• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bright Bus Airport Express service

VioletEclipse

In recent weeks almost every Airport Express bus I've seen has been busy, in a number of cases full and standing. As it's only May, I would expect that in July and August both Airlink and Brightbus will get plenty of passengers, hardly the 'fresh air express' the airport express was in early January.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
In recent weeks almost every Airport Express bus I've seen has been busy, in a number of cases full and standing. As it's only May, I would expect that in July and August both Airlink and Brightbus will get plenty of passengers, hardly the 'fresh air express' the airport express was in early January.
Launching in January was possibly a flaw. January/February is always the quietest time for tourists. Having said that, it allows the service to build up a reputation prior to the busier season returning. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see an increase in vehicles soon. The Airlink is no less busy, so I assume the traffic is either new traffic, or is coming from the tram?

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Launching in January was possibly a flaw. January/February is always the quietest time for tourists. Having said that, it allows the service to build up a reputation prior to the busier season returning. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see an increase in vehicles soon. The Airlink is no less busy, so I assume the traffic is either new traffic, or is coming from the tram?
It wouldn't take many people switching from Airlink and the Tram to give the single-deck AIRX services the appearance being busy, I wouldn't think.

Which vehicles are spare? Looking at bustimes there are three additional E300s which could be painted and brought in. Are there any spare deckers which could be painted and brought in at short notice?
I suppose if they wanted to they could give the remaining B7TLs a cheap paint, use them this summer on the AIRX and then dispose of them after the season finishes?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I suppose if they wanted to they could give the remaining B7TLs a cheap paint, use them this summer on the AIRX and then dispose of them after the season finishes?
That would but good but the LEZ introduction kills any plan of that. Not viable to upgrade emissions given their age.

There are a few examples available from Midland Bluebird. 3 currently in use (could all be replaced by StreetLites). I do believe 8496 might be Euro 5 though, it’s why First included it in the sale of the business anyway.

In I think the Enviro 300’s left are 8487-8494 and 8496. 3 of which are currently in use by Midland Bluebird. How many are actually usable is another question…

Jordan Adam

Established Member
There are the Ex-Aberdeen Geminis which are Euro 6 and would be well suited. Albeit four vehicles isn't enough to cover the PVR.

stevenedin

Established Member
There are the Ex-Aberdeen Geminis which are Euro 6 and would be well suited. Albeit four vehicles isn't enough to cover the PVR.
One of those is already being repainted into the Midland Bluebird livery I saw it somewhere online but can’t remember where so I guess we can count these out.

overthewater

Established Member

Lets be fair, the tram and the Airlink were already overcrowded before Bright bus come along, the fact people couldn't see that was very puzzling.

Observer

I would think the likelihood will be to increase the PVR rather than have double deckers, especially once Livingston are finished with the tendered work, to keep drivers employed where possible.

NorthClyde320

I think they would increase the frequency first rather than bringing in deckers, much like they do with the City Tour during the summer. If the frequency was upped to every 10 mins with a 10 min layover at each end it would mean an extra 2 buses or if 15 mins layover like at present an extra 3 buses, as there is currently 10 Airport buses you would only need an extra 2 or 3 converted and repainted

SpeedbirdA350

I believe Lothian has a clause in their contract with the airport that all buses must be 3 years old or newer (although I assume they got dispensation to ignore that due to the pandemic) but I have seen Bright using buses that are from 2012. Does anyone know why Bright don't seem to have that requirement, yet Lothian does? I wonder if this means Lothian will ask to delete that clause...

goldisgood

I believe Lothian has a clause in their contract with the airport that all buses must be 3 years old or newer (although I assume they got dispensation to ignore that due to the pandemic) but I have seen Bright using buses that are from 2012. Does anyone know why Bright don't seem to have that requirement, yet Lothian does? I wonder if this means Lothian will ask to delete that clause...
I'd assume it's because the 100 is contracted to the airport, which Bright Bus isn't?