nearest to my house - Table Service only, going to or standing at the bar not allowed. Face masks no longer required and one way system gone, but those are the only changes. Inside tables still socially distanced. They say they will be continuing this until further notice. They are quite a food led establishment however. Disappointing.

Pub 2 - face masks not required. They have reduced space between tables in the bar and lounge areas but kept distancing in the dining room. You can get served at the bar but you are not allowed to remain at, stand or sit at the bar to drink. Table service still available if desired.

Pub 3. This is a new venue which only opened in May. It has proved very popular. Still table service only. They say this is their business model and it won't be changing. They have no tills at the bar so ordering and paying there would be an issue. Face masks not required and tables are not socially distanced.

I know a small micro bar near me has returned fully to normal in terms of seating and service, but then it did that a few weeks ago anyway!

NorthKent1989

Established Member
The Crown in Blackheath was operating at 2019 levels, it was so nice!

All the staff were friendly, no one wearing masks, I get the feeling that this pub is for those who are fed up with restrictions, the landlord even came up and had a chat with my friend and I, it felt wonderful and how life should be, not this ‘New Normal’ malarkey

greyman42

Established Member
The Crown in Blackheath was operating at 2019 levels, it was so nice!

All the staff were friendly, no one wearing masks, I get the feeling that this pub is for those who are fed up with restrictions, the landlord even came up and had a chat with my friend and I, it felt wonderful and how life should be, not this ‘New Normal’ malarkey
Completely agree, it is normal pubs only for me. I will not be using pubs that still have any daft restrictions.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Completely agree, it is normal pubs only for me. I will not be using pubs that still have any daft restrictions.

Most pubs I’ve been too are keen to get back to normality, I have yet to go to a pub that still asks for track and trace or asks about masks.

There is a general feeling that the majority are over with Covid and want normality back.

davews

Today had lunch in the Great Harry, a Weatherspoons near Woolwich Arsenal station. Fully 100% mask free apart from one delivery chap who came in and one nervous customer who put one on to go to the loo. Usual Wetherspoons fare and pretty cheap. Jolly busy as well, I had a job to find a table. This pub is remembered for one thing, it was a victim of the 2011 London riots being torched and burnt to the ground then. You wouldn't know now.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Two pubs in The City lsat night. No masks bar in one there behind the bar staff all had them on but mostly under chins.

It was great to go up to the bar and then also to stand in groups, felt good.

island

Veteran Member
I’m in a Wetherspoons in West London at the moment and owing to unspecified “technical issues” the only way to order and pay is at the bar with cash.

Three or four people wearing masks if that.

Grumpus63

Yep, was in the "Moon Under Water" in Wolverhampton a few weeks ago where it was very definitely table service but they were prompt and efficient. Paid at the bar there on a second visit a few days back and it was equally prompt and efficient and I got my regulation 10,000 steps exercise going to the loo in a typical Wetherspoons, so a very healthy, happy experience all round. :lol:

S&CLER

I stood 10 minutes in a queue at the Crown Inn, Coniston, today for bar service, before giving up in despair when the queue didn't seem to be moving at all. Others seated at tables indoors seemed to be getting served, but I wanted to sit outdoors. In the end I bought a cold can from a shop and sat in Coniston churchyard by Ruskin's grave to drink it. One effect of lockdown is that I now realise I didn't really miss pubs at all and can happily live without them.

island

Veteran Member
I tried to go to Nando’s at Birmingham International today but they were not seating new arrivals as they were out of chicken.

Went to 5 Guys instead.

satisnek

I've now been in several pubs over the last two weekends and most are exactly as they used to be, except perhaps for a greater amount of customers paying by card. The exceptions are the King & Castle, Kidderminster, but that's really only masked staff and reduced opening hours - and vastly reduced patronage. And the Brunswick, Derby, still has Perspex screens around the bar:

"What type of cider would you like?"

"No, a pint of TIGER please."

And then I got a glass of lifeless, vinegary substance which I had to reject. Ye gods.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Saturday drinking in Brightlingsea in deepest Essex. Surprisingly relaxed everywhere including the football ground who had a band on.

Only slight blemish was one barmaid who asked us to leave the bar if one person was paying. We should have insisted in all paying individually!

High Dyke

Established Member
Had a couple of days away in Norwich recently, with varying experiences. Visited a number of pubs in the city. No requirement to T&T check-in at any establishment - table service only in one pub, but able to order at bar (or table) in the rest. Much the same experience in a restaurant we visited. Also had a trip to Cromer. Bar service at the Red Lion Hotel, but not permitted to remain at the bar. In all venues both the wife and I wore our masks when entering/exiting/moving around.

I did note that the Murderers in Norwich had a sign, at the point of entry, stating you needed to have proof of a negative test or vaccination before entering. Needless to say that venue did not get my custom!

theblackwatch

Established Member
I visited a local pub to me on Sunday. Going to the bar, I was surprised to be told abruptly "its table service", so we sat down. Five minutes later, with no sign of being served we walked out and went elsewhere. One pub's loss was another ones gain, and given that a brand new establishment - which has not continued with pre-July 19th rules - opened less than 100 metres away a couple of months ago, I suspect I know which I'm more likely to be visiting in the future!

Last edited:

greyman42

Established Member
I visited a local pub to me on Sunday. Going to the bar, I was surprised to be told abruptly "its table service", so we sat down. Five minutes later, with no sign we walked out and went elsewhere. One pub's loss was another ones gain, and given that a brand new establishment - which has not continued with pre-July 19th rules - opened less than 100 metres away a couple of months ago, I suspect I know which I'm more likely to be visiting in the future!
If i cannot buy my pint at the bar and sit where i want then i wont use these pubs.

philosopher

Established Member
If i cannot buy my pint at the bar and sit where i want then i wont use these pubs.
Pubs that go down the table service route, in time I suspect will increasingly no longer be seen as pubs. Many will start seeing such pubs more as restaurants.

johnnychips

Established Member
My barman at the local said after I’d paid contactless ‘oh, I’ll fetch it to the smoking area‘ (I don’t smoke but associate with types who do). ‘There’s no need’ I said. ‘No but I fancy a fag!’

Jamiescott1

Pubs that go down the table service route, in time I suspect will increasingly no longer be seen as pubs. Many will start seeing such pubs more as restaurants.

I hope table service is a legacy that stays from covid.
CANADA, US and parts of Europe offer table service as the norm and I much prefer ir

duncanp

Established Member
I hope table service is a legacy that stays from covid.
CANADA, US and parts of Europe offer table service as the norm and I much prefer ir

Table service is OK, providing the pub has sufficient staff.

For a large pub at a busy time, it can mean that more staff are required for table service than just service behind the bar.

Table service where you have to wait ages for someone to take your order, or for somene to bring it to your table, is worse than service behind the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.