• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does Real Time Trains cover trains creeping through stations?

Railcar

This question was triggered by seeing LNER Azumas creeping through Finsbury Park station at around 10.30 yesterday (May 1st) as i waited for a delayed Stevenage on Pl.8.
An Azuma crept though Pl.1 (used by up suburban slows to Moorgate) Railway Track Diagrams calls this Up Slow 2 . Later, another Azuma (the same one?) slipped through what RTD calls Down Slow 2. I'd always imagined that trains that used the Down Slow 2 were being sent to the siding at Bowes Park and thence to Bounds Green for servicing. I could find no mention of these moves on RTT, just the comings and goings of regular services (including my delayed train). I looked on RTD to see if there was a route from Up Slow 2 to Down Slow 2 in the tangle of lines to the south of Finsbury Park but couldn't spot one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JordR

What's the purpose of those moves? To free up the platform at King's Cross?

Railcar

Thank you , 1D53, you've answered all my questions. I shall have to learn how to search RTT properly!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Slightly OT -
Wed 1st May, I saw the passing of a cl.220 Voyager heading towards the Portsmouth Direct Line. However - it didn't (and still doesn't) appear on data fed to RTT.
It passed Bedhampton just before noon - after the Merehead to Crawley aggregates working and before the NR 153 track inspection unit (marked on attached).

My question - how often do workings get excluded from data fed to RTT, etc?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240503_111418_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240503_111418_Chrome~2.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

louis97

Established Member
Slightly OT -
Wednesday 1st May, I saw the passing of an (ECS) Voyager heading east; however it didn't (and still doesn't) appear on data fed to RTT.
It passed Bedhampton just before noon - after the Merehead to Crawley aggregates working and before the NR 153 track inspection unit (marked on attached).

My question - how often do ECS workings get excluded from data fed to RTT, etc?
Most likely this - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G24849/2024-05-01/detailed#allox_id=0

It was on diversion and at present RTT does not report on this.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Slightly OT -
Wednesday 1st May, I saw the passing of an (ECS) Voyager heading east; however it didn't (and still doesn't) appear on data fed to RTT.

I have rarely seen this sort of thing, but only rarely.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Slightly OT -

That Voyager on diversion was also the subject of a thread here:
It was a passenger service, as mentioned RTT wouldn’t report any times while it was off route, ie between St Denys and Reading.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
That Voyager on diversion was also the subject of a thread here:
It was a passenger service, as mentioned RTT wouldn’t report any times while it was off route, ie between St Denys and Reading.
Great stuff - thanks for the insight

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Great stuff - thanks for the insight
What you can often do is make a reasonable assumption about where a ‘strange’ passenger service has to have come from, in this case you’d think Bournemouth or maybe Southampton, and have an educated guess about when it would have had to pass through the last place on its normal route. As typical SN services take about 40 mins between Southampton and Bedhampton with stops you might have looked for the train at Southampton around 1115? At which point it was still showing on route but a few minutes late leaving, then “no report” at Southampton Airport, once it had diverted at St Denys towards Fareham. The slight delay at Southampton might be the time taken to check the driver was happy with the route, and/or to get passengers for the usual stations off the train…

Last edited:

M60lad

Is there any way that Realtime Trains could show trains that are on diversion routes? I know Railcam manage to do this when freights and the odd passenger service gets diverted.

Last edited:

1D53

Established Member
The off route timing data is available so I guess in theory yes. The railways internal systems don't manage it very well though so I can't imagine it is an easy task!

Javelin_55

Is there any way that Realtime Trains could show trains that are on diversion routes? I know Railcam manage to do this when freights and the odd passenger service gets diverted.
This is done by adding the diversionary route to the schedule and infilling the timings manually if the train has already passed the new calling points. Those who can do it (TRCs, for instance) rarely bother, due to it being a fiddly, long-winded process with no practical benefit.
I recently asked one such TRC how to do it, and they initially couldn't remember how.

LBMPSB

I'm sure there's a logical reason behind these moves, but they do seem odd.
It is to free up platforms at Kings Cross. I remember this happened a lot when they were refurbishing Kings Cross Station and Platform 0 was created, closing two platforms at a time. Because some of the longer distances services have a longer turnaround, it was possible to use a shunt driver to take the train out and back via Bowes Park,and still work its next working north.