• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Build Quality of New Models

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bathbuses

I've found the same on the Bee Network example and, interesting that you mention it, the dual door mmcs that First have in Bristol/Bath are noticeably "creakier" than their single door sisters. Don't know if it's the centre door or the longer wheelbase but it's definitely intrusive.
Was this an Aquae, or Unibus/Ex Bristol Park and Ride?
In my opinion the Scania Aquae ones seem worse

ClydeCoaster

Slightly different track, but having returned recently from Spain I had my first ride on a Beulas coach, a Cygnus on a Scania chassis, and found the quality of the coachwork to be incredibly high. Obvioulsy not a common sight on UK roads and, having done a bit of reading, they only build approximately 150 coaches a year which not a huge amount.

So shifting to coaches, are Beulas known for being high quality? I'm guilty of having written them off as a fringe player and (ignorantly) possibly quite cheap.

And while I'm on that vein, what's the general consensus of Irizar? Stylish, yes, but hard wearing?

Last edited:

PG

Established Member
So shifting to coaches, are Beaulas known for being high quality?
My recollection is possibly a bit out of date now. Back around the turn of the century they seemed to gain ground in the UK with their Stergo ’e body upon Irisbus EuroRider chassis. IIRC it was an exclusive body/chassis arrangement. Quite stylish and well built but the chassis betrayed its Iveco underpinnings which didn't quite match up to the quality of the body or other chassis e.g. Volvo, Scania. Sold into the premium end of the market for around a decade before being eclipsed by competitors. One unusual quirk of the Beaulas body was the separate drivers door which seemed superfluous given the clear access to the passenger entrance and saloon. Found some pics on a sales website here which shows a vehicle that has been upseated in its later years for schools work.