• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton & Hove / Metrobus Discussion

317 forever

Established Member
I believe registration details have already been changed. A few weeks back a piece of paper was put in the window of all buses saying "services operated by Brighton & Hove on behalf of Metrobus" but I believe most if not all buses now have B&H legals.
I wonder why they don't just merge the operation into a name such as Brighton & Gatwick and use this brand throughout. Given that Metrobus was originally an Orpington independent but is now part of Go-Ahead London, it seems a redundant our-of-date brand name for the Crawley/Horsham operation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I wonder why they don't just merge the operation into a name such as Brighton & Gatwick and use this brand throughout. Given that Metrobus was originally an Orpington independent but is now part of Go-Ahead London, it seems a redundant our-of-date brand name for the Crawley/Horsham operation.
What's the benefit?
Metrobus is perfectly acceptable for an operator in south London/Surrey/Gatwick etc and I doubt that 'Brighton & Hove' can be much better named for the main area it serves.

Hophead

Established Member
There are, though, two different Metrobus "companies". One is part of Go Ahead London and the other is part of Brighton & Hove and they have no connection these days except for the name and the common ownership. This has been the case for quite some time now and makes sense given the wholly different operating conditions between deregulated Crawley and franchised Orpington.

MotCO

Established Member
I believe the Operator Disc for Metrobus (Crawley) was cancelled and buses transferred to the Brighton & Hove disc. Ths routes now have to be registered by Brighton & Hove.

With regards to the two 'Metrobuses', yes it is strange having two different companies with the same name, but is no different to having both companies called Go-Ahead. The London Go-Ahead operations encompass London Central, London General, Blue Triangle, Docklands and Metrobus, so I doubt the Metrobus name will be dropped from the London fleet.

Will the Crawley operation ever be rebranded Brighton & Hove? I would have thought not as Crawley is not part of Brighton, and Metrobus have set up a good network in and around Crawley. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
The London Metrobus is red, the Crawley/Gatwick Metrobus is blue. Difficult to see how they can be confused - or why there's any benefit in merging Crawley with Brighton. The management has simply covered both operations for some time, just like many other operators.

Murray J

What's the benefit?
Metrobus is perfectly acceptable for an operator in south London/Surrey/Gatwick etc and I doubt that 'Brighton & Hove' can be much better named for the main area it serves.
Agreed. merging the brands is utterly pointless. Both brands have significant name recognition in the area (B&H operating since 1986 and Metrobus operating out of Crawley since 2001) so merging them is utterly pointless, not to mention how a new livery would be needed, wasting money unnecessarily.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
There are, though, two different Metrobus "companies". One is part of Go Ahead London and the other is part of Brighton & Hove and they have no connection these days except for the name and the common ownership. This has been the case for quite some time now and makes sense given the wholly different operating conditions between deregulated Crawley and franchised Orpington.
I thought London operations had all been rebranded Go Ahead London? With Metrobus just being a brand of Brighton & Hove outside London?

Typhoon

Established Member
What's the benefit?

Agreed. merging the brands is utterly pointless. Both brands have significant name recognition in the area (B&H operating since 1986 and Metrobus operating out of Crawley since 2001) so merging them is utterly pointless, not to mention how a new livery would be needed, wasting money unnecessarily.
Both absolutely right. Also they would either keep the two websites which means that occasional searchers will get confused; or merge them in which case all the problems of other large companies come to haunt them (duplicated route numbers - 1, 2, 5 for a start - so wading through timetables or trying to work out whether a diversion applies to your route starts to become a chore; irrelevant promotions - eg Santa Bus appears only to be in Brighton).

It ain't broke ...

MotCO

Established Member
I thought London operations had all been rebranded Go Ahead London? With Metrobus just being a brand of Brighton & Hove outside London?

Not quite right. The London Metrobus trades as Go-Ahead with Metrobus as a strapline - in the same way that London Central, London General, Docklands etc is a strapline. The legal address on the bus is (I think) 18 Merton High Street, London, SW19 1DN - it certainly is not Green Street Green anymore.

blelic

Does anybody know if the council/bus company are actively looking into merging/entendant the 14C and 23 routes, or creating the new limited stop services as mentioned in the BSIP (bus service improvement plan)?

Last edited by a moderator:

busestrains

On Moderation
Does anybody know if the council/bus company are actively looking into merging/entendant the 14C and 23 routes, or creating the new limited stop services as mentioned in the BSIP?
I am not too sure but i think it is still going ahead at some point. I have heard that that the current routes 14/14A/14B/14C/23 are to be revised. The current plans that i have heard will see the 14A/14B/14C will all be withdrawn. The 14 will have the frequency increased. The 23 will be extended.

So i believe it will be eventually simplified to two routes:

• 14 - Brighton - Marine Parade A259 Coast Road - Roedean - Ovingdean - Rottingdean - Saltdean - Telscombe Cliffs - Peacehaven - Newhaven

• 23 - Falmer - Coldean - Moulsecoomb - Lewes Road - Elm Grove - Queens Park - Royal Sussex County Hospital - Lidl - Marina - Roedean - Ovingdean - Rottingdean - Saltdean - Telscombe Cliffs - Peacehaven - Newhaven

This is just what i have been told from speaking with people i know who work for Brighton & Hove but as of now there does not seem to be any confirmed plans.

It is a shame that the 84 service (Falmer - Woodingdean - Rottingdean) has not returned since the corona virus. Anyone travelling between Falmer (Brighton University and Sussex University) and anywhere in Woodingdean or Rottingdean or the coastal areas has a very long way to travel by diverting in to Brighton and back out again despite these places being nearby. I would like to see the 84 return as a frequent hourly service. Maybe it could even work as a simple extension of the Big Lemon 52 service. It would only add a short distance to the route.

blelic

I am not too sure but i think it is still going ahead at some point. I have heard that that the current routes 14/14A/14B/14C/23 are to be revised. The current plans that i have heard will see the 14A/14B/14C will all be withdrawn. The 14 will have the frequency increased. The 23 will be extended.

So i believe it will be eventually simplified to two routes:

• 14 - Brighton - Marine Parade A259 Coast Road - Roedean - Ovingdean - Rottingdean - Saltdean - Telscombe Cliffs - Peacehaven - Newhaven

• 23 - Falmer - Coldean - Moulsecoomb - Lewes Road - Elm Grove - Queens Park - Royal Sussex County Hospital - Lidl - Marina - Roedean - Ovingdean - Rottingdean - Saltdean - Telscombe Cliffs - Peacehaven - Newhaven

This is just what i have been told from speaking with people i know who work for Brighton & Hove but as of now there does not seem to be any confirmed plans.

It is a shame that the 84 service (Falmer - Woodingdean - Rottingdean) has not returned since the corona virus. Anyone travelling between Falmer (Brighton University and Sussex University) and anywhere in Woodingdean or Rottingdean or the coastal areas has a very long way to travel by diverting in to Brighton and back out again despite these places being nearby. I would like to see the 84 return as a frequent hourly service. Maybe it could even work as a simple extension of the Big Lemon 52 service. It would only add a short distance to the route.
Yes, those plans would seem sensible. Hopefully route 23 would have a frequency increase too. Every 15 minutes on both services would be great, and I could see it really helping boost usage particularly on the 23 as more journeys that avoid the city centre would become convenient.

The 84 as an hourly service or better would be great, however I think as an extension to 52 would perhaps make the route too long and prone to unreliability. The 84 could maybe be extended to Brighton Marina to further compliment route 23 to further boost this cross-city connectivity.

To add to this, new limited stop services were also mentioned in the Bus Service Improvement Plan - are any of these currently in the works? I am aware new services would seem unlikely at the moment, with Brighton & Hove having just made cuts, albeit minor ones, to services 6 and 7.

Last edited by a moderator:

busestrains

On Moderation
Yes, those plans would seem sensible. Hopefully route 23 would have a frequency increase too. Every 15 minutes on both services would be great, and I could see it really helping boost usage particularly on the 23 as more journeys that avoid the city centre would become convenient.

The 84 as an hourly service or better would be great, however I think as an extension to 52 would perhaps make the route too long and prone to unreliability. The 84 could maybe be extended to Brighton Marina to further compliment route 23 to further boost this cross-city connectivity.

To add to this, new limited stop services were also mentioned in the Bus Service Improvement Plan - are any of these currently in the works? I am aware new services would seem unlikely at the moment, with Brighton & Hove having just made cuts, albeit minor ones, to services 6 and 7.
I have not heard anything further about limited stop express routes. Personally i can not see it happening. Brighton & Hove are now running the 12X limited stop service every twenty minutes. It used to run every ten minutes in the summer at one point. I did hear that they may increase the 12X to every ten minutes again. So i think that is quite likely to happen. But other than that i can not imagine any other limited stop express routes will be introduced.

The 29X is one bus a day in each direction but i can not see that being increased. The 28/29 routes are still every ten minutes between Brighton and Lewes but between Lewes and Tunbridge Wells the service has never been restored to the frequency that it had before the corona virus started. So i doubt the 29X will increase. But the 28/29 could certainly do with a frequency increase on the Northern parts of the routes.

Brighton & Hove bringing back the 84 as an hourly Falmer - Woodingdean - Rottingdean - Ovingdean - Roedean - Marina sounds like it could be a good option. There are a lot of students that travel from those areas. So that may work well. That one road between Falmer and Woodingdean could really do with some buses.

Although personally i think a better option would be to completely revise all of the Big Lemon routes in to four new separate routes:

• 47 - Brighton City Centre - Kemp Town - Royal Sussex County Hospital - Lidl - Marina - Roedean - Ovingdean - Rottingdean - Saltdean

• 52 - Brighton City Centre - Kemp Town - Royal Sussex County Hospital - Lidl - Marina - Roedean - Ovingdean - Woodingdean - Falmer

• 56 - Brighton City Centre - London Road - Ditchling Road - Hollingbury - Asda - Patcham

• 57 - Brighton City Centre - Seven Dials - Old Shoreham Road - Knoll Estate - Hangleton Grenadier - Hangleton Way - Hangleton Drive - Hangleton Valley Drive - Sainsburys - Southern Cross - Portslade Health Centre - Portslade Railway Station

Nobody ever uses these routes to cross the city. They are only used to get to and from the city. Having them as cross city routes just causes so many delays. These routes often seem to run very late especially in peak times with all the traffic.

These revisions would also allow the route to start to serve Falmer more easily without it causing it to become too unreliable and might be a more cost effective option compared to Brighton & Hove bringing back the 84 service.

Sussexwatch

I have not heard anything further about limited stop express routes. Personally i can not see it happening. Brighton & Hove are now running the 12X limited stop service every twenty minutes. It used to run every ten minutes in the summer at one point. I did hear that they may increase the 12X to every ten minutes again. So i think that is quite likely to happen. But other than that i can not imagine any other limited stop express routes will be introduced.

The 29X is one bus a day in each direction but i can not see that being increased. The 28/29 routes are still every ten minutes between Brighton and Lewes but between Lewes and Tunbridge Wells the service has never been restored to the frequency that it had before the corona virus started. So i doubt the 29X will increase. But the 28/29 could certainly do with a frequency increase on the Northern parts of the routes.

Brighton & Hove bringing back the 84 as an hourly Falmer - Woodingdean - Rottingdean - Ovingdean - Roedean - Marina sounds like it could be a good option. There are a lot of students that travel from those areas. So that may work well. That one road between Falmer and Woodingdean could really do with some buses.

Although personally i think a better option would be to completely revise all of the Big Lemon routes in to four new separate routes:

• 47 - Brighton City Centre - Kemp Town - Royal Sussex County Hospital - Lidl - Marina - Roedean - Ovingdean - Rottingdean - Saltdean

• 52 - Brighton City Centre - Kemp Town - Royal Sussex County Hospital - Lidl - Marina - Roedean - Ovingdean - Woodingdean - Falmer

• 56 - Brighton City Centre - London Road - Ditchling Road - Hollingbury - Asda - Patcham

• 57 - Brighton City Centre - Seven Dials - Old Shoreham Road - Knoll Estate - Hangleton Grenadier - Hangleton Way - Hangleton Drive - Hangleton Valley Drive - Sainsburys - Southern Cross - Portslade Health Centre - Portslade Railway Station

Nobody ever uses these routes to cross the city. They are only used to get to and from the city. Having them as cross city routes just causes so many delays. These routes often seem to run very late especially in peak times with all the traffic.

These revisions would also allow the route to start to serve Falmer more easily without it causing it to become too unreliable and might be a more cost effective option compared to Brighton & Hove bringing back the 84 service.
The 12X has never been every 10 minutes all day but it does achieve that high frequency in the PM peak from Brighton; it has been every 20 minutes for several years now throughout the year. The 13X via Beachy Head has sometimes run every 30 minutes during the summer providing up to five limited stop buses an hour between Brighton and Eastbourne on 12X and 13X.

Splitting the Big Lemon services in the City Centre wouldn't achieve anything. Some passengers do travel cross city, not many, but these links are valued. They run reasonably reliably now and provide important links to the Royal Sussex County Hospital and Brighton Marina. They also provide cross city links to various schools and BHASVIC sixth form college. Extending the 52 from Woodingean to Falmer and the Universities would be welcome but Falmer Road is very congested and prone to long, often unpredictable delays, especially during University terms so it probably needs a more local service.

Typhoon

Established Member
The 12X has never been every 10 minutes all day but it does achieve that high frequency in the PM peak from Brighton; it has been every 20 minutes for several years now throughout the year. The 13X via Beachy Head has sometimes run every 30 minutes during the summer providing up to five limited stop buses an hour between Brighton and Eastbourne on 12X and 13X.
That is my understanding too. I am a very irregular user of the service but my memory is that the 12X was less regular in the past. The Summer 2014 timetable gives it as a half-hourly frequency, with the other journeys being 12s or 12As.

MotCO

Established Member

Are there sufficient staff to increase frequencies? Do B&H or Metrobus have significant staff vacancies?

blelic

This would achieve fairly little without frequency increases as well I would say, and that would most likely put the cost far above B&H introducing a dedicated 84 service again.

With a new 84 service, they could simply run a bus up to Universities on service 25 early AM and one to Brighton Marina from Whitehawk garage at the same time, then both buses could start the 84 from each destination. If more than two buses would be needed for an hourly frequency, the same process could be repeated. It would likely be a relatively easy route for B&H to maintain and run.

Last edited:

Arbitor5

Hahaha, the 84 has never been busy and there certainly aren’t “a lot of students” from those areas. The 85/85A 84/86 failed because no one used the buses hence the routes become shorter and less frequent. When these routes were started they were funded by the Universities but that’s no more. Why operate a route again that was lucky to pick up 2-3 passengers just before Covid hit and then make it hourly? Talk about wasting fuel, PVR and drivers.. (and I had driven the 84 a few times before the virus). The only success was the 85X/N85 now known as the N25.

Last edited:

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Metrobus are to take over operation of the St Andrews School to Banstead 617 after the Easter school holidays (17th April), following Cardinal Buses making the decision to cancel their registration of the service. They have also cancelled the 615 to Chipstead Valley and 619 to Lower Kingswood, however no replacement registrations appear to have come in for those as yet. The 619 is a long term route that was also taken on after the closure of Buses Excetera in March 2019, however the 615 is a more recent initiative that started in September 2021 as a relief bus for the 617 but travelling into new areas on a commercial basis to test demand.

Section 3.1 – Registration of New Services

PK0001213/144 BRIGHTON & HOVE BUS & COACH CO LTD, 43 CONWAY STREET, HOVE, BN3 3LT

To: Leatherhead, St Andrews School
Via: Tattenham Corner, Epsom
Name or No.: 617
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 17 April 2023
Other details: Monday to Fridays (School days only)
Source: https://assets.publishing.service.g...data/file/1128975/np_2689_16_January_2023.pdf

busestrains

On Moderation
Hahaha, the 84 has never been busy and there certainly aren’t “a lot of students” from those areas. The 85/85A 84/86 failed because no one used the buses hence the routes become shorter and less frequent. When these routes were started they were funded by the Universities but that’s no more. Why operate a route again that was lucky to pick up 2-3 passengers just before Covid hit and then make it hourly? Talk about wasting fuel, PVR and drivers.. (and I had driven the 84 a few times before the virus). The only success was the 85X/N85 now known as the N25.
Yes the 84/85/86/88 were all very odd routes. They were certainly never busy. I am not surprised they were withdrawn.

The 84 is the one route that i think has some potential if it is bought back. Before it was basically one journey a day in each direction. So it was not surprising that it only ever had one or two people onboard. But if it was to be increased to once an hour all day then it may well get some more usage. Especially if it was extended from Woodingdean and Rottingdean to the Marina it might be more well used. I know it was very poorly used before but i think with a better frequency it has some potential to see more users.

The 85 was a very odd route. I am not sure what the point of it was. It was a very short route that only went the tiny distance from Hollingbury Asda to Sussex University non stop direct via A27 dual carriageway. It also only ran a couple of times a day in the morning and afternoon. It really baffles me as to what the point of it was. It skipped out Coldean and Varley Halls and all the places where people might use it. The only purpose it served was a quick bus to get students between the University and Asda and vice versa to do their shopping. But being so infrequent i doubt many students would find it useful. It would be easier to use the 25 (every 5 minutes) to Coldean and change for the 24 (every 20 minutes) to Asda instead. So the 85 baffles me as to why it was ever introduced. Every time i used the 85 i was the only passenger.

The 86 was odd too. It was a large loop from Sussex University going around Patcham and Hollingdean and surrounding areas. I suppose it was useful for any students living in those areas. But whenever i used the 86 it was very quiet and i was normally the only person on board.

The 88 was another very odd one. It was a very large clockwise loop around Brighton that ran in one direction only. It was basically three morning journeys and three afternoon journeys. It only served residential areas and skipped out the city centre and anywhere else where most people would want to go. There used to be a regular driver called Peter who drove it for years. It was interesting as normally B&H do not allocate drivers to the same duty but on the 88 it was always Peter driving every time i used it over many years. Again this was a very quiet route that hardly anyone used. On most of my journeys i was the only passenger.

Also the 35 was a very odd route of just two journeys a day in each direction from Westdene and Withdean in to Brighton city centre via lots of small residential roads. All the roads it served were within ten minutes walk of bus stops that were served by buses every ten minutes. I guess it was useful for OAPs who could not walk to the maim road but i am not surprised it was withdrawn after a short time.

I reckon the 55 will be the next to be withdrawn. I am surprised it still exists. It has been extremely reduced over the past ten or fifteen years. It no longer serves the University any more. I would really not be surprised if it is withdrawn.

Also i am shocked that the C1/C3/C4 still exist. These have been around for like twenty years now but the Coop are really wasting their money paying for this contract. They carry about three or four OAPs who could easily use their ENCTS free bus passes to go to a far closer supermarket. The other route C2 was withdrawn about fifteen years ago but these three have stayed.

blelic

Yes the 84/85/86/88 were all very odd routes. They were certainly never busy. I am not surprised they were withdrawn.

The 84 is the one route that i think has some potential if it is bought back. Before it was basically one journey a day in each direction. So it was not surprising that it only ever had one or two people onboard. But if it was to be increased to once an hour all day then it may well get some more usage. Especially if it was extended from Woodingdean and Rottingdean to the Marina it might be more well used. I know it was very poorly used before but i think with a better frequency it has some potential to see more users.

The 85 was a very odd route. I am not sure what the point of it was. It was a very short route that only went the tiny distance from Hollingbury Asda to Sussex University non stop direct via A27 dual carriageway. It also only ran a couple of times a day in the morning and afternoon. It really baffles me as to what the point of it was. It skipped out Coldean and Varley Halls and all the places where people might use it. The only purpose it served was a quick bus to get students between the University and Asda and vice versa to do their shopping. But being so infrequent i doubt many students would find it useful. It would be easier to use the 25 (every 5 minutes) to Coldean and change for the 24 (every 20 minutes) to Asda instead. So the 85 baffles me as to why it was ever introduced. Every time i used the 85 i was the only passenger.

The 86 was odd too. It was a large loop from Sussex University going around Patcham and Hollingdean and surrounding areas. I suppose it was useful for any students living in those areas. But whenever i used the 86 it was very quiet and i was normally the only person on board.

The 88 was another very odd one. It was a very large clockwise loop around Brighton that ran in one direction only. It was basically three morning journeys and three afternoon journeys. It only served residential areas and skipped out the city centre and anywhere else where most people would want to go. There used to be a regular driver called Peter who drove it for years. It was interesting as normally B&H do not allocate drivers to the same duty but on the 88 it was always Peter driving every time i used it over many years. Again this was a very quiet route that hardly anyone used. On most of my journeys i was the only passenger.

Also the 35 was a very odd route of just two journeys a day in each direction from Westdene and Withdean in to Brighton city centre via lots of small residential roads. All the roads it served were within ten minutes walk of bus stops that were served by buses every ten minutes. I guess it was useful for OAPs who could not walk to the maim road but i am not surprised it was withdrawn after a short time.

I reckon the 55 will be the next to be withdrawn. I am surprised it still exists. It has been extremely reduced over the past ten or fifteen years. It no longer serves the University any more. I would really not be surprised if it is withdrawn.

Also i am shocked that the C1/C3/C4 still exist. These have been around for like twenty years now but the Coop are really wasting their money paying for this contract. They carry about three or four OAPs who could easily use their ENCTS free bus passes to go to a far closer supermarket. The other route C2 was withdrawn about fifteen years ago but these three have stayed.
The 55 still does have many users on the journeys it makes. I think that this is another route that would be used well if it were enhanced to run all day and at a high frequency, perhaps even as a limited stop services to offer fast services from Mile Oak and Hangleton towards the city centre, as well as from Hollingbury. The service could, for example, run every 20 minutes and stop only at the principal stops in Mile Oak, The Grenadier, Court Farm Road, Hove Park, Church of the Good Shepard, Seven Dials, Brighton Station and Churchill Square with a similar stop frequency in the East. This could really help encourage bus use in these parts of the city and in turn help the 5B service have sufficient capacity as it is often very busy.

Park47515

The 55 still does have many users on the journeys it makes. I think that this is another route that would be used well if it were enhanced to run all day and at a high frequency, perhaps even as a limited stop services to offer fast services from Mile Oak and Hangleton towards the city centre, as well as from Hollingbury. The service could, for example, run every 20 minutes and stop only at the principal stops in Mile Oak, The Grenadier, Court Farm Road, Hove Park, Church of the Good Shepard, Seven Dials, Brighton Station and Churchill Square with a similar stop frequency in the East. This could really help encourage bus use in these parts of the city and in turn help the 5B service have sufficient capacity as it is often very busy.
Just increase the frequency on the 5B, and the 27 for the Dyke Road section rather than carrying absolutely fresh air, on what is essentially a school bus every twenty minutes.
You could possibly run a 1X in the high peak, but that would be it.

that1pepfan

On Moderation
55 is always packed when I see it

MasterSpenny

A further 34 hydrogen buses have been ordered, which are:
23 Wrightbus GB Kite Hydroliners (Presumably going to be 6071-93)
11 Wrightbus StreetDeck Hydroliners

These are due next year, and will be used on:
100 (Redhill - Horley - Gatwick Airport - Crawley - Three Bridges - Maidenbower)
420/820 (Sutton - Banstead - Tadworth - Reigate - Redhill - Whitebushes)
430 (Merstham - Redhill)
435 (Woodhatch - Reigate)
460 (Epsom - Tadworth - Walton-on-the-Hill - Reigate - Redhill - Horley - Gatwick Airport - Crawley)
480 (Epsom - Preston)

Sources:
Fleet of 20 buses from Wrightbus to be deployed in the Crawley, Horley and Gatwick Airport area by The Go-Ahead Group.
A further 34 vehicles will join the fleet over the next 18 months to create one of Britain’s largest hydrogen bus fleets.
The station is the first liquid hydrogen refuelling station for buses in Europe.
Launch event on 29 June attended by the Minister for Roads and Local Transport and stakeholders from across the region.
The Go-Ahead Group, one of Britain’s leading bus and rail operators, has today launched a pioneering fleet of hydrogen fuel cell buses to carry passengers on routes in the Gatwick Airport, Crawley and Horley area.

Once fully delivered, the fleet will comprise 54 vehicles and will be one of the biggest hydrogen bus fleets in Britain. It will be served by a liquid hydrogen refuelling station – the largest of its kind in Europe.

The zero emission buses are able to cover long ranges and carry heavy loads, making them ideal for local routes around Gatwick that are intensively used - operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The single-decker GB Kite Hydroliner buses, manufactured by Wrightbus, are the first hydrogen powered vehicles in Go-Ahead’s fleet of more than 6,000 buses. Hydrogen will be stored at the Metrobus Crawley depot in liquid form, before being converted to gas held in tanks on the roof of vehicles.

The liquid hydrogen refuelling station in Crawley is owned and operated by Air Products, a world leading industrial gas company. Once it reaches full capacity it will be the largest of its kind in Europe and will be capable of providing the equivalent of fuel for over 100 buses per day.

‘A further 34 vehicles will join the fleet over the next 18 months to create one of Britain’s largest hydrogen bus fleets’

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Not sure if there is a thread for this as I couldn’t find one.
The forum's search facility will allow you to find threads. In this case I used "Metrobus" as the search term, selected "this forum" and clicked the "titles only" box. Simples :)

Please also remember to add quotes from your sources. The quote tags button is on the toolbar in the post editor, but you may have to tap/click on one of the buttons with the three vertical dots to expand it.

Edvid

Established Member
What's up with the Hydroliner rollout on the Fastway 10/20 routes? I travelled on both routes today and didn't see any of them on the roads.

MotCO

Established Member
What's up with the Hydroliner rollout on the Fastway 10/20 routes? I travelled on both routes today and didn't see any of them on the roads.
I think there was some problem with the refuelling station.

gka472l

Three of the missing new Fastway buses have been at Birkenhead ferry terminal for at least a couple of weeks, 6060 & 6067 are two of them.

HTH