• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Door open on moving DLR train

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Barry169

A door opened and closed on a moving Victoria Line train I was traveling on in the early 80s.

Luckily we had just gone past Oxford Circus and the train was quieter. Before then I had been leaning against that door.

DGP

So that video appears to show a train approaching Mint Street junction and tunnel towards Bank from Shadwell. The door that is open is on the left hand side but at Shadwell station, the doors open on the right. So how on earth ...?

Trackman

Established Member
I'd be finding the PSA or using the pass comm ASAP, sometimes people are sometimes oblivious to the real danger as they want to get to A-B and ignore it. Same with DLR surfers - blind eye time.

philthetube

Established Member
A door opened and closed on a moving Victoria Line train I was traveling on in the early 80s.

Luckily we had just gone past Oxford Circus and the train was quieter. Before then I had been leaning against that door.
There were no interlocks or correct side enabling on the old victoria line stock, this was why drivers had to walk across the cab to the platform side to open the doors at stations

scrapy

Established Member
I found this earlier: https://twitter.com/johnnicoll8/status/1778424992847331417. I assume the RAIB will end up looking into it.

A 12-second-long video showing a door open on a moving DLR train between Shadwell and Bank.
A door open in traffic is not normally something that the RAIB would investigate. It would probably fall under 'another incident that could have caused death or serious injury had the circumstances been slightly different' so would therefore have had to be be reported to the RAIB immediately but the train operator would lead the investigation.

bramling

Veteran Member

They will normally investigate if they feel there are wider lessons to be learned.

There was one on LU some time ago on the Northern Line where some kids interfered with a butterfly cock as the train was leaving a platform, the driver didn’t notice the loss of pilot light, and it was on a downhill gradient so the train was able to continue. No RAIB investigation as the root cause was quickly determined.

Taunton

Established Member
Looks like nobody thought to press the PassComm. Much more exciting to reach for your phone to video it to post on Twitter than actually bring it to the staff attention and have it sorted out.

Trackman

Established Member
Looks like nobody thought to press the PassComm. Much more exciting to reach for your phone to video it to post on Twitter than actually bring it to the staff attention and have it sorted out.
They are not using pass comm for reason - as they know they will get stuck their for ages. What they fail to forget would they forgive themselves if someone fell out, for instance a young child.

greyman42

Established Member
They are not using pass comm for reason - as they know they will get stuck their for ages. What they fail to forget would they forgive themselves if someone fell out, for instance a young child.
They might have looked at the situation and thought that unlikely. As you say, they might be aware that they will be stuck there for ages.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Given that passenger emergency alarms are typically located near the doors, the train is quite clearly not busy with everyone seated and nobody near the doors, it seems to me quite sensible that nobody operated the alarm in between stations as this could have resulted in someone falling out.

MCR247

Established Member
Given that passenger emergency alarms are typically located near the doors, the train is quite clearly not busy with everyone seated and nobody near the doors, it seems to me quite sensible that nobody operated the alarm in between stations as this could have resulted in someone falling out.
Especially given the DLR is known for having lots of sideways movement at ‘speed’ - the section to/from Bank being one of these sections.