• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing trains at Frankfurt Airport or Hbf

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex397

Established Member
I’m travelling from Brussels to Nuremberg next week, on ICE13 (amended due to diversion) then ICE625. I am wondering where it will be best to change - at Frankfurt Flughafen or Frankfurt Hbf.

ICE13 arrives at Flughafen at 1218 and Hbf at 1233.
ICE625 arrives Flughafen at 1233 and Hbf 1253.
So a 15 min change at Flughafen and 20 at Hbf.

Some have said Hbf can be tricky to change at as it can be very busy, with Flughafen being a bit easier. Does anyone have any advice? I just want to know if it’s relatively easy to change at Flughafen and if it’s ok in terms of ticketing/reservations.

As my ICE13 was amended, I can apparently use any train during the day to Nuremberg. I have purchased a reservation for the ICE625 starting at Flughafen.

The main factor in deciding where to change would be any potential delays. What is the best way to see how trains are running on the day? Is it the DB Navigator app?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Golghar

Frankfurt Flughafen would be infinitely better as both trains use the same platform there (Fern Gleis 4). At Frankfurt (Main) Hbf. it is Gleis 17 and Gleis 7 respectively.

Beebman

I agree that Flughafen would be easier because of the same-platform interchange. If you need any food and drinks there's kiosks on the platform.

Gloster

Established Member
I am not sure of the rules on DB, but on some railways your seat reservation becomes invalid if not taken up within a certain period of time, probably ten or fifteen minutes, from the departure from the station it was valid from. If you have booked it to start from Flughafen join the train there, rather than finding it occupied at Hbf by a Barackenzimmeranwalt.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I am not sure of the rules on DB, but on some railways your seat reservation becomes invalid if not taken up within a certain period of time, probably ten or fifteen minutes, from the departure from the station it was valid from. If you have booked it to start from Flughafen join the train there, rather than finding it occupied at Hbf by a Barackenzimmeranwalt.
For DB it’s usually 15 minutes, in anycase Flughafen is an easier connection

Austriantrain

Established Member
The main factor in deciding where to change would be any potential delays. What is the best way to see how trains are running on the day? Is it the DB Navigator app?

Since your connection time is 15 minutes, you can relax up to the point your own train has more than 10 minutes delay (not unlikely, unfortunately).

If it does, the App or DB website will be useful to find out if your connecting train is equally delayed (again, not unlikely), in which case you are fine.

If you Know that you will miss the connection, then it would be good to look up whether your next opportunity will be from Flughafen or Hauptbahnhof. It is likely to be the former.

Veteran Member
Fortunately, ICE 625 should follow you from Koeln-Deutz, and is unlikely to overtake you.

Austriantrain

Established Member
In any case, I would not worry too much. You have plenty of other trains that will take you to Nürnberg if you miss ICE625.

alex397

Established Member
Well, it certainly looks like I will change at Flughafen then. Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I wasn’t sure that it would be the same platform either, so that’s even more of a bonus. Due to be ever increasing disability, I welcome any change that doesn’t involve stairs or even escalators!

While the amended times from DB on the ICE13 aren’t exactly welcome, it’s certainly a relief that I am able to use any train to Nuremberg.

The DB Navigator app is very useful and gives up to the minute train information (often better than DB's own display screens on platforms...) However, things on DB are not always running so well, so I would make certain to bring a snack, some water and a readiness to be delayed a fair bit. If you arrive within 40 mins of time at Nueremberg, you will be doing well in my recent experience!

dutchflyer

Established Member
as above: timekeeping is abysmal making this all just theory. Plus that very often ICE from BRU/BE stop at Köln now-to save the precious few sets that can run over the border.
You will also get uptotheminute info-often even also in english-wihlst in the ICE and just before the next stop. They can even inform you about also likely delays on the next train. Plus that somehow (check yourself) I also have read there are also works=replacement bus or reroute between Wúrzburg and Núrnberg this week

Veteran Member
You will also get uptotheminute info-often even also in english-wihlst in the ICE and just before the next stop. They can even inform you about also likely delays on the next train. Plus that somehow (check yourself) I also have read there are also works=replacement bus or reroute between Wúrzburg and Núrnberg this week
The amended times (as with Aachen-Koeln) are in the journey planner.

popeter45

also on ICE13 next week with the delays, thou instead heading to Basel, already baked in a 2hr layover between trains so can grab a meal in Frankfurt Hbf

alex397

Established Member
also on ICE13 next week with the delays, thou instead heading to Basel, already baked in a 2hr layover between trains so can grab a meal in Frankfurt Hbf
On my way back the following week, I have given myself 2 hours at Frankfurt for this reason.

Since booking this trip, I really regret giving myself only 15-20 mins between trains at Frankfurt. It seems incredibly ambitious. Oh well, it will be an adventure :E

UPDATE: I’m now on ICE625, so obviously the connection was successful. Frankfurt Flughafen was a doddle to change at, and there are at least two different food/coffee stalls on the platform which was useful. One tip though - I had foolishly assumed as I had travelled in coach 29 on ICE13, and I was in coach 29 on ICE625, that I could just stay in the same spot. Until 2 mins before the train arrived, noticing it was the other way around, so a quick dash to the other end of the platform for me.

ICE13 was predictably delayed, and over 15 mins once at Bonn/Siegburg, but as ICE625 follows behinds from Cologne on the same line, I was (slightly) relaxed I would be ok.

The diversion on ICE13 felt like quite a slog, changing direction at Aachen then skirting the Dutch border before changing direction again at Rheydt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.