• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU's last direct train link with Russia is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

daodao

Established Member
But surely the transit trains from Russia proper to Kaliningrad (via Belarus and Lithuania) didn't anyway have a passenger stop in Vilnius, even though they stand at that station for some minutes en route. So they might still pause there without it being shown on their schedule?

NB - do any transit services access Russia from Kaliningrad via Lithuania and Latvia, as opposed to via Lithuania and Belarus? Or is that not an approved transit route? (I'm pretty sure the St Petersburg - Warsaw through trains, years ago, used to arrive in Vilnius having come via Latvia. Once when I was on a Tallinn-Warsaw sleeper, the service waited for some while at Vilnius waiting for the St Petersburg arrival so that the two services could be combined for the overnight journey to Warsaw,)
The "public" Vilna/Vilnius stop on trains from Russia/Belarus to Kaliningrad has only been removed recently.

The railway link from Riga to Kaliningrad via Lithuania was removed some years ago, as have a number of other formerly key rail routes in the Baltic states. The EU doesn't seem interested in fostering 1.524 m gauge rail development in these countries, just the planned 1.435 m gauge Rail Baltica line from Tallinn to Sestokai on the Polish/Lithuanian border. Trains from St Petersburg to Kaliningrad were re-routed via Belarus and Vilna/Vilnius some years ago.

It should be noted that it is only EU/NATO countries (plus Australia/New Zealand) that have cut off travel links to/from Belarus/Russia due to the Ukrainian conflict. Most other countries have maintained pre-existing air links; this includes the whole of Asia (including Israel and Turkey)/Africa/Latin America plus Serbia.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Finland has ceased all rail freight traffic with Russia as of midday Sunday.

Finnish private operators affected include Operail and Fenniarail.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Turkey doesn’t border Russia either.
You just fly into Serbia. Air Serbia doubled Moscow service after the sanctions hit and is still running a daily flight even now.
Istanbul is a much more significant air hub than Belgrade, with routes to all parts.
Interesting that FR24 shows Turkish airlines flying from Istanbul to Moscow west of Ukraine, while Russian airlines go via the eastern Black Sea/Caucasus and up the Volga - there's a large no-fly area in southern Russia, adjacent to Ukraine.

Also interesting that Bulgaria, historically like Serbia a firm acolyte of Moscow (but now in the EU and NATO), is following EU sanctions.
It's even more complicated in Montenegro.

Last edited:

Gag Halfrunt

The last Allegro train from St. Petersburg for the foreseeable future rolled into Helsinki on Sunday evening at 7pm, carrying concerned and confused passengers.

Finnish state-owned rail company VR announced the suspension of all trains to and from Russia last Friday with no scheduled date for when the twice-daily service might resume.

Yle interviewed passengers as they disembarked from the service on Saturday evening, finding the general mood to be full of dejection and worry.

Golghar

Also interesting that Bulgaria, historically like Serbia a firm acolyte of Moscow (but now in the EU and NATO), is following EU sanctions.
In both World Wars Bulgaria was allied to the side fighting against Russia/USSR.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
But surely the transit trains from Russia proper to Kaliningrad (via Belarus and Lithuania) didn't anyway have a passenger stop in Vilnius, even though they stand at that station for some minutes en route. So they might still pause there without it being shown on their schedule?

I don't know if they did or didn't, but Vilnius station has a proper border crossing within the station, similar to Grodno and Brest. It was certainly used for Minsk and Grodno trains, but I have no idea about the transit trains.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
The "public" Vilna/Vilnius stop on trains from Russia/Belarus to Kaliningrad has only been removed recently.

The railway link from Riga to Kaliningrad via Lithuania was removed some years ago, as have a number of other formerly key rail routes in the Baltic states. The EU doesn't seem interested in fostering 1.524 m gauge rail development in these countries, just the planned 1.435 m gauge Rail Baltica line from Tallinn to Sestokai on the Polish/Lithuanian border. Trains from St Petersburg to Kaliningrad were re-routed via Belarus and Vilna/Vilnius some years ago.

It should be noted that it is only EU/NATO countries (plus Australia/New Zealand) that have cut off travel links to/from Belarus/Russia due to the Ukrainian conflict. Most other countries have maintained pre-existing air links; this includes the whole of Asia (including Israel and Turkey)/Africa/Latin America plus Serbia.

Hi - thanks. I didn't realise the Vilnius stop was actually usable until recently by passengers on the "intra-Russia" transit trains. I'd always assumed that they were "less policed" by Russian officals, being seen as an "internal" trip, in return for being effectively "no entry" and "no exit" at any stations after Belarus and before Kaliningrad.

I don't know if they did or didn't, but Vilnius station has a proper border crossing within the station, similar to Grodno and Brest. It was certainly used for Minsk and Grodno trains, but I have no idea about the transit trains.

Thanks for this. I didn't know that there was a "border" set-up at Vilnius station these days. On a Tallinn-Warsaw through journey many years back, though post Soviet Union, there wasn't a great deal of border activity anywhere in the 3 Baltic states - including during the station stop at Vilnius - other than checking passports on board a couple of times. But at Grodno - the Vilnius-Warsaw through route went through that corner of Belarus in those days - it was a different story ... hours spent in a hut by the trackside arguing with Belarusian officials about what visa I should or shouldn't have had, while they were changing the bogies in the middle of the night. (More like a proper old-fashioned border experience!)

daodao

Established Member
The cessation (hopefully temporary) of this key link between Helsinki and St Petersburg was discussed on the BBC Radio 4 news bulletin "The World Tonight" last night (28/3/22). On board the inaugural service in 2010 were the Finnish president and Russian prime minister. At one time, this "high speed" service was run 4 times daily.

railwaytrack

Turkey doesn’t border Russia either.

You just fly into Serbia. Air Serbia doubled Moscow service after the sanctions hit and is still running a daily flight even now.
So how does that work? Does that mean airplanes from Serbia to Russia have to fly from a very long diversion Serbia - Montenegro - Mediterranean Sea - Turkey - Black Sea - Russia as i think that is the only way to avoid EU airspace?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
So how does that work? Does that mean airplanes from Serbia to Russia have to fly from a very long diversion Serbia - Montenegro - Mediterranean Sea - Turkey - Black Sea - Russia as i think that is the only way to avoid EU airspace?
No, Serbia is not affected by sanctions so they may perfectly well overfly the EU to and from Russia. It's only Russian airlines which are banned. Many Russians are going over land borders to neighbouring states, or heading off from there to the Middle East.

railwaytrack

No, Serbia is not affected by sanctions so they may perfectly well overfly the EU to and from Russia. It's only Russian airlines which are banned. Many Russians are going over land borders to neighbouring states, or heading off from there to the Middle East.
Thank you. That makes sense. I know the land borders are open but i thought that the air borders with the EU were closed. I think i had misunderstood it and thought it was a ban on all flights rather than just Russian based airlines. That is good to hear that there are still some direct flights to and from Serbia for people to use.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Hi - thanks. I didn't realise the Vilnius stop was actually usable until recently by passengers on the "intra-Russia" transit trains. I'd always assumed that they were "less policed" by Russian officals, being seen as an "internal" trip, in return for being effectively "no entry" and "no exit" at any stations after Belarus and before Kaliningrad.

I also didn't realise this, but it makes sense - Russian and Belarusian citizens need a special transit visa and a special railway pass for this journey, although it (was?) is issued with minimal fuss. From looking online, it appears that trains in Kaliningrad went through border control on-board at Chernyshevskoye, whereas it was previously done on-board at Nesterov.

Like you, I was under the impression that these trains operated as corridor trains, but I've found elsewhere that there are (were?) definitely controls carried out on both entry and exit from Lithuania. It seems that the same applies/d to the Kaliningrad-St Petersburg trains.

Thanks for this. I didn't know that there was a "border" set-up at Vilnius station these days. On a Tallinn-Warsaw through journey many years back, though post Soviet Union, there wasn't a great deal of border activity anywhere in the 3 Baltic states - including during the station stop at Vilnius - other than checking passports on board a couple of times. But at Grodno - the Vilnius-Warsaw through route went through that corner of Belarus in those days - it was a different story ... hours spent in a hut by the trackside arguing with Belarusian officials about what visa I should or shouldn't have had, while they were changing the bogies in the middle of the night. (More like a proper old-fashioned border experience!)

Yes, there's a border crossing somewhere within the station at Vilnius. I'm not sure at all that the passenger stop at Vilnius used these facilities, as it appears that full border control was carried out on both entry and exit to Lithuania. To the best of my understanding, the railway travel document essentially allows people to transit through Lithuania without complying with full Lithuanian entry rules, including duty-free allowances.

I *think* the only purpose of these border crossing facilities in Vilnius was to speed up the Vilnius-Minsk train (and possibly the Vilnius-Grodno train, when it ran), as otherwise it would have to make a lengthy stop shortly after leaving Vilnius. The controls themselves were carried out somewhere in the basement of Vilnius railway station, and I believe that it was planned (but not implemented?) for Minsk Railway Station to have the same - so the train could then run non-stop between the two cities.

As a curious aside, Vilnius railway station also has a duty free shop 'railside'.

Some very weird things are going on with the Moscow-Kaliningrad train as well. I've just checked the timetable, and it takes 9 hours to go from Smarhoń in Belarus to Chernyshevskoe in Russia. Surely this isn't normal?

P Binnersley

The border control at Vilnius is in the station subway. It is also used for the (currently suspended) trains to Minsk.

A look at an old (2001) Thomas Cook timetable shows Minsk-Kaliningrad as about 11 hours, roughly the same as currently.

Chester1

Established Member

Thank you. That makes sense. I know the land borders are open but i thought that the air borders with the EU were closed. I think i had misunderstood it and thought it was a ban on all flights rather than just Russian based airlines. That is good to hear that there are still some direct flights to and from Serbia for people to use.

The EU could impose a ban on flights using its airspace that are travelling too or from Russia but for now chooses not to. It would anger the Serbian government and just divert more traffic to the new mega airport in Istanbul.

I also didn't realise this, but it makes sense - Russian and Belarusian citizens need a special transit visa and a special railway pass for this journey, although it (was?) is issued with minimal fuss. From looking online, it appears that trains in Kaliningrad went through border control on-board at Chernyshevskoye, whereas it was previously done on-board at Nesterov.

Like you, I was under the impression that these trains operated as corridor trains, but I've found elsewhere that there are (were?) definitely controls carried out on both entry and exit from Lithuania. It seems that the same applies/d to the Kaliningrad-St Petersburg trains.

I took the train between Kaliningrad and Kaunas about 5 years ago and the checks were done on the train. It may soon transit Lithuania without stopping at a station. I doubt Lithuania would want the agro from stopping the service but at this stage they probably want as few Russians visiting Lithuania as possible (and vice versa).

The Helsinki service seems to have been allowed to help foreigners trapped in Russia and for liberal Russians to escape. The former has been achieved and the latter is now adequately served by flights to Turkey. It does seem the EU is slowly tightening the transport noose on Russia.

P Binnersley

I doubt Lithuania would want the agro from stopping the service but at this stage they probably want as few Russians visiting Lithuania as possible (and vice versa).
Lithuania is ~5% ethnic Russian and the Vilnius stop was primarily for them. Estonia and Latvia are ~25% ethnic Russian which is why they still had a daily train to Moscow.

Chester1

Established Member
Lithuania is ~5% ethnic Russian and the Vilnius stop was primarily for them. Estonia and Latvia are ~25% ethnic Russian which is why they still had a daily train to Moscow.

Under current circumstances it would be reasonable to expect them to travel to and then change in Belarus. While its a vassal state of Russia, its less heavily sanctioned and less of a threat. That would be less reasonable action for Latvia and Estonia.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
The border control at Vilnius is in the station subway. It is also used for the (currently suspended) trains to Minsk.

A look at an old (2001) Thomas Cook timetable shows Minsk-Kaliningrad as about 11 hours, roughly the same as currently.

I don't think the border control post in Vilnius is used for these corridor trains, so it would only be the Minsk train that uses it.

Gag Halfrunt

The Finnish state-owned railway company VR on Monday announced the firing of its chief executive officer, Lauri Sipponen. Sipponen's run lasted less than a year, as he only took the job last August.

VR Group's board chairman, Kjell Forsen, declined to reveal why Sipponen had been fired. He told news agency STT that he and Sipponen had agreed to keep the reasoning under wraps, but noted that no illegalities were involved.

Forsen also denied that the CEO's dismissal was connected to decisions the railway company has taken in the past month regarding train traffic to and from Russia.

Francis

The EU could impose a ban on flights using its airspace that are travelling too or from Russia but for now chooses not to. It would anger the Serbian government and just divert more traffic to the new mega airport in Istanbul.

I took the train between Kaliningrad and Kaunas about 5 years ago and the checks were done on the train. It may soon transit Lithuania without stopping at a station. I doubt Lithuania would want the agro from stopping the service but at this stage they probably want as few Russians visiting Lithuania as possible (and vice versa).

The Helsinki service seems to have been allowed to help foreigners trapped in Russia and for liberal Russians to escape. The former has been achieved and the latter is now adequately served by flights to Turkey. It does seem the EU is slowly tightening the transport noose on Russia.
What about Moscow/St Petersburg flights to and from Kaliningrad. Are they banned from overflying Lithuania or Poland. Do they therefore have to fly round over the Baltic Sea?

DanielB

What about Moscow/St Petersburg flights to and from Kaliningrad. Are they banned from overflying Lithuania or Poland. Do they therefore have to fly round over the Baltic Sea?
Yes they are banned overflying the EU. Have seen several screenshots of Flightradar showing them passing over the sea, there's a tiny gap between Finland and Estonia which is international airspace (not part of either Finnish or Estonian airspace) they can use.

DanNCL

Established Member
The airspace borders aren't closed as such, but because of sanctions very few airlines can actually cross the airspace borders between the EU and Russia/Belarus. All countries that have banned Russian airlines from entering their airspace have also been banned from entering Russian airspace by the Kremlin. Air Serbia are able to fly across the airspace border as Serbia hasn't banned Russian airlines from entering their airspace so in turn haven't been banned from Russian airspace by the Kremlin.

The other noteable example of airlines continuing to fly across the EU - Russia/Belarus air space border is Europe - Asia flights operated by Chinese airlines as these can still overfly Russia; European and Japanese airlines have to avoid Russian airspace so now either have to fly south over Azerbaijan/Iran or take the Alaskan route to reach Asia from Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.