• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bath Spa - Stockport

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm planning on travelling to Stockport from Bath Spa to see a friend next weekend. I'm looking at leaving on Saturday 26th (getting up there between midday and 5pm) and returning on Sunday 27th (leaving there between 9am and midday). I've got a 16-25 railcard, and I've also got a season ticket from Bath Spa - Keynsham (if that helps, I doubt it though).

I have had a quick look at straight through tickets, and the cheapest I can see is £42.20 (two advance singles at £21.10 each). But that includes a rail replacement bus between Birmingham and Gloucester on the return journey, which I would rather avoid. Other than that, the cheapest is then £47.50 (a £21.10 advance single outwards, and a £26.40 advance single returning). At that point, I am tempted just to spend the extra £5.10 and get the off peak return which is £52.60 (as in my mind having that flexibility is well worth a fiver).

So does anyone have any idea if there are any good splits on that route that will save some money? Or give me a few pointers to where splitting is usually good with XC? Cheers :).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
If you have the confidence to exploit a routeing guide loophole then you can do the following split, giving you the flexibility of walk up tickets, although it won't avoid the replacement bus on your return journey unless you buy a further ticket:

Chippenham - Droitwich Spa Off Peak Return (SVR) £17.50
(This ticket is valid to start short at Bath Spa and to end short at Birmingham New Street using the direct route between Cheltenham and Birmingham. Droitwich Spa is a member of Worcester Group routeing point so travel is valid via Birmingham on Map CE. Droitwich Spa is also excluded from a negative easement that would prevent use of the ticket to Birmingham if it were to another named Worcester Group station)

Birmingham - Stockport Off Peak Return (SVR) £22.60

On your return you could travel Birmingham-Hereford-Newport-Bath by buying a single from Birmingham-Droitwich Spa (£4.35) then picking up the return portion of your Chippenham-Droitwich Spa SVR which is valid via Hereford and Newport by virtue of Map CE+BD. You will need to take a service from Birmingham to Hereford that calls at Droitwich though, with only one every two hours on a Sunday.

So £40.10 for flexible tickets but still the RRB on the Sunday. Or £44.45 to avoid the RRB.

steffo

My daughter is at Bath Uni and has been coming back to Birmingham using split tickets at Cheltenham Spa.

The Chippenham / Droitwich Spa loophole is a fantastic saving.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
My daughter is at Bath Uni and has been coming back to Birmingham using split tickets at Cheltenham Spa.

The Chippenham / Droitwich Spa loophole is a fantastic saving.

Although this is valid, if she uses it on through trains via Birmingham then expect to be challenged. This will not be a trouble-free journey most of the time.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I really want to avoid the RRB (I know from previous experience that me, hungover on a RRB is not a good idea).

So because of that, and because of the problems I may run into using the Droitwich Spa ticket, I think I'm going to get a Keynsham - Stockport off peak return via Hereford for £45.15. Will take a little longer on the outward journey, but I have time to kill so it doesn't matter. And thanks to sunday train times, the return journey will take around the same time as it would coming via birmingham.

Again, thanks for the help though. I'll try to remember the Droitwich Spa loophole for the future :).

soil

Established Member
Keynsham - Stockport is £51.55 and is valid via Birmingham.

AFAIK there is no 'via Hereford' ticket?

Jeni

Birmingham - Stockport Off Peak Return (SVR) £22.60

I believe that a Rugeley Trent Valley - Stockport SOR at £13.55, starting short at Birmingham will be valid for this leg, bringing the total cost down to £31.05

Could someone more knowledgeable confirm that before it's taken as gospel though!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Could someone more knowledgeable confirm that before it's taken as gospel though!

That is correct.

My advice is as before. Use it on a through train via New Street and expect to be challenged.

If you use this combination, I advise changing at New Street to save yourself the argument.

Jeni

My advice is as before. Use it on a through train via New Street and expect to be challenged.

If you use this combination, I advise changing at New Street to save yourself the argument.

It's worth mentioning that *usually* there is a staff changeover at New Street, which will potentially save arguments.

I regularly use a similar ticket between Birmingham and Manchester and have had no arguments yet.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It's worth mentioning that *usually* there is a staff changeover at New Street, which will potentially save arguments.

I regularly use a similar ticket between Birmingham and Manchester and have had no arguments yet.

Yes, they usually do, although not always, so as general advice, I would recommend changing regardless.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Keynsham - Stockport is £51.55 and is valid via Birmingham.

AFAIK there is no 'via Hereford' ticket?

Well putting it into both the NRE online journey planner and the RSH journey planner gives me a via Hereford ticket that is £45.15. So it must exist.

I believe that a Rugeley Trent Valley - Stockport SOR at £13.55, starting short at Birmingham will be valid for this leg, bringing the total cost down to £31.05

However this suggestion may be one to look at.
I'd be quite happy arguing routing loopholes as long as I understand them, so I'm going to have a look at that one either tonight or tomorrow night. Thanks :).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'd be quite happy arguing routing loopholes as long as I understand them, so I'm going to have a look at that one either tonight or tomorrow night. Thanks :).

If that is the case, then the route is valid on maps CN+CM.

steffo

Footnote; Daughter travelled from Bath to New St. today on the Chippenham - Droitwich ticket.

Happy to report no problem.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Yep all went fine for me too on the weekend. Probably helped by the fact there was a change of staff at New Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.