• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Manufacturer News & Discussion

fgwrich

Established Member
And I must say that that thing on the front of the Switch buses makes them look absolutely hideous.
I wasn't sure what you were talking about at first until I saw that! Why have they made an already fairly unattractive vehicle look bulbous and angry?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I wasn't sure what you were talking about at first until I saw that! Why have they made an already fairly unattractive vehicle look bulbous and angry?

That's an AtroCity!

Bornin1980s

Something I've long wondered, do Volvo make chassis in Sweden, send them to MCV in Egypt for bodying, then ship the complete vehicle back to Europe? How does this make sense?

Something I've long wondered, do Volvo make chassis in Sweden, send them to MCV in Egypt for bodying, then ship the complete vehicle back to Europe? How does this make sense?

Correct. There are economies of scale from Volvo as they are a much larger producer on terms of number of vehicles made than our domestic manufacturers which allows them to spread the fixed cost of development,
the factory etc over more vehicles. Likewise labour in Egypt is much cheaper than UK and body production is labour intensive. Yes there are shipping cost but these are offset by the above benefits. International shipping is cheaper than you would think...

Bornin1980s

]]
Correct. There are economies of scale from Volvo as they are a much larger producer on terms of number of vehicles made than our domestic manufacturers which allows them to spread the fixed cost of development,
the factory etc over more vehicles. Likewise labour in Egypt is much cheaper than UK and body production is labour intensive. Yes there are shipping cost but these are offset by the above benefits. International shipping is cheaper than you would think...
Do they use MCV bodies for their native Sweden?

Worm

I just noticed the 24 plate diesel Solos in GM have the traditional Optare steering wheel but have Iveco emblazoned instead of an Optare badge.

Established Member
I just noticed the 24 plate diesel Solos in GM have the traditional Optare steering wheel but have Iveco emblazoned instead of an Optare badge.
The steering wheel Optare use was originally an Iveco design from the early 90s.
Presumably they couldn't get hold of enough Optare ones and had to use Iveco branded ones instead.

darylyates17

The steering wheel Optare use was originally an Iveco design from the early 90s.
Presumably they couldn't get hold of enough Optare ones and had to use Iveco branded ones instead.
Noticed a few of the Arriva SRs in St Helens have had Iveco badged steering wheels replace the original Optare badged ones presuming it’s the same reason.

Mikey C

Established Member
Is the Solo the only Optare badged product still being made? I can't imagine Optare/Switch selling many other diesel models now.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Is the Solo the only Optare badged product still being made? I can't imagine Optare/Switch selling many other diesel models now.
I'd imagine if a large enough order was committed they probably would make a diesel Metrocity or a diesel Metrodecker. However given sales of the diesel Metrodecker when it was offered i'd argue there's a higher chance of Optare bringing back the Alero...

In theory the revised Cummins/Allison driveline in the new Solo can easily be adapted to the Metrocity as it is essentially just a door forward Solo - as was the Versa.

MotCO

Established Member

Could you imagine a steering wheel with 'Switch' in the middle of it? Drivers will try pushing it, turning it etc to see what the switch was for :lol:.

Edvid

Established Member
Three Enviro100AEVs have been ordered for an autonomous vehicle project in Cambridge.

Alexander Dennis will supply three Enviro100AEV battery-electric autonomous buses to the Cambridge Connector consortium, of which it is now a member alongside parties including technology company Fusion Processing and operator Stagecoach.

The Enviro100AEVs will be part of a four-strong fleet delivering services in Cambridge under the project. The three bus industry partners are already working together on the CAVForth autonomous undertaking in Scotland, for which an Enviro100AEV has been ordered for use on the CAVForth2 second stage.

Connector will build on that joint expertise and other experience to adapt the vehicle and its technology for services at the Cambridge Biomedical Campus. The Enviro100AEV fleet will be built later in 2024. Service entry is expected in 2025 following testing and training, with “safety drivers” to be provided for onboard supervision.

Lead party for the consortium is the Greater Cambridge Partnership, with other members including dRISK, Gamma Energy, and IPG Automotive. Part funding comes from the Centre for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles.

Alexander Dennis Group Engineering Director Chris Gall says that the manufacturer is “delighted” to have been chosen to join the Connector consortium with the Enviro100AEV.

“This is a fantastic opportunity to further the development of this technology with our partners as we continue to explore use cases where autonomous buses can improve operational efficiency and add flexibility to transport networks,” he continues.

Adds Fusion Processing CEO Jim Hutchinson: “Our CAVStar Automated Drive System will provide the sensors, control modules and software that will allow the project vehicles to drive autonomously on the Cambridge routes, showcasing a safe and efficient new type of public transport system.”