• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton Express 319s

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I always looked askance at how those could have replaced CIG-DIG stock on the premier express service.

While they looked like 150s from the outside they were very nice inside, with generously spaced Chapman seating and a buffet/snug area (and proper 2+1 first class rather than the 2+2 sham found in most commuter units). In the south WCML 319 days I was always happy to see one in the formation.

The interior was very similar to the GWR/TfW 2+2 150s if that helps - they might be a bit 1980s but they're certainly comfortable.

Definitely better than the GatEx Electrostars!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
While they looked like 150s from the outside they were very nice inside, with generously spaced Chapman seating and a buffet/snug area (and proper 2+1 first class rather than the 2+2 sham found in most commuter units). In the south WCML 319 days I was always happy to see one in the formation.

The interior was very similar to the GWR/TfW 2+2 150s if that helps - they might be a bit 1980s but they're certainly comfortable.

Still far worse than a CIG-DIG though. Proper comfortable seats, compartments, proper buffet.

ExRes

Established Member
Incredibly unpopular units with rush hour passengers on Thameslink services, the useless buffet area was a complete waste of space and convinced some idiots that is was a bar and smoking area, horrid pointless things

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Incredibly unpopular units with rush hour passengers on Thameslink services, the useless buffet area was a complete waste of space and convinced some idiots that is was a bar and smoking area, horrid pointless things

They weren't a good fit for Thameslink (arguably the 319 wasn't in any form) but they were in my view for Brighton (and the WCML).

Bikeman78

Established Member

There were just enough to run the half hourly off peak fast service which required five units. There were one or two runs booked for a 319/0 which also strengthened some peak trains.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Do you mean Big?
I'm sure I remember "DIGs" for a short time before the 319s but can't remember specific numbers. I think there were either 4, or 8 sets comprised of semi-permanent coupled 4-CIG/4-BIGs.

I certainly remember the Brighton Express 319's hammering down the BML. I used to photograph them near Coulsdon. Far quicker journey compared to now

Bikeman78

Established Member
I'm sure I remember "DIGs" for a short time before the 319s but can't remember specific numbers. I think there were either 4, or 8 sets comprised of semi-permanent coupled 4-CIG/4-BIGs.

I certainly remember the Brighton Express 319's hammering down the BML. I used to photograph them near Coulsdon. Far quicker journey compared to now
Yes there were four units numbered 2001 to 2004. Branded Capital Coast Express they covered the three off peak fast diagrams. The fourth set usually covered one of the semi fast diagrams via Redhill.

Big Jumby 74

Branded Capital Coast Express they covered the three off peak fast diagrams. The fourth set usually covered one of the semi fast diagrams via Redhill.
Launched with the May 1993 timetable/CWN. Three diagrams based on Lovers Walk/Brighton and the fourth started/finished at Bognor, working up to Vic in a.m. peak with the balancing diagram working a late evening train Vic to Bognor. There was a cover piece on the internal news paper later in the year about the launch of the 'Capital Coast Express'.