• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Cancellations

142blue

On Moderation
And yet they are still allowed to keep operating

Absolutely the worst employer I had the misfortune of working for

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carlisle

Established Member
The overhead damage is the responsibility of Network Rail though rather than Avanti.
True but disruption can vary widely across the system depending on what diversionary routes are available & wether the affected TOC has crew & stock able to utilise them .

Peter0124

Established Member
True but disruption can vary widely across the system depending on what diversionary routes are available & wether the affected TOC has crew & stock able to utilise them .
Do the Euston / Wolves crew have route knowledge via Bolton or is it just Preston crews (I think)?

Wiganlad

And yet they are still allowed to keep operating

Absolutely the worst employer I had the misfortune of working for

I am so unfortunate to live in Wigan and have family in Birmingham trying to use the train and can only rely on Avanti

Some guy

Do the Euston / Wolves crew have route knowledge via Bolton or is it just Preston crews (I think)?
Yeah only Preston crews and also some Manchester drivers sign via Bolton to Preston. That’s why loads got cancelled due to depots not signing the route

AndrewE

Established Member
Once again the provinces are being short-changed: Today through to Monday there is engineering N of Carlisle, and besides not running north of Carlisle (obviously) Avanti have used it as an excuse to pull all of the Birmingham - Preston or Scotland trains and even the Blackpools.
Just 1 of the Class 9s runs to Blackpool - but it starts at Crewe!

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Once again the privinces are being short-changed: Today through to Monday there is engineering N of Carlisle, and besides not running north of Carlisle (obviously) Avanti have used it as an excuse to pull all of the Birmingham - Preston or Scotland trains and even the Blackpools.
There is other work, between Stafford/Norton Bridge and Crewe, with diversions via the Kidsgrove-Crewe link, which is partly single track. Severely limited capacity.

AndrewE

Established Member
There is other work, between Stafford/Norton Bridge and Crewe, with diversions via the Kidsgrove-Crewe link, which is partly single track. Severely limited capacity.
That isn't mentioned on the NR Avanti page... I noticed the Crewe - Stafford via Stoke locals were running so didn't guess there was work S of Crewe as well! Now I look again, I see the Liverpool Birmingham trains aren't running S of Crewe either. What a pity they singled the line to Alsager...

And a real oddity: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:76114/2024-05-25/detailed ecs Crewe CS to Northampton which comes back ECS to Crewe CS to (eventually) form a Holyhead train. What a waste of "Severely limited capacity."

Last edited:

Sheridan

Lg_

Once again the provinces are being short-changed: Today through to Monday there is engineering N of Carlisle, and besides not running north of Carlisle (obviously) Avanti have used it as an excuse to pull all of the Birmingham - Preston or Scotland trains and even the Blackpools.
At least they're running some trains up to the block at Oxenholme instead of spinning everything at Preston.

The Blackpool's I think they just don't have any interest in running anymore.

AndrewE

Established Member
At least they're running some trains up to the block at Oxenholme instead of spinning everything at Preston.
... 2 to be precise, around 8 am and 7 pm off Crewe - plus an 0709 Crewe to Lancaster!
Be fair: there is one ex Euston, which is 0857 off Crewe.
Still a rubbish offering, of course.

paul1609

Established Member

Surely the Blackpool service is just a political whim. Nobody from London is going to visit Blackpool as a tourist resort and if they do its to make a You Tube video about what a slum it is. The fact that National Express serves both locations but doesnt offer 1 through coach tells all you need to know about the likely market.

AndrewE

Established Member
Surely the Blackpool service is just a political whim. Nobody from London is going to visit Blackpool as a tourist resort and if they do its to make a You Tube video about what a slum it is. The fact that National Express serves both locations but doesnt offer 1 through coach tells all you need to know about the likely market.
It's not just about London though. Those trains (which should really be providing the hourly W Midlands through service to Scotland - and one used to be a Bristol starter) pick up all the way and are usually very busy. Without them pax for Glasgow from quite big places have no option but to change multiple times as on a normal day the fast Euston Glasgows don't call at Crewe!

Toby268

The west mids blackpools are purely an easy way to get a set out of the way for an hour and 20 mins at Preston. As said above, these used to go through to Scotland and originally the long term plan was to restore these through to Glasgow but that’s never happened so continue to go to Blackpool.

Only the early morning 1R departure from Blackpool and the 1705 1P departure from Euston which should make a return when the hitachis are in service, I think they are back in the timetable from the 3rd week in June, were the only long term Blackpool services.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm travelling with Avanti on the 1640 from EUS to EDB in a few weeks- should I be particularly worried?

What’s the point of worrying? Anything could happen with anything on the day and that goes for any form of transport. Only time I’d be concerned was if it was a strike day.

AndrewE

Established Member

AndrewE

Established Member
Get the 16:30 if your train is cancelled, it’s loads faster and you can go via Glasgow or change for Edinburgh if it is.
the trouble is that if the xx.40 that you are on is cancelled when it gets to Preston, the xx30 from Euston an hour later has already left Preston 1/4 of an hour before you got there. (Not for this particular train, though: it's the last one of the day between 2 capital cities, so I reckon has got a better chance of running than most.)

AndrewE

Established Member
Oh dear! I was supposed to be travelling to Edinburgh today... expecting to use a RRB to travel through the blockage N of Oxenholme
Now we have a signalling failure S of M Keynes, and while they have managed ot run 1 train nbound from Northampton, the rest seem to have been abandoned: I would have thought that enough trains would be arriving from the N to run some sort of service back and on to Preston. Looks like I am stuffed!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 09-22-46 Crewe to Carlisle Train Tickets Avanti West Coast.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 09-22-46 Crewe to Carlisle Train Tickets Avanti West Coast.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 50

Boodiggy

Fixed 10:17 but no units at Euston to get moving!
Service will ramp up as sets become available.
Fault was between Tring & Cheddington …